Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 03:26:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338121 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 443147 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5505 on: July 23, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »

Finally got the 3 trophies on the multiplayer of The Last of Us.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5506 on: July 23, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »

According to my save file, I am 72% done with Last of Us. Don't know if that counts collectibles or not, but there you have it. My favorite thing about this game is the way the gameplay is paced. Every really intense bit of gameplay is followed immediately by a "safe" section of character chatter, exploring, and grabbing everything that's not tied down.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5507 on: July 23, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »

Very little time for much gaming, been playing a game or so in MLB 12 The Show after work, actually just won the World Series as a pitcher for the Rockies in my 4th season, got the CY Young Award too, yeah me, lol

Everything's Eventual
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5508 on: July 24, 2013, 12:35:12 AM »

Asura's Wrath is pretty good fun.

I actually dig the story... It's pretty coherent compared to the junk that was... El Shaddai. (I know they're totally different but those are two of the more "Japanese" games I've played recently)
I'm considering picking this up, but am concerned about all the QT events. Are they forgiving at all? Or you have a split second and that's it? I tend ti have terrible reaction with those types of things.

The Last of Us - I'm now hanging with some crazy dude. It's weird because the game keeps wanting to move me along, but I want to explore and look for items and such. It's definitely more open than past ND games.
I'm digging all the customization I can do now with weapons, items, etc. I tend to stress over which things to upgrade, though.

There are QTEs for sure, and they are not challenging and for the most part are forgiving... not like god of war or other games. I'm still early in and rarely is there a string of them greater than 3. I'd say the over the top nature of the game and the use of the QTEs make it more of a parody of games that use it heavily. The game is cheap now, and worth it. Great art style

I bet you'd have a good time with it.

I take some of that back. There are quite a bit of qtes in the boss fights.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:06:38 AM by Yoda » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5509 on: July 24, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »

What would it take for JRPGs to be popular in the west again? Is it even possible? -- NeoGAF

OP doesn't seem to understand what "Sonic status" actually means.

Edit: This is pretty much the same thing Shinji Mikami said a few years ago.

"Here's some truth for you:

they never were popular.

They have always been niche, aside from a few key franchises - mostly under the Square umbrella. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Poke'mon are big exceptions to the rule. For a jrpg, selling 200k is often considered a success. 1 million? Do you realize how rare it is for a jrpg, of any era, to have sold that much? Even in the psx era only games with the Squaresoft logo pulled that much weight.

The idea that jrpgs were EVER popular in the west is one giant, adorable myth."
-- Lin Siniang, Post #38
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:32:42 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5510 on: July 24, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »

What's the deal with The Last of Us, and it's complete lack of trophy awarding? I'm almost halfway through the game, searched and collected everything I can find, yet I haven't gotten a single trophy yet. Crazy.
Although, I recall hardly getting any trophies in the Uncharted games as well. Why are they so tight with the trophies? It's not like I'm a trophy hound or anything, but it's still satisfying to get one every now and then.
One thing that bugs me about the game is that on several occasions now I have been at a loss for where to go. I wish the game had a goal icon or something like Tomb Raider. Yes, I like my hand held.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5511 on: July 24, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »

What's the deal with The Last of Us, and it's complete lack of trophy awarding? I'm almost halfway through the game, searched and collected everything I can find, yet I haven't gotten a single trophy yet. Crazy.
Although, I recall hardly getting any trophies in the Uncharted games as well. Why are they so tight with the trophies? It's not like I'm a trophy hound or anything, but it's still satisfying to get one every now and then.
One thing that bugs me about the game is that on several occasions now I have been at a loss for where to go. I wish the game had a goal icon or something like Tomb Raider. Yes, I like my hand held.

Yeaah.  Even when you think you've found stuff, you honestly didn't ACTUALLY search ever nook in cranny.  If you're going for play #2 I recommend the guide on PS3trophies.org or whatever.

It's also a pretty obnoxious trophy system; you gotta beat the game 8 times at least....wtf,I love the game, but that's just baloney.

Anyways, after a while the camera does tell you where to go??  It's also a good idea to follow the NPC.  Once the room is cleared, they usually head toward an exit or will "stop walking with you" when you're not going the right way.

Final Fantasy 6.  Sabin holds up a house.
I didn't notice this before, but I've always wonder what the deal was with Kefka's Tower (besides aesthetics?).  It has a "spiral" pattern on the ground that circles it.  An NPC in one of the first towns note all sorts of debris apparently was gathered up during the major Balance-to-Ruin sequence to create Kefka's Tower and -- I suppose -- the organized mes around it.  GODDAMN why isn't this game in HD?  Creating the Tower amidst all the world's chaos would have been an awesome FMV.

While I hate timed sequences, and having the Floating Continent and the House collapsing events are waaay too side by side for me to feel comfortable, I still say the Opera House is the closest call with respect to reaching the goal on time.  If you don't dodge the rats, you'll probably run out of time.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5512 on: July 24, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »

Even when you think you've found stuff, you honestly didn't ACTUALLY search ever nook in cranny.  If you're going for play #2 I recommend the guide on PS3trophies.org or whatever.

It's also a pretty obnoxious trophy system; you gotta beat the game 8 times at least....wtf,I love the game, but that's just baloney.

Easier than trying to get any of these trophies:

You Can't Break Me & You Run, I'll Shoot / Uncharted 2 (multiplayer)

Tactical Challenger / Vanquish

Rockhound & Stunt Master / inFamous
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5513 on: July 24, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »

The Last of Us is ridiculous for trophies.  I had a total of two trophies when I beat it.  Two.  One of which was the trophy for beating the game.  The other was a trophy for crafting every item at least once, which is definitely the easiest trophy in the game and I assume most people get it.

That's nothing like Uncharted.  I typically get like 30-40% of trophies on one playthrough without a guide for those games.  I think the worst part is that all the collectables are divided into categories and for trophies it's 100% or nothing (and there are a ridiculous number of collectables so getting 100% without a guide is nuts...).  Uncharted would give you trophies for reaching certain percentages of collectables.  Since I'm probably never going to get 100% of anything I'm just not going to get any trophies for collecting stuff at all...

Yeah, The Last of Us is a great game but it's downright awful for trophies.

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5514 on: July 24, 2013, 02:03:59 PM »

While I hate timed sequences, and having the Floating Continent and the House collapsing events are waaay too side by side for me to feel comfortable, I still say the Opera House is the closest call with respect to reaching the goal on time.  If you don't dodge the rats, you'll probably run out of time.

When I first played the game, the timed events gave me mini heart attacks. To help alleviate timed anxiety for the house, I just bought a bunch of smoke bombs, had the cursor on memory rather than reset, and ran from battles that way. Was able to get all the treasures with a couple of seconds to spare.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5515 on: July 24, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »

When I first played the game, the timed events gave me mini heart attacks. To help alleviate timed anxiety for the house, I just bought a bunch of smoke bombs, had the cursor on memory rather than reset, and ran from battles that way. Was able to get all the treasures with a couple of seconds to spare.

Yeah I just ran from each fight in the house.  I skipped a lot of the treasures (I was happy enough with an Ether and Heal Rod).  I was the same...I was...um, like 6-7 years old when FF6 FIRST came out on SNES, so those sequences gave me a bit of a fright (the creepy music, world getting destroyed, and the really disastrous state of the world burnt up and dreadfully depressing organ in the World of Ruin do things to a kid...I guess).

For it's time though, it did a damn fine job illustrating a world post-disaster though.

Even when you think you've found stuff, you honestly didn't ACTUALLY search ever nook in cranny.  If you're going for play #2 I recommend the guide on PS3trophies.org or whatever.

Easier than trying to get any of these trophies:

You Can't Break Me & You Run, I'll Shoot / Uncharted 2 (multiplayer)

Tactical Challenger / Vanquish

Rockhound & Stunt Master / inFamous

Yeah I know those.  But I said "obnoxious", not hard.  I generally hate a lot of "100%" trophies.  I dunno, damn things are sticky topic for me.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5516 on: July 24, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »

Yeah, after the Uncharted games I just say fuck it to trophies for Naughty Dog games. I love collectibles, I adore them far more than any person should. But there is NO reason for them to be in a linear game with no level select or such. Yeah, the notes tell some interesting stories, but they shouldn't count towards some arbitrary collection percentage.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5517 on: July 24, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »

Just finished James Cameron's Avatar: The Game for PS3. The game was actually pretty decent, and while it wasn't great, it was one of the few Movie to video games that Iliked. The last one I enjoyed was probably Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for PS1.

I am surprised in myself. In the past two weeks I have beaten Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, Bioshock Infinite and Avatar. All three were lent by a friend and I think that is the reason I finished them so fast. If I owned them myself, I probably would have taken months to beat them.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: July 24, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »

Yeah, after the Uncharted games I just say fuck it to trophies for Naughty Dog games. I love collectibles, I adore them far more than any person should. But there is NO reason for them to be in a linear game with no level select or such. Yeah, the notes tell some interesting stories, but they shouldn't count towards some arbitrary collection percentage.

The Uncharted games are the ones I've completed with honestly the least trophies/achievements. I've never platinumed a game nor gotten all of its achievements, but that series in particular I cared the least about collecting things and doing that sort of thing. Dunno why, because I'm more likely to aim for completion in games like Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear Rising.

Played a bit more Saints Row the Third. It sounds like the season pass isn't worth it, but at the very least I want to get Gangstas in Space. Because space. Also been trying to get back into ME3MP every once in a while. Surprisingly, SMTIV has had the slowest progress this week. I guess I'm just in more of a multiplayer mood lately.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5519 on: July 24, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »

Yeah I just ran from each fight in the house.  I skipped a lot of the treasures (I was happy enough with an Ether and Heal Rod).  I was the same...I was...um, like 6-7 years old when FF6 FIRST came out on SNES, so those sequences gave me a bit of a fright (the creepy music, world getting destroyed, and the really disastrous state of the world burnt up and dreadfully depressing organ in the World of Ruin do things to a kid...I guess).

For it's time though, it did a damn fine job illustrating a world post-disaster though.

You know you could always hold off on the collapsing house sequence until you've returned with a few more people. Its especially helpful to have more than one person for the dungeon since the enemies within tend to sport petrification inducing attacks requiring you to burn a relic slot on an Amulet. Although that's less of a problem in every other version of the game outside of the original or its direct ports since you don't need to dedicate the other relic slot to a pair of Running Shoes.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: