Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 04:26:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331925 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 414847 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5730 on: August 17, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

Is it worth 90 bucks though?

Probably. The game is atmospheric as all hell. Like the environments are stunning, the characters behave a great deal more intelligently (or perhaps less stupidly) than your typical JRPG protagonists, the overall plot is not the most original thing (and feels kinda Xeno-whatever-ish) but it does twist the occasional cliche, and the gameplay is like the freshest thing to happen to JRPGs at least since Radiant Historia, if not in over a decade (the game is well engineered to keep you at the appropriate level without going out of your way to grind, some NPCs have Deadly Premonition levels of names, personalities, and schedules and you can play relationship builder/breaker between them, half of the usual inventory management bullshit is put away in favor of building and managing a battle gauge used for starting chain attacks, issuing commands, or reviving fallen allies, battle menus and MP have been done away with leaving characters with abilities called Arts which basically function like MMO commands, every character has their own role and niche in battle and function fairly differently from each other, in battle you have what the game calls a tension gauge where the tide of battle determines how well you fight abstractly displayed by the character's portraits, and battles have the occasional prompt to press a button which can either confer a minor or a larger boost to your tension gauge as well as additional effects based on skills depending on how accurate your timing is).

Alternatively, you don't need to pay $90 for it right now.

Anyway, should go play more Ys 2 and figure out how to do Ys-style combat in RPGMVXA just for the sake of being a dick.

Wouldn't that largely consist of

if (button(pressWhatever) until impactSideA)
{
Maths A occur here;
}
ifElse (impactSideB, impactSideC, impactSideD)
{
Maths B occur here;
}
ifElse (impactRanged)
{
Maths C occur here;
}
else
{
make tink sounds;
}

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5731 on: August 17, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »

75 is more in my price range. Oh well, better start stocking up on the other four or so Wii games I found mildly interesting for whenever the Wii U drops to a foxier price range or Dolphin's sound quits being flaky. Guess I have an excuse to get those Everblue sequels I sort of wanted since the Aquanaut's Holiday sequels were kind of bullshit. Wait I think I need an HD TV for a Weeoo don't I.

Pandora's Tower any good? That's pretty cheap.

Anyway.

Rogue Galaxy - Got up to the second save point in the factory, at which point I had to go sleep off a migraine. Why didn't I realize you could block in this game? Why do I still fail to block? Maybe playing actiony games when you have a migraine is a bad idea, idk. I should read-up on how the weapon elemental affinities work in this game. It looks like it might be closer to what Vagrant Story has than I initially thought, since I have a few different weapons of the same type and level, but with different affinities. Or they're different levels and I'm reading that wrong.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:32:36 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5732 on: August 17, 2013, 10:45:54 PM »

I ended up buying it twice, because I was never sure whether NA was going to get it.

Not sorry I double dipped to support this at all.

I would say if you can get it for 75, then grab it, because it's probably the cheapest you're going to find it.

I'm really enjoying Soul Hackers. I kind of get how people could call it dated in certain places, but it really seems like they've done a lot to modernise it.

Little touches like automatically moving you down the stairs instead of making you walk, as well as the voice acting.

I can't see how someone could complain about this being dated and then rave about a Tales game, or even something like Persona for that matter.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5733 on: August 18, 2013, 01:00:46 AM »

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Did a mission where I barely made it out alive. Lost 4 of my 6 dudes. Of course I'm glad to have made it out at all, given that I went up against 3 Mutons and 3 Sectoid Commanders with a team of mostly Squaddies. Seriously, I made it out by pure luck: I was down to the last Muton, who had like full health, and my last dude, who was Assault had 2 health. My other dude was in critical condition, so she couldn't do shit. I used run and gun to gamble and try to see if I could get a critical and take him down in one shotgun blast. It did crit, but unfortunately it only did 6 damage. By the grace of some cosmic, mad deity, the enemy didn't retaliate on their turn; rather, I think the enemy had to reload of all things. I managed to kill him on the next turn. But god, finishing that mission was exhilarating.

Got 4 Satellites up and finally got some Plasma Weapon research down. I've been toting around the same old weapons from the start, since I heard it's best to just skip the laser weapons and focus straight on plasma. I am not disappointed, although it seems like they have a smaller ammo capacity at the moment. Can't wait to upgrade everyone's weapons with Plasma equivalents. Researching Titan Armor now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:09:26 AM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5734 on: August 18, 2013, 05:12:10 AM »

Kinda been waffling between games, but Papers Please is my game of the year.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5735 on: August 18, 2013, 09:43:26 PM »

Ys 2 - Beat the boss in the ice level. Now I am in the MOATS OF BURNEDBLESS which is the Dwarf Fortressiest name I've ever seen in a thing. I like how most of the monsters have unique dialogue. I like how you can give regular NPCs gifts. I like how regular NPCs change what they say over the course of the game. I like how regular NPCs reacted to seeing you in monster-form, or to getting shot by fireballs.

This really isn't an extraordinary level of detail by any means, but it goes a long way towards adding a level of believability to the setting, and ffs it's leagues better than what I've seen in a lot of other games.

I want to compare that to the relative robustness of Amalur's NPC's idle actions -- it reminds me of what the Gothic developers said, about letting the player do anything the NPCs can do. This is a good approach and I like it but I think the opposite needs to be true as well -- anything the PLAYER can do, the NPCs can do. Even if they're not REALLY doing anything behind the scenes -- even if it's just an animation -- it helps. I don't know if KoA even has proper NPC schedules. I don't notice because they /do things/.

The approaches in Amalur and Ys are /very/ different, but they both work to convey a dynamic world. I want more of that, especially given the recent trend towards open world games, where you can't rely on the narrative itself to create a sense of change and things happening outside of the player.

Anyway list of Wii games I think look interesting/got decentish scores since I'm sort of committed to this now. Fuck my life, the ride never ends. Someone please recommend/un-recommend stuff from this I guess.

pandora's tower
Mario Galaxy 1/2
No More heroes 1/2
Little Kings story
FF Crystal Bearers
Arc Rise Fantasia

-- edit --

Finished the Crisis of Faith quest in Amalur. I think another area in which I might compare this to Ys is when Amalur says it's an action RPG, it's a goddamn ACTION RPG.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:38:27 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5736 on: August 19, 2013, 04:15:24 AM »

Anyway list of Wii games I think look interesting/got decentish scores since I'm sort of committed to this now. Fuck my life, the ride never ends. Someone please recommend/un-recommend stuff from this I guess.

pandora's tower
Mario Galaxy 1/2
No More heroes 1/2
Little Kings story
FF Crystal Bearers
Arc Rise Fantasia

Of these, Mario Galaxies are definites and LKS is supposed to be a sleeper hit. The Crystal Bearer games outside of Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube were all mediocre to dumb and probably not worth your time. Arc Rise is like the only proper turn based JRPG on the system but it was made by Image Epoch (although it is supposedly one of their better games), so mileage will definitely vary. No More Heroes 1 and 2 are very Suda51 games and thus focus on being stylish over everything else, NMH1 is notable for having a massive and massively barren city to drive around in, while all I know about NMH2 is that its a better game. And Pandora's Tower is pretty much the red-headed stepchild of the Operation Rainfall titles, if missing Xenoblade would've been a travesty and missing The Last Story would've been disappointing, then missing Pandora's Tower would've been no big deal, its only an ARPG dungeon crawler and kind of a gimmicky one at that, frankly the only reason why it got the momentum that it did was because it was also made by Mistwalker along with the other Rainfall titles.

As for recommendations, first would be the Zelda games because come on, you're getting a Nintendo system, might as well get the games. That said, I can't really recommend them as Twilight Princess started off trying not to be an OoT clone only to shift gears halfway and become an OoT clone and Skyward Sword has a combat system that's incredibly hit or miss (as in some people love it and some people absolutely hate it) but the rest of the game is a pile of broken or half-kept promises (outside of the upgrade mechanic). There's also Sin and Punishment 2 which was at the time considered to be the best rail shooter ever made, but that title has probably found some other home and there's the matter of tastes (plus Treasure games aren't quite as good as everyone says they are). I'd personally recommend Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn but that's because its the only non VC SRPG on the system and it has a bunch of issues tied to it like needing to have played FE9 to get the most out of the game, and the game has serious availability issues in regards to who you can use and when. Then there's Opoona which is the only other turn based JRPG on the system (again not counting the VC) and I've not heard anything one way or another on the matter. There's also Super Smash Bros. Brawl which is what it is. I think Sakura Wars V made it onto the Wii as well (which means that this is the only other SRPG on the system kinda) but is incredibly dated. There's also the Kirby Collection which should still be findable and contains some really good classics that are really hard to find elsewhere outside of emulation (and unlike the Mario anniversary collection, this one was actually good). There's also the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which despite the inflated pricetag, is probably worth it as it contains one excellent game, and two okay games.

And then there's an assload of Virtual Console or VC titles to pick from as well, although most are overpriced and have no discounts or sales to mitigate said price, but some are still cheaper than trying to track down physical copies, especially in this retro gaming bubble.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5737 on: August 19, 2013, 05:49:50 AM »

And Pandora's Tower is pretty much the red-headed stepchild of the Operation Rainfall titles, if missing Xenoblade would've been a travesty and missing The Last Story would've been disappointing, then missing Pandora's Tower would've been no big deal, its only an ARPG dungeon crawler and kind of a gimmicky one at that, frankly the only reason why it got the momentum that it did was because it was also made by Mistwalker along with the other Rainfall titles.

It wasn't even made by Mistwalker. It's from a small studio called Ganbarion and it's pretty much their first original games. Half of their catalogue consists of mediocre One Piece games. No really. They're one of those developers.

Anyway, Pandora's Tower got some attention because it was one of the few (and last!) RPG's for the Wii. Fans started demanding it and Nintendo of Europe scored some brownie points by actually pubishing it. The premise is kind of cool, but don't go in expecting a triple A masterpiece. It's a decent and kinda interesting game made by a small developer. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for recommendations, there's a game called My Life as a Dark Lord in the Wii Store. It's a fun tower defense game from Square Enix from an era in which they weren't flimflamming their way through the downloadable games market.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5738 on: August 19, 2013, 09:08:57 AM »

I beat Arkham City. Kind of underwhelming relative to how much ass Asylum kicked.

On to Dragon's Crown next.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5739 on: August 19, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »

pandora's tower
Mario Galaxy 1/2
No More heroes 1/2
Little Kings story
FF Crystal Bearers
Arc Rise Fantasia

Of these, Mario Galaxies are definites and LKS is supposed to be a sleeper hit. The Crystal Bearer games outside of Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube were all mediocre to dumb and probably not worth your time. Arc Rise is like the only proper turn based JRPG on the system but it was made by Image Epoch (although it is supposedly one of their better games), so mileage will definitely vary. No More Heroes 1 and 2 are very Suda51 games and thus focus on being stylish over everything else, NMH1 is notable for having a massive and massively barren city to drive around in, while all I know about NMH2 is that its a better game. And Pandora's Tower is pretty much the red-headed stepchild of the Operation Rainfall titles, if missing Xenoblade would've been a travesty and missing The Last Story would've been disappointing, then missing Pandora's Tower would've been no big deal, its only an ARPG dungeon crawler and kind of a gimmicky one at that, frankly the only reason why it got the momentum that it did was because it was also made by Mistwalker along with the other Rainfall titles.

As for recommendations, first would be the Zelda games because come on, you're getting a Nintendo system, might as well get the games. That said, I can't really recommend them as Twilight Princess started off trying not to be an OoT clone only to shift gears halfway and become an OoT clone and Skyward Sword has a combat system that's incredibly hit or miss (as in some people love it and some people absolutely hate it) but the rest of the game is a pile of broken or half-kept promises (outside of the upgrade mechanic). There's also Sin and Punishment 2 which was at the time considered to be the best rail shooter ever made, but that title has probably found some other home and there's the matter of tastes (plus Treasure games aren't quite as good as everyone says they are). I'd personally recommend Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn but that's because its the only non VC SRPG on the system and it has a bunch of issues tied to it like needing to have played FE9 to get the most out of the game, and the game has serious availability issues in regards to who you can use and when. Then there's Opoona which is the only other turn based JRPG on the system (again not counting the VC) and I've not heard anything one way or another on the matter. There's also Super Smash Bros. Brawl which is what it is. I think Sakura Wars V made it onto the Wii as well (which means that this is the only other SRPG on the system kinda) but is incredibly dated. There's also the Kirby Collection which should still be findable and contains some really good classics that are really hard to find elsewhere outside of emulation (and unlike the Mario anniversary collection, this one was actually good). There's also the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which despite the inflated pricetag, is probably worth it as it contains one excellent game, and two okay games.

And then there's an assload of Virtual Console or VC titles to pick from as well, although most are overpriced and have no discounts or sales to mitigate said price, but some are still cheaper than trying to track down physical copies, especially in this retro gaming bubble.

Crystal Bearers was interesting in premise but really average in execution.  It's cheap as hell and you have little to lose.  It's an interesting 'experiment', and that's probably what I'd call it.  I love the main theme like crazy and the hero is pretty atypical.

Opoona I've heard shit about; but the OST is really, really amazing.  Most Wii stuff is cheap, so I'd gor for it may for that?

I'd go as far to say that Pandora's Tower took more gameplay initiatives than this summer's biggest blockbuster: The Last of Us.  But it kinda screwed up in the meanwhile.  It's basically an action-Zelda title with a hookshot and dating sim.  I think the world of XSeed, but some of their choices make me worried for the future.  Not that this was thatbad (I'm generalizing here), but it's average with some questionable design decisions.

I agree that the Mario Wii games are a surefire hit; the Zelda has a bit better mileage -- but depends.  People seem to love one title and hate the other between the two games that came out for it.  Like Aeo pointed out, I personally loved the hell out of Twilight Princess and really disliked Skyward Sword by the end (again, for many dubious design choices).

Am I the only one who finds Kirby about 100x more interesting than Mario?  Mario bops enemies on the head and fuses in whatever gimmick to change up the experience.  Kirby at least gives you gameplay options as far as how you can attack.  Anyways; Return to Dreamland and the Kirby Collection (at least half of it) were a great experience and I loved both.

Last Story is really different, but the niche it hits is perfect.  Xenoblade has been talked about enough: Worth it provided you're willing to shell out the money and time.

I've heard nasty things as far as FE on the Wii.  Mostly insofar that it's difficulty can be pretty maddening; a bad enough set up can mean the difference between a hard battle and being stuck on the game completely.  That's what I've heard anyways.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5740 on: August 19, 2013, 03:07:47 PM »

^ Gotta start slowing down there. That's the third post of yours I've read today that's missing a word every other sentence.

As for Wii recommendations, I'm currently having a lot more fun with Kirby's Epic Yarn than I thought I would. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought Trauma Team was flippin' brilliant, especially the Forensics and Diagnosis missions. And Super Paper Mario is still #2 on my list of favorite games.

Played through a huge chunk of Sly 3 last night and now I'm 66% complete. It doesn't hurt that I'm on the pirate level complete with naval combat.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5741 on: August 19, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »

^ Gotta start slowing down there. That's the third post of yours I've read today that's missing a word every other sentence.

Slow down, ain't nobody gor time for that. ;)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5742 on: August 19, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »

Slow down, ain't nobody gor time for that. ;)

Sorry I wrote that really quickly because I was really bored with my readings (and had to get back to them)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5743 on: August 19, 2013, 07:13:03 PM »

Chapter 15 of Resonance of Fate.

My handguns and machine-guns look absolutely stupid, but their Charge and Acceleration are amazing....

I think they would get more damage out of them by just using them as blunt weapons.

Also, I have about 7,000,000 Rubies. I keep maxing out on Silver chips, cause I make those suckers fly in the sky.

I wish there was an option to Make it Rain off the roof of houses.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5744 on: August 19, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »

I like TP but I already have it on the GC, and Skyward Sword doesn't look at all interesting to me (the dungeons I saw videos of looked very... big empty room with a bunch of disconnected puzzles just kind of sitting there?). Never played ST5, but I... have it on the PS2.

Everything I've heard about The Last Story from people I've talked is pretty mixed but it... appears to have gotten good reviews? Dice? Aeo? I can't form my own opinion on anything because I am a wage slave and IBM at my soul????????

(Definitely getting Shark Petting Sim 1 and 2 though).

--- edit ---

Ys 2 - Up to the Lava Colony. THIS MUSIC IS DELICIOUS. Also cleared out Gila's basement which I had, for some reason, not done sooner.

Toki Tori 2 - Sort of stuck in the direction I was going so I just called a transport bird and started exploring some of the level branches I'd missed previously.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:32:51 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: