Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 03:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327393 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 386070 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5685 on: August 14, 2013, 03:33:13 AM »

@CluelessWonder: RE6 is not perfect but it is better than RE5. If you have a personal problem or something with 'Action Horror' then stick with Resident Evil Revelations that is made pretty much for fans that were screaming to the skies for an RE that put more emphasis on the horror and atmosphere.

That said, I've wondered for a few years now how Capcom is gonna finish one of these days the main series. They can still expand as much as they want the story and scenarios for RE7 and beyond, but seriously I really think this should be over in some form already.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:39:14 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5686 on: August 14, 2013, 03:54:12 AM »

I do find a creepy atmosphere and not knowing what lurks around the corner to be scarier than hordes of monsters attacking me.  Honestly I didn't like 5.  I still haven't mustered up enough interest to finish it.   I thought 4 was an excellent game.  If 6 is better than 5, perhaps I will check it out.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: August 14, 2013, 04:18:19 AM »

Man, I edit out a Xenoblade spoiler and twenty minutes later a quoted post keeps it? Well whatever, fixed, but don't forget the game IS kind of rare and going for an absurd price so it's not like everyone got to play it or will get to play it easily.

Sorry about that. I'm usually the one that has to avoid spoilers. I assumed everyone on here had played it, which was dumb of me. I'll use spoiler tags next time.

It's admittedly easy to forget at times, but it IS a late spoiler and a relatively big deal in the game, and not even too old of a game (in English) so best safe than sorry.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5688 on: August 14, 2013, 06:20:42 AM »

Picross e2 is out?  I love picross.   I've been a fan since the ds games.  I only recently discovered picross e1 was available digitally and am currently playing it.  Normally I don't like the eshop (no account system), but picross is worth it.  It is super relaxing to play before going to bed. 

It has been pout for a while and I think we'll be getting Picross e3 soon. I want Picross e3... I NEED Picross e3!

I've already played through all Picross available on the (3)DS, including stuff like Color Cross and the old Mario's Picross, so I really need something new.

Speaking of Picross, just finished Mario's Super Picross. I have no idea what half of the pictures were supposed to be (the Japanese text isn't helping), but whatever. Whether that thing I just solved is supposed to be a dick or a vacuum cleaner, Picross is Picross, and Picross is fun!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5689 on: August 14, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »

What!  I didn't even know picross e3  existed.  I've seen other picross like games but never tried them since it wasn't the picross brand and I was doubtful of the quality. 

Currently Reading: 

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5690 on: August 14, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »

Moving along in Last of Us, and starting to think about what I'm going to play next. I need something to fill the void until Beyond: Two Souls comes out on October 8th.
I can go back to Darksiders 2, which I WAS enjoying.
I can go back to Xenoblade, which I was also enjoying, but intimidates me with it's time requirement.
I'm thinking about buying Asuras Wrath, as well as Dragons Dogma, which looks fun.
So many possibilities!

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5691 on: August 14, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »

Xenoblade  did take me quite some time to complete but it is definitely worth it. 

If you are looking for something short, Asura's Wrath fits the bill.  It is divided up like tv episodes so it gives you a good stopping point if you are pressed for time.  I finished it in a weekend (nonstop gaming).

I still have yet to play any Darksiders and DD.

Currently Reading: 

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5692 on: August 14, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »

@GrimReality: I would recommend Asura's Wrath and Dragon's Dogma. I don't have a good feeling about Beyond: Two Souls personally...

I do find a creepy atmosphere and not knowing what lurks around the corner to be scarier than hordes of monsters attacking me.  Honestly I didn't like 5.  I still haven't mustered up enough interest to finish it.   I thought 4 was an excellent game.  If 6 is better than 5, perhaps I will check it out.

The problem that going with 'Action Horror' is that they never find a balance between atmosphere, horror and action like RE4 did at the time. Everyone just go all out with action but at least RE6 does the action part as best as it can without pretending that the series is really about horror anymore.

The characters in RE have seen so much shit too that it make sense the route the series went focusing more on action. I totally get why so much people have problems with the direction the series went, but that's how things are nowadays.

And honestly, there hasn't been a "pure" Survival Horror game in years. I think the last ones were Siren: New Translation and Fatal Frame IV... right now though the only other Survival Horror worth a damn is The Evil Within directed by Shinji Mikami. The most interesting aspect of this game is that they are trying to find a way to reinvent the horror genre and to make the horror feel tense and engaging again.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5693 on: August 14, 2013, 12:32:37 PM »

What!  I didn't even know picross e3  existed.  I've seen other picross like games but never tried them since it wasn't the picross brand and I was doubtful of the quality. 

It just came out in Japan and I bet we'll get it in September. As for similar games, Color Cross is kinda cool. It doesn't play as well as de Picross games, but working with different colours adds a new layer to the puzzles.
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5694 on: August 14, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »

Feels like I'm nearing the end of GTA IV: The Lost and Damned. I think I'm gonna have to actually force myself to finish it, and will probably not play The Ballad of Gay Tony at all. I'm finding myself suddenly getting damn tired of the GTA IV universe... I've spent too much consistent time there.

Thankfully, I've got Saints Row: The Third being delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to compensate for GTA IV's ultra-seriousness with this slice of wackiness. I've never played it before, but I did enjoy the hell out of the second installment, and this one looks fun as hell. Can't believe the 4th is already coming out next week. I'm too far behind...

Otherwise, making slow progress on Mario Galaxy 2. I only play it now and then... Usually reserve it for when my toddler son wants to watch me play something.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5695 on: August 14, 2013, 12:51:20 PM »

The boyfriend has invited a bunch of his work friends over to play Dungeons and Dragons on Sunday, and apparently I'm supposed to play. ;-;

I dunno how I feel about this. I've never played anything like that, and I especially haven't roleplayed.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5696 on: August 14, 2013, 01:16:33 PM »

^Lightning Bolt!
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5697 on: August 14, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »

I'm out of mana!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5698 on: August 14, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »

Yeahhhhhh, see.

This is really turning me off the idea.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5699 on: August 14, 2013, 01:43:55 PM »

Those are LARPers.  Normal D&D players aren't like that...

Seriously, I think you're overthinking this.  How much 'roleplaying' is required really depends on the group.  Most of my experiences with D&D have involved sitting around drinking beer, shooting the shit, and occasionally fighting an evil wizard or something.  Good times.

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: