Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 03:38:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337846 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 440611 times)
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5790 on: August 28, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »

Amalur has complexity but I think it's less in the combat itself and more in terms of just letting you do stuff. It's very similar to Ultima in that sense.

Or maybe just make a strict thief or wizard character maybe. I know you can get your skills and fates reset. Can you get ability trees reset too?

IIRC, fateweavers can reset both skills and abilities. I think I want to keep this dude as he is, though. It's admittedly kind of fun once in a while to just be able to run into enemies head on, and SMASH their asses.

I will admit though that last night I started a new game on hard difficulty with a purely magic oriented character. (Keeping my melee character on the back burner for now). It's already fun and presents a nice new set of challenges, although when you get enough abilities that help with Mana cost, it's pretty easy to launch powerful magic at faraway enemies. I know that's countered later on with anti-magic enemies, so we'll see how it goes. Chakrams look pretty bad ass, and I'm looking forward to trying them out, although I haven't found any for this character yet...
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5791 on: August 28, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »

Is great, fun fot the whole family or alone. This along with Puppeteer are the only two games that I intend to buy that are not afraid to be games instead "art" or a "interactive narrative experiences". Sure those are great when they can do it decently but goddamn, sometimes I just want to feel good and enjoy the experience for the sake of it.

The thing with Rayman Origins is how effortlessly it pulled off being art by /not even trying to be art/.

snip

The time part isn't too bad as the game, iirc, tells you their schedule.  Finding them can be a pain in the ass though...

Daschrier and Natros were talking Amalur, not Xenoblade :vvvvVVVvvVVvv

Wait you mean there aren't mountain trolls in xenovlade??  Dunno why I thought they were talking about Xenoblade.

My damn wrist hurts.  Rested it all day Monday and most of today by typing and mouse using all left handed... tired of resting it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5792 on: August 28, 2013, 07:34:21 PM »

Damn PS3 controller died and I have been too busy to go get a new one, so I started playing Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny, @ 4 hours in and having a good old time.

Everything's Eventual
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5793 on: August 28, 2013, 07:59:43 PM »

I think the one really disappointing aspect of Xenoblade, compared to Xenogears, is that you can no longer jump on people's heads and ride them around.

Since the N64 couldn't really handle rendering a mound of dirt

No, I mean, I know how to use beans, but I can't buy them in the game yet 'cause the sproutling bein' all Y'ALL AIN'T KNOW HOW TO USE THESE BEANS, I CAN'T TRUST YA WIT DEEZ.

Also, I still can't get over the fact that Maria has huge tits for her age/size and the game is set before the advent of bras.

Neither can Billy Rondo, here.

--- edit ---

Morjask - Found out that the bean seller is in the Inner Garden. One of the monkeys tells you that. Platforming in that bit is bleugh. Also I didn't really get that /loud instrument/ meant Link's built-in Deku pipes although Ithink I've largely forgotten the intro at this point so.

Anyway, got the Song of Tree Awake and Song of Flap.

Dracondrood - Up to level three on the normal path. Level 3 was surprisingly really easy.

Xenoblade - Advanced the plot in some really minor sense. Took out two unique monsters for quests. Finished some other quests. Explored.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:07:52 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5794 on: August 28, 2013, 11:42:23 PM »

Asura's Wrath is bizarre as hell, and yet oddly engaging. I've only played/watched 3 "episodes" so far, but I'm enjoying it.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5795 on: August 29, 2013, 12:43:55 AM »

Damn PS3 controller died and I have been too busy to go get a new one, so I started playing Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny, @ 4 hours in and having a good old time.

Can you not still use it with a USB cable or is it toast?

I beat
Code:
Malmus at Algon Headquarters and now I'm off to rescue my friends in Algon Tower
in Soul Hackers.

I know one person on the podcast played it, but are we the only two?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5796 on: August 29, 2013, 02:04:40 AM »

GOLD 5 BABY

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5797 on: August 29, 2013, 08:13:29 AM »

Can you not still use it with a USB cable or is it toast?

toast

Everything's Eventual
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: August 29, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »

Saints IV: romances = best. Still wanna romance Keith David though.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5799 on: August 29, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »

I played a little bit of Saints Row 3 last night. The opening section
Code:
on the airplane and where you're skydiving
was really fun.

It's very, very cartoony compared to GTA IV.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5800 on: August 29, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »

It's very, very cartoony compared to GTA IV.

It's also better in just about every way.
I was having much more fun within the first few missions of SR3 than I ever did in GTA IV.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5801 on: August 29, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »

GOLD 5 BABY

congrats.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5802 on: August 29, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »

Hoooooly crap is hard mode in Project Diva F insane. I don't even want to know what Extreme mode is like. I've clearly got no chance of ever unlocking everything in the game. But I'm still having a blast, and I suppose that's really all that matters.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5803 on: August 29, 2013, 09:08:06 PM »

I want to buy Diva F because it's just a crazy weird Japanese game I never thought would come to NA... but is it fun?
I don't even know what the actual game is about.
Is it just a rhythm/music press button at the right time game? (like Stepmania or Osu)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5804 on: August 29, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »

Pretty much. There's a bunch of fun distractions when you get bored of the Rhythm part, like decorating the various Vocaloids' rooms and playing short little mini-games with them, as well as an edit mode for customizing music videos and challenges, but the meat of the game is the prompt-based rhythm game.
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: