Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 11:58:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329396 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 397871 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5775 on: August 26, 2013, 12:43:26 AM »

Spent like four hours play Xenoblade. Up through the thing that happens in the place. I need to get food.

Most expensive single game I ever bought. NO REGRETS.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. :D

I'm at
Code:
Alcom for the second time
in Soul Hackers. I'm actually wondering if I'll finish it before I go back overseas.

Anyone know if there's any new game + material for it?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5776 on: August 26, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »

Chapter 3 of Dark Cloud 2.

Completed the Sidain's analysis and received the Jurak Gun.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5777 on: August 26, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »

Is it me, or is Amalur a little too easy on normal difficulty? It's my first play-through, and I feel like I'm sailing through it. Did a lot of you play it on hard?

I made good progress over the weekend. From level 7 to 12. My character is all Might, with a preference for hammers, and he seems overpowered. I've been smashing the absolute crap out of some enemies and bosses that have some intimidating reputations. After what is supposed to be a big fight, I think to myself: That's what the big deal was about? This is with equipment that I have simply found in my travels, not even the stuff I've been smithing. I think I've only died once or twice since I've started, and that was just due to careless maneuvering. I'm thinking of ramping up the difficulty, but I haven't actually tried it yet. I'm not looking for Dark Souls-type frustration, but it just feels like it's too easy...

Absolutely loving it, regardless. Lots of fun. I've only maybe explored about a 1/5 or 1/4 of the overall map.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5778 on: August 26, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »

Finished The Last of Us. Amazing game with an amazing story and characters. Although, I wasn't too thrilled with the ending.
Code:
The blatant lie from Joel is understandable, but just didn't work for me. Plus, we're left wondering what comes next. No closure at all

I ordered Asuras Wrath, so I'll play that next. Hope it's fun. I need something lighter after the above.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5779 on: August 26, 2013, 12:35:31 PM »

I never beat Amalur, got through maybe 1/2 to 2/3rds of it. Even on the highest difficulty, it was too easy if you made use of crafting and smart gameplay.

If you bothered to do every quest available to you, you'd be more than enough leveled for anything thrown at you.
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5780 on: August 26, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »

If you bothered to do every quest available to you, you'd be more than enough leveled for anything thrown at you.

This is the gist of what I've gathered from a few quick visits to other forums in regards to this matter.

That is exactly what I have been doing: Looking for quests everywhere, and possibly overstaying my welcome in certain areas. I almost feel like I'm playing on "god mode" now, seriously. Enemies like threshes and mountain trolls are way too quick to fall under my character's basic attacks, even with weaker equipment.

I think I may restart a new character (with less physical prowess), and be more selective about quests. Also, won't be afraid to more widely traverse the map earlier on.

It's a shame it's so easy to over-level, but I guess they wanted to cater to a much wider audience...
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5781 on: August 26, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »

This is the gist of what I've gathered from a few quick visits to other forums in regards to this matter.

That is exactly what I have been doing: Looking for quests everywhere, and possibly overstaying my welcome in certain areas. I almost feel like I'm playing on "god mode" now, seriously. Enemies like threshes and mountain trolls are way too quick to fall under my character's basic attacks, even with weaker equipment.

I think I may restart a new character (with less physical prowess), and be more selective about quests. Also, won't be afraid to more widely traverse the map earlier on.

It's a shame it's so easy to over-level, but I guess they wanted to cater to a much wider audience...

The level gap narrows towards the end.  If you stop trying to over level, depending on where you are, the mobs will catch up.  I'd just keep on trucking or put in weaker party members/use weaker equipment.

Yeah, the whole going around and talking to people with different schedules isn't a bad one in of itself, but the execution in this game is a little lacking (the minimap can kinda show where a named NPC is but the indicator is a tiny black dot and not very visible at all).

The time part isn't too bad as the game, iirc, tells you their schedule.  Finding them can be a pain in the ass though...

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5782 on: August 26, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »

King of Fighters 94 and Cave Story on hard mode (first time). Yes, rage runs deep in me. :P
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5783 on: August 26, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »

Rayman Legends Demo:

Is great, fun fot the whole family or alone. This along with Puppeteer are the only two games that I intend to buy that are not afraid to be games instead "art" or a "interactive narrative experiences". Sure those are great when they can do it decently but goddamn, sometimes I just want to feel good and enjoy the experience for the sake of it.

Later I should be busy fucking around The King of Fighters XIII, putting more hours into Tekken Tag 2 and buy rain once that's released on PSN. After that the last two games I'm gonna get for PS3 are Lightning Returns and Dark Souls II (which I plan to play the shit out of them) and with that this gen should be over for me, but I'm sure there's gonna be something that gets my attention later. Who knows.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5784 on: August 26, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »

Is great, fun fot the whole family or alone. This along with Puppeteer are the only two games that I intend to buy that are not afraid to be games instead "art" or a "interactive narrative experiences". Sure those are great when they can do it decently but goddamn, sometimes I just want to feel good and enjoy the experience for the sake of it.

The thing with Rayman Origins is how effortlessly it pulled off being art by /not even trying to be art/.

snip

The time part isn't too bad as the game, iirc, tells you their schedule.  Finding them can be a pain in the ass though...

Daschrier and Natros were talking Amalur, not Xenoblade :vvvvVVVvvVVvv

wrt Amalur though, yeah, it's easy as hell, but it's fast and almost /arcadey/. It's not so much about being deep and strategic as it is about being a human cheese grater, and it's gives you a nice little toychest of ways to do that. The main fun for me in that game is exploring and questing though. It's an open world RPG, yeah, but for some reason everything feels like it's structure like a 32-bit era explorationy platformer ala Rayman 2 or Mario Broys.

Oh, something stupid I noticed with the VC -- you can apparently only add points in increments of 1000, which would be fine, but only NES and N64 game prices evenly divide into that. And I'm mostly interested in the TG16 stuff, which is all 600/800/900. So it's like, 30 bucks gets you five games at 600 each, and 40 gets you five at 800, but if you just add 1000 points and get something for 800, you're left with 200, which gets you nothing.MATH IS HARD

--- edit ---

Xenoblade - Up to Bionis' leg. Normally I don't like mad lib-style collect the x quests, but I think they work here because they're less a thing in and of themselves, and more of a thing to get you to explore some, since usually the target is... either some you get by just wandering around, or just a LITTLE bit out of the way, so that you need to go off the beaten path in the level and then oh hey look something cool I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Also the British VAs really make me get these Harry, Ron, and Hermione vibes from Shulk, Reyn, and Fiora. I mean, there's other parallels too --

Code:
Harry and Shulk are both the "chosen one" and the sole survivor of some incident, Reyn and Ron are gingers with similar sounding names, Fiora and Hermione both get eaten by robots.

This is p. much the most I've been compelled to binge on a game since like, Nocture.

--- edit ---

And I initially, instead of putting the spoiler in code tags, put it in an opening quote tag that closed with a bold tag.

I am fucking stupid.

--- edit ---

Majora's Mask seems really interesting but a lot more involved than I have the time for now.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:27:20 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5785 on: August 27, 2013, 09:03:16 AM »

Xenoblade - Up to Bionis' leg. Normally I don't like mad lib-style collect the x quests, but I think they work here because they're less a thing in and of themselves, and more of a thing to get you to explore some, since usually the target is... either some you get by just wandering around, or just a LITTLE bit out of the way, so that you need to go off the beaten path in the level and then oh hey look something cool I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

What's really cool about the find and/or exterminate X quests is that you usually get them early in an area and that they serve as a good motivator to learn about some of the local fauna plus they're a reason to fight and gain experience and loot to help keep up with the level curve when moving through the game also that they get you to uncover locations and landmarks you might not otherwise be tempted to locate (and those are really fricken important as they give out a ton of EXP, AP, and SP comparative to other options available at the time shorting of grinding).

Anyways, I've played through the main "campaign" of Mighty Switch Force. Now to play through the bonus missions (and maybe work on getting par times).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5786 on: August 27, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »

wrt Amalur though, yeah, it's easy as hell, but it's fast and almost /arcadey/. It's not so much about being deep and strategic as it is about being a human cheese grater, and it's gives you a nice little toychest of ways to do that. The main fun for me in that game is exploring and questing though. It's an open world RPG, yeah, but for some reason everything feels like it's structure like a 32-bit era explorationy platformer ala Rayman 2 or Mario Broys.

A very reasonable way of looking at it... I guess I've been expecting it to feel more complex than it is. At least the environments are really well done, and keep exploration interesting. All I can really do in the end is roll with the punches, anyway.

Last night, I ramped it up to Hard difficulty. Certainly gives the enemies a bit more of an edge, but obviously not enough where it becomes a real challenge. I'm gonna see it through with this character. I don't like the idea of gimping him to create more of a challenge, so instead, I think I will increase the main plot advancement a bit. Leaves some questing for another play-through with a different type of character anyway.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5787 on: August 27, 2013, 07:06:11 PM »

Amalur has complexity but I think it's less in the combat itself and more in terms of just letting you do stuff. It's very similar to Ultima in that sense.

Or maybe just make a strict thief or wizard character maybe. I know you can get your skills and fates reset. Can you get ability trees reset too?

I usually go the diplo route when I can :S

-- edit --

Majora's Mask - Got a piece of heart. Don't think I can progress in the swamp until I know how to use beans.

What's really cool about the find and/or exterminate X quests is that you usually get them early in an area and that they serve as a good motivator to learn about some of the local fauna

On the downside, half of the quests so far half just been MURDER SOME HORSES, and the horses all have children and it's just, augh.

--- edit 2 ---

Xeblebebl - Killed some horses. Got killed by a huge elephant dude. Managed to accidentally jump off of Bionis.

Code:
Current assumption is the Mukhtar isn't dead, and may or may not be some other dude with claws.

Draculax: Rohondra of Blood - I wouldn't mind this not being translated if the cutscenes were skippable.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:44:35 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5788 on: August 28, 2013, 02:54:43 AM »

What's really cool about the find and/or exterminate X quests is that you usually get them early in an area and that they serve as a good motivator to learn about some of the local fauna plus they're a reason to fight and gain experience and loot to help keep up with the level curve when moving through the game also that they get you to uncover locations and landmarks you might not otherwise be tempted to locate (and those are really fricken important as they give out a ton of EXP, AP, and SP comparative to other options available at the time shorting of grinding).

That was something I thought the game did really, really well. They actually gave you a reason to grind, and you had to level up anyway so might as well do the quests.

I did the
Code:
Red and Blue door thingie in the Algon Main Factory today
in Soul Hackers.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5789 on: August 28, 2013, 04:51:03 AM »

Amalur has complexity but I think it's less in the combat itself and more in terms of just letting you do stuff. It's very similar to Ultima in that sense.

Or maybe just make a strict thief or wizard character maybe. I know you can get your skills and fates reset. Can you get ability trees reset too?

I usually go the diplo route when I can :S

-- edit --

Majora's Mask - Got a piece of heart. Don't think I can progress in the swamp until I know how to use beans.

What's really cool about the find and/or exterminate X quests is that you usually get them early in an area and that they serve as a good motivator to learn about some of the local fauna

On the downside, half of the quests so far half just been MURDER SOME HORSES, and the horses all have children and it's just, augh.

--- edit 2 ---

Xeblebebl - Killed some horses. Got killed by a huge elephant dude. Managed to accidentally jump off of Bionis.

Code:
Current assumption is the Mukhtar isn't dead, and may or may not be some other dude with claws.

Draculax: Rohondra of Blood - I wouldn't mind this not being translated if the cutscenes were skippable.

To use Beans, you need Beans, Patch of Soil, Water in that general order. Since the N64 couldn't really handle rendering a mound of dirt, you have to look for a tile of light brown with a dark spot surrounded by a square. They should be fairly conspicuous. The Beans unfortunately, are on the other side of the courtyard.

Also, I still can't get over the fact that Maria has huge tits for her age/size and the game is set before the advent of bras. Goddammit Japan! Also also, its really weird seeing how generic Rondo of Blood's Dracula looks, especially compared to his Symphony of the Night appearance.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: