Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 06:49:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332888 Posts in 13640 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 418585 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5385 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »

I'm quite confident I would die horribly without listen mode.  I think it's actually disabled on the highest difficulty, but I'm not that ambitious.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5386 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »

I was showing off to a friend.... the hell?  For a single father in the construction business and "had Sarah when he was young", Joel's house is DECKED OUT.  Spacious too.

I had exactly the same thought when I played. That and so much about Ellie bothers me. I get why she's so mature, but some of her dialogue makes absolutely no sense. First one to stand out was when she uses the turn of phrase "Jury's still out." I don't know any 14 year-olds NOW that would use that phrase much less one who was born when juries were probably no longer a thing.

But I'm not complaining, because a lot of the stuff she says is spot on and makes me smile, like how she can't get over how ugly the clickers are.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5387 on: July 09, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »

Got Super Mario Galaxy 2 last week and up to 55 stars. Also, at the end of chapter 3 of Resonance of Fate. I like 'em both :)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5388 on: July 09, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »

I love Mario Galaxy 2. There are 240 ACTUAL stars to collect, and not just "120 stars x2" like in Galaxy 1.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5389 on: July 10, 2013, 01:29:06 AM »

Weather isn't cooperating for console gaming. Briefly played Dust and Morrowind. I feel this way about a lot of quests in Bethesda games, but a lot of the quests in Morrowind feel like they resolve the same way. Like...

1. Combat Quest - Go to some dungeon and find whatever object you were told to find/kill whoever you were told to kill. The only difficulty lies in the dungeon design often being /wonky/ and the map geometry not being conducive to moving through. Sometimes you hit stat caps on whether you can kill the quest target, though.

2. Non-combat quest - Go to wherever you're told to go, and find the given item/talk to the given NPC. If it involves an NPC, there'll be some arbitrary stat cap related to one of your personality skills. There might be some other solution although it'll be too obscure to logic into.

Just... get told to do stuff. Do it if you can. or come back later if your stats are too low. Just... checking stuff off a checklist.

Then again maybe that's just RPGs in general. I think I got burnt out on Geneforge for the same reason.

Same reason why it's easy to get burnt out on Metroidoids. You're not figuring stuff OUT, you're like, progressing till you see some obstacle you don't have the ability to get past, and then noting that you'll need to come back later. Not SOLVING anything, just waiting till you have the key item.

Dust is doing it too -- I'm finding things that aren't puzzles that need to be solved but are just things I need to come back to when I get the slide ability.

Maybe that's why Ico's brilliant. You have a fucking stick and you can jump. Everything you have is right there in front of you and figuring out what to do is entirely on YOU.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:40:42 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5390 on: July 10, 2013, 04:16:21 AM »

Just beat The Last of Us. I'd rate it at a solid 9/10.

Through and through it was fun, and just the right length. For some reason, I was able to play this game for long stretches at a time, so there's something got to be said about how it just grabs you.

I doubt I'll be playing it again though, experiencing the story once is enough for me, I will now have to go trade this in and put it towards Tales of Xillia!!

Up next, is either finish up Trails in the Sky (just started chapter 4), or give Metal Gear Peace Walker a go on the PS3, or say screw it and play FFXIII-2. Decisions, decisions.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5391 on: July 10, 2013, 07:20:57 AM »

Beat the Last Story yesterday. Overall the game was good, but several portions of it suffered with fights that really really exposed the flaws in the battle system. To the point where I spent three hours dying on one optional encounter. And several other hours just cursing at stupid stuff like my character attacking when I was trying to walk around something or the fact that late game fights suddenly depend on reflecting attacks when you could completely ignore it before. >.>
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5392 on: July 10, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »

The intro for The Last of Us. Damn. Practically had me leaking. Probably because I have a child about Sarah's age.
I'm playing on Easy. Turned on lock on targeting, too. I was excited to see that option! Wish it was in the Uncharted games. Even on easy I didn't find those games easy. The gun play drove me nuts.
I only was able to play an hour. Tess is one tough chica.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5393 on: July 10, 2013, 03:57:10 PM »

Atlus is doing a 75% off sale on PSP titles on PSN. I got me Class of Heroes and Growlanser.

Never played Class of Heroes. I expect Etrian Odyssey but less good.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5394 on: July 10, 2013, 04:50:57 PM »

The intro for The Last of Us. Damn. Practically had me leaking. Probably because I have a child about Sarah's age.
I'm playing on Easy. Turned on lock on targeting, too. I was excited to see that option! Wish it was in the Uncharted games. Even on easy I didn't find those games easy. The gun play drove me nuts.
I only was able to play an hour. Tess is one tough chica.

The main problem with easy mode is basically guns won't kill you, but no matter what, Clickers will always be the OHKO; so how "easy" easy is kinda varies (expect to still die a lot).  I do like how, unlike Uncharted, death is very, very sudden and just cuts to black.  If it means anything, on easy, I died "only" 45 times. x)

I really wanna hit up the harder mode, but I do kinda feel bad that New Game + options don't care over to other modes (or AT LEAST the next difficulty higher.....mainly because I'm a pansy who's already stressed out enough with school/work to repeat parts over and over -- like with Annubis' 200+ death count).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5395 on: July 10, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »

For what it is, I still had fun. I did not mind the deaths at all. I saw exactly where I had messed up and tried to do better the next time.
It helps that the encounters are relatively short and you usually only lose a minute or two.
Also, some of the deaths were suicide because I wanted to try and do better (death brings you to the latest 'in-battle checkpoint' while restart encounter restarts the whole shebang)

There's only 2 areas I'd say were frustrating... which are sadly back to back.
Code:
When you are Ellie and you are in the cabin with the guy, and just after when they come from the roof. You have no items, very limited ammo (only a rifle and a bow too) and you have to hold on inside this 'cage' against more than a dozen of them...

But yeah, I quickly understood that OHKO clickers was bullshit, and thus my first survival upgrade was the defensive shiv. Saved my ass A LOT.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:41:38 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5396 on: July 10, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »

For what it is, I still had fun. I did not mind the deaths at all. I saw exactly where I had messed up and tried to do better the next time.
It helps that the encounters are relatively short and you usually only lose a minute or two.

There's only 2 areas I'd say were frustrating... which are sadly back to back.
Code:
When you are Ellie and you are in the cabin with the guy, and just after when they come from the roof. You have no items, very limited ammo (only a rifle and a bow too) and you have to hold on inside this 'cage' against more than a dozen of them...

But yeah, I quickly understood that OHKO clickers was bullshit, and thus my first survival upgrade was the defensive shiv. Saved my ass A LOT.

Is the defensive Shiv a manual thing?

I'm also considering a harder mode with what I learned from my first trek of the first game (where things are, how to do them, etc.).  Even the first time around can suck though; I hated how goofy I felt when after I'd go into a situation like Rambo and shooting things up till the sky burned, only to see how many things you can hide behind and where good spots for stealth kills are.

Code:
And yeah, the parts with David, while either fighting with or against him, are brutal.  Certainly doesn't help that Elie has *none* of Joel's skill pills helping out.   But also, like I touched on just a moment before, I felt like an idiot during that scene because of how much stuff is lying around that area that I never noticed to grab because I was too busy crafting it.  ...That rifle she gets from David is the cat's ass though.

Kudos to Naughty Dog for making Winter a really strange and out-of-the-ordinary chapter.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:43:04 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: July 10, 2013, 05:45:50 PM »

Metal Gear Rising: Blade Wolf DLC. I think I liked it more than Jetstream Sam's. He plays differently whereas Sam and Raiden are similar, more varied stuff to do, while Sam repeated a bunch of stuff Raiden did, bosses included. The end boss for Blade Wolf was interesting to say the least, I'm glad it was a new character and not one from the main story. And Mistral... well, at least she got more screen time, even if most of it was dwarf gekkos holding her ass up (literally). Made me wish she wasn't such a painfully easy boss in the main game.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:46:56 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5398 on: July 10, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »

Is the defensive Shiv a manuel thing?

It's a pill thing. The first level lets you use a Shiv to save yourself (and does ~50% damage to the clicker)
The second upgrade doesn't break the shiv if it's at full capacity (if you found shiv upgrade manuals)

Basically, you can literally walk around in clickers with a full capacity shiv and shiv all the fuckers as they try to bite you.
Lose no life and no shiv. It's awesome.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5399 on: July 10, 2013, 05:50:33 PM »

I never actually got that upgrade because honestly I didn't have a lot of trouble with clickers.  Clickers are dumb and easy to avoid/sneak-up-on/trap.  Humans are the worst.

Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: