Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 11:29:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338151 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 443489 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5700 on: August 14, 2013, 01:47:50 PM »

Well, we will see how it goes. I don't think it will be very serious from what the bf said.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5701 on: August 14, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »

The boyfriend has invited a bunch of his work friends over to play Dungeons and Dragons on Sunday, and apparently I'm supposed to play. ;-;

I dunno how I feel about this. I've never played anything like that, and I especially haven't roleplayed.

Unless his friends are jerks, it's fine to suck at it at first. It's a trained skill more than anything.
You also get better at it the more you play your character because it gets defined.

Me and my friends played a game of Exalted that lasted 5 years. By the end, we knew each of our character like an old friend.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5702 on: August 14, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »

Those are LARPers.  Normal D&D players aren't like that...

Seriously, I think you're overthinking this.  How much 'roleplaying' is required really depends on the group.  Most of my experiences with D&D have involved sitting around drinking beer, shooting the shit, and occasionally fighting an evil wizard or something.  Good times.

Werd. I haven't played pen and paper D&D in almost 2 decades, but I distinctly remember it being a shit-ton of fun. Great memories. I'd love to do it again, but I don't know enough people who would be into it.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: August 14, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »

MGR: Revengeance mode run is going to ruin how I spell 'revenge' or 'vengeance' forever. THANKS A LOT, KOJIMA.

Learning quickly post-Monsoon that parrying everything is apparently the answer. Took 50% off Jetstream Sam's life just by 10-12 successful parries in a row and I dunno maybe some countering in there somewhere.. it's probably how I beat Blade Wolf so fast too. And I'd never knocked the Muramasa out of Sam's hand before. Prooobably because I never used to parry him that much.

Also learned that bringing pincer blades to the Sundowner fight is pointless and slows Raiden down. As soon as I ditched them, I won.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5704 on: August 14, 2013, 04:03:40 PM »

Morrowind - WHY CAN'T I QUIT YOU.

What mods did you decide to use in the end? I remember you mentioning that attacks missing bugged you.

Tales of the Abyss

I just realised that you can switch characters mid battle during the final battle. A Doh moment if I ever had one.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:11:02 PM by Darilon » Logged

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5705 on: August 14, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »

Okay Aeolus, I need your help again.

I'm on
Code:
Prison Island. And I'm trying to get some materials for Colony 6. There's a monster called Inferno Heinrich in the kitchen.

I am level 80. It is level 76. I cannot beat it. I have tried over 15 times and I just get slaughtered every time.

I have changed parties. I have changed gems. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. And I have scoured the internet and cannot find any information about it.

The fact that I can beat the Behemoths that are level 78, but I can't beat one fucking monster that's level 76 is just mind bogglingly fucking retarded.

I have no idea what to do.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5706 on: August 14, 2013, 06:42:18 PM »

I'm on
Code:
Prison Island. And I'm trying to get some materials for Colony 6. There's a monster called Inferno Heinrich in the kitchen.

I am level 80. It is level 76. I cannot beat it. I have tried over 15 times and I just get slaughtered every time.

I have changed parties. I have changed gems. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. And I have scoured the internet and cannot find any information about it.

The fact that I can beat the Behemoths that are level 78, but I can't beat one fucking monster that's level 76 is just mind bogglingly fucking retarded.

Ugh Nebulae are a pain in the ass in general.  Can you knock it down?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5707 on: August 14, 2013, 07:14:23 PM »

I've tried, but it usually does some explodey thing, and then I'm dead within about five seconds.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5708 on: August 14, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »

Tales of Xillia is fun.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5709 on: August 14, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »

Tales of the Abyss

Finally finished it. The game was great but the ending slightly confused me. I think I understand it but at the same time I could be wrong.

Code:
I am guessing it was similar to what happened to the replica Cheagle except in reverse with Asch being "sacrificed" and absorbed into Luke. What I am confused about is if it is Luke in Luke's body, Luke in Asch's body, Asch with Lukes memories or a fusion of the two in both body and mind. Although even if you excuse the hair growth due to time between the final battle and epilogue, the voice was different.

I kind of preferred Asch over Luke so I would be happy thinking that the unlikely happened and Asch came back alive instead with the promise being meant for Natalia rather than Tear.

Speaking of Natalia, she totally got the short end of the stick in the main cast where the main story is involved. Even though her "father" took back what he did, it doesn't erase the fact he disowned her and was going to sentence her to be executed. Then she was the one to kill her biological father. Finally the love of her life dies in the final dungeon and she has to watch as Luke comes back from the dead but Asch remains dead. It is almost worse if it is a fusion as her true love is basically going to be with Tear if her running towards Luke/Lasch is any indicator.   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:53:40 PM by Darilon » Logged

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5710 on: August 14, 2013, 08:03:40 PM »

I'm on
Code:

Have you tried equipping Spike Defense gems? Usually when I find myself losing lots of life fast its probably because I'm inflicting the damage to myself from spike damage. Nebula enemies have a tendency of possessing some form of Spike, either inflicting damage or status debuffs. Generally speaking, look for purple damage numbers when attacking, and if you see those and not just from somebody with a Lightning Gem attached to their weapons, then its time to pump up your spike defense.

Also Ether Down and Ether Defense gems should help mitigate the UM's damage output. And it's been a while so I don't quite recall the specifics on that particular UM but I think it might be a rare case of needing Pierce Resistance.

Alternatively, just get either Reyn or Dunban on board and have either one of them use their self revival aura around when you think it'll explode. Even if the hit's fatal, they should bounce right back.

Alternate alternatively, when the UM gets in range of its suicide attack, break out a chain attack with a party with excellent rapport with each other and hope to proc enough follow up attacks to create a 5x chain and drop your biggest damage attacks on it as a finisher. There are a few skills that boost the odds of the party sustaining a chain attack for longer so you might want to spec for that.

The boyfriend has invited a bunch of his work friends over to play Dungeons and Dragons on Sunday, and apparently I'm supposed to play. ;-;

I dunno how I feel about this. I've never played anything like that, and I especially haven't roleplayed.

Here's a few suggestions for beginners.

First and most importantly is that this is not Final Fantasy. Don't expect huge numbers, spamming attack mindlessly, or hoarding items like candy.

Second the easiest classes to pick up for beginners are Warrior, Berserker, and a Cleric capable of healing. Warriors are bash and smash meatsicles, pure and simple. Barbarians are bash and smash when they go on a 'zerker rage but are otherwise more athletic Warriors. And while Clerics have to deal with deity bullshit its easy to pick out a deity with healing based emphasis, plus everybody will want to keep you alive since you'll be a team healer.

Third don't hoard or turn away resources. Famous last words "No thanks, I'm fine.".

Fourth don't be a coward or a douche (unless its in your character to be so, in which case don't over play it). Remember this is just as much a social event as it is a game. If you have a valid reason or you don't want to risk it, just stay back and provide support, keep a look out for rear attacks or traps or something. But if somebody asks for some assistance, provide it. Don't say "I'm not going to fight" or "What if I'm going to need these spells for later" or desperately run into a corner or else the DM is going to make your character piss him/herself and everybody's going to mock you for it.

Fifth, don't be greedy. The oldest trick in the book is to bait traps with loot. Assume everything is trapped and that anything that looks too good to be true, usually is. And of course, don't have your Wizard hoard that +5 Holy Sword of Dragon Slaying unless there's a very specific reason for it.

Sixth, do not underestimate the power of status effects. Remember this isn't Final Fantasy. Status effects are not completely useless, and can be amazing if used well.

Seventh, the Dungeon Master is always right. S/he designed the game you're playing. If the spell needed to resolve the current situation can't possibly be as effective as the DM says it is, then you must use it because it will be exactly as effective as the DM says it is, even if the Player's Manual says otherwise. If everyones' mounts are Robot Unicorns, then everyones' mounts are Robot Unicorns. If your party is joined by Ayra Stark from Game of Thrones then your party has been joined by Ayra Stark from Game of Thrones. If suddenly, God descends from the heavens or was just chilling behind a random door in a dungeon and randomly decides to smite you, then its time to quit this game and find a better DM (it is after all, the DM's job to present a fun and interesting game to play and socialize over, if they suck at that then there's no reason to have to force yourself to play that).

And finally, don't get too attached to your character or their loot. Easy come, easy go. Total Party Kills are not uncommon in D&D.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5711 on: August 14, 2013, 08:19:49 PM »

Okay. I'll er, note all that.

I don't think I'll like this game somehow.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5712 on: August 14, 2013, 08:25:02 PM »

Get the 'running' feat.
Everyone dies, you live =)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5713 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:11 PM »

Morrowind - WHY CAN'T I QUIT YOU.

What mods did you decide to use in the end? I remember you mentioning that attacks missing bugged you.

I actually played it for another 30 minutes after that point and it quit being interesting again, so...

For the combat I just used something called Depth Perception, which can increase your hit chance by 25/50/75/100 percent (I used the 50% version), while make weapon damage based off of your stats. This works nicely.

It's more that the quests never seem to get beyond the egregiously fetch-questy stuff. The ones that DO have interesting alternative solutions are really obscure about what those solutions are.

---edit---

Rogue Galaxy - Out of the prison. IDK why but I'm really getting into this NOW.

(Also I think I got both this and Persona 3 at GameCrazy).

Redguard - Actually made some progress. Huge slowdown in the Temple of Arkay, though. I'll try it again on a Windows 98 VM, but that doesn't support glide at all, and Dosbox's glide emulation is slow. (Actually maybe my XP box with nGlide... hm hm hm )
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:47:38 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5714 on: August 15, 2013, 10:09:07 AM »

Time for a genuine update.

Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
About 50% done. Haven't really played a lot since getting Xillia and Dragon's Crown. I like it well enough. I feel like the gameplay as a whole was slightly better in Sly 2, but the writing is much better in Sly 3. The only thing that's annoying is how much grinding there is for getting all the ThiefNet tools.

Tales of Xillia
Doing sub-events back in Leronde after the party gets back together in Chapter 2. I've said most of what I have to say about the game at this point in the game's thread, but I do want to add a few positives and negatives. For positives, even though it's still essential to explore everywhere between every event to get all the sub-events, I do like that you occassionally get a skit to hint at where you can find a sub-event. Subquest logic in Tales games is always hookey, but at least the team seems to be taking steps to make it less so. For negatives, I have to reiterate that the field areas are shit. They just feel so lifeless compared to Graces or even Vesperia's, etc. world maps.

Dragon's Crown
Not moving very quickly through this game. I'm getting better at it, but I'm still pretty bad at it. I haven't ever run out of life points but I do die at least once or twice in each dungeon. I did just learn the Amazon technique of just keeping enemies juggled until dead. Feels kind of cheap, actually.

Eternal Sonata
Yeah, I gave in and started playing through the PS3 version I picked up. My memory may not be that great, but even I notice just how much more stunning this game looks on the PS3 than it did on the 360. However, I don't remember the game being nearly this difficult. Monsters taking out a third of my HP in one turn (and that's if I successfully block) with no real efficient way of healing just seems kind of unfair. I'm hoping just because I've played this game before I'm not taking enough time to level up and have just found myself under leveled.

Star Ocean 3
As is probably not surprising after seeing this list, I haven't really been playing as much of this as I would like. I'm currently only in the Aqueducts and still having a hard time getting readjusted to the combat.

This is actually pretty common of me lately, I can never keep myself invested in just one game long enough to see it through to the end before moving on to something else. For reference, here's a list of games I'm technically working on at the moment (and this doesn't mean it's my entire backlog, just the ones I'm currently working through):

Torchlight 2
P4 Golden
Grandia
KH Re:Coded
Project X Zone
inFamous
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Batman: Arkham City
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: