Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 07:29:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329479 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 398321 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5805 on: August 29, 2013, 09:22:30 PM »

GOLD 5 BABY

I thought I had you in my list but apparently not. Sent you an invite.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5806 on: August 30, 2013, 02:32:16 AM »

Xenoblade - Decided to progress the plot a bit. I've spent 11 hours on the game so far and I'm still in Bionis' leg. Is that normal? And I have a ton of sidequests that are still open.

Honestly I just like running around in the game. It's the same kind of feel I got from SotC or... well, Aquanaut's Holiday.

Marjora's Mask - Tried to do Woodfall Temple but I ran out of time. I think I like this but the time limit really does lead to a lot of repetition I'd rather not deal with, and it does kind of kill my will to explore, too. And the controls are somehow even wonkier than OoT's. Like, I got stuck on some non-puzzle because I failed to jump across some gap and I figured I just couldn't, but it turns out I COULD, and link just didn't wall grab for whatever reason. And the Deku Flying stuff is a little awkward.

I'm not really fond of the area design so far, either. Everything seems really bizarre and small -- and maybe this improves later. I'm in the first dungeon, after all -- and sort of arbitrarily constructed*.

IDK, I consistently see MM listed as people's favorite 3D Zelda, but I'm not really feeling it.

Code:
The stealth bit in the Inner Garden was like, a bunch of random technicolor walls that you could use as cover, but... what was I even supposed to be looking at there? And then the Outer Garden was just this tiny jutting piece of land off the side of one wall?

Also, the room in Woodfall where you have to light some torches to eventually burn through the spiderwebs -- why is there a push block in that room? It serves no purpose. It's just THERE.

Does the little lost woods bit where you rescue that one witch serve any other purpose than to have monkeys lead you though it? I think there's a hole you can dive down there for something, but... seriously, you just follow the monkey through it. Why is that even there?

Why is Romani ranch so massive and empty?

Something I really liked about OOT, WW, and TP was the strong sense of place their areas conveyed, and I'm just not getting that here.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5807 on: August 30, 2013, 10:12:41 AM »

Xenoblade - Decided to progress the plot a bit. I've spent 11 hours on the game so far and I'm still in Bionis' leg. Is that normal? And I have a ton of sidequests that are still open.

Honestly I just like running around in the game. It's the same kind of feel I got from SotC or... well, Aquanaut's Holiday.

Marjora's Mask - Tried to do Woodfall Temple but I ran out of time. I think I like this but the time limit really does lead to a lot of repetition I'd rather not deal with, and it does kind of kill my will to explore, too. And the controls are somehow even wonkier than OoT's. Like, I got stuck on some non-puzzle because I failed to jump across some gap and I figured I just couldn't, but it turns out I COULD, and link just didn't wall grab for whatever reason. And the Deku Flying stuff is a little awkward.

I'm not really fond of the area design so far, either. Everything seems really bizarre and small -- and maybe this improves later. I'm in the first dungeon, after all -- and sort of arbitrarily constructed*.

IDK, I consistently see MM listed as people's favorite 3D Zelda, but I'm not really feeling it.

Code:
The stealth bit in the Inner Garden was like, a bunch of random technicolor walls that you could use as cover, but... what was I even supposed to be looking at there? And then the Outer Garden was just this tiny jutting piece of land off the side of one wall?

Also, the room in Woodfall where you have to light some torches to eventually burn through the spiderwebs -- why is there a push block in that room? It serves no purpose. It's just THERE.

Does the little lost woods bit where you rescue that one witch serve any other purpose than to have monkeys lead you though it? I think there's a hole you can dive down there for something, but... seriously, you just follow the monkey through it. Why is that even there?

Why is Romani ranch so massive and empty?

Something I really liked about OOT, WW, and TP was the strong sense of place their areas conveyed, and I'm just not getting that here.

Re: Xenoblade. Totally normal. In fact, I think you got there before I did on my playthrough. Also, those quests that have little clocks next to them are timed (or require you to choose one over another, in which case, there's no inherently right or wrong choice for them), but the time limit for them doesn't come up for another two more regions at least (and then you have to do a side quest to actually make the change that closes those quests down, plus IIRC, there's replacement quests that you can take for those should you have waited too long for them).

Re: Majora's Mask. A good rule of thumb for your first playthrough is to restart the time loop right before entering a dungeon since, outside of the limit, time doesn't play a factor in dungeons and you won't have to worry about losing all your progress to bailing on the cycle. Also, if you don't know about the Inverted Song of Time, either go talk to the Scarecrow in the observatory or just play the Song of Time backwards.

The Inner Garden has two sides to it and IIRC, one might have a Piece of Heart (or if not, then its so that you have someplace to fall down into while doing the platforming bit) while the other of course has the Bean Seller. As for the Lost Woods, there are a couple of things you can do there, but the important one is rescuing the Witch for the first Bottle. As for Romani Ranch's size, you'll find out around the second dungeon.

But yeah, while I like MM a lot, I have to admit that it has its share of problems. Especially the opening sequence where you're at the complete mercy of the clock and some things just aren't that obvious to a first time player.

As for progress, I've gotten two of the four levels I need to complete Chapter 4 in VP2. Not a hell of a lot really.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5808 on: August 30, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »

Virtues Last Reward

Great game. I guessed most things before they happened but in a way that made it better.

Code:
Didn't see them being on the moon though. That came out of nowhere for me. Knox's Ten Commandments clued me in on most of what would happen.

Can't wait for the third entry.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: August 30, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »

Saints 4: Trying to get through as many side missions as possible to unlock all the people/things. Hacked all but one store, did most flashpoints (I hate wardens), and now I can see all collectibles on the map.
Code:
Rescued and recruited Matt Miller too. I was almost disappointed he didn't do naked Raiden cartwheels. I'm on his NyteBlayde mission right now. When the fuck do I get Shaundi and Shaundi?

NANOMACHINES, SON.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5810 on: August 30, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »

playing an unhealthy amount of dota 2 every night and waiting for people to level in dragon's crown. Also, RE revelations is so fun multiplayer.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5811 on: August 30, 2013, 08:08:15 PM »

Re: Majora's Mask. A good rule of thumb for your first playthrough is to restart the time loop right before entering a dungeon since, outside of the limit, time doesn't play a factor in dungeons and you won't have to worry about losing all your progress to bailing on the cycle. Also, if you don't know about the Inverted Song of Time, either go talk to the Scarecrow in the observatory or just play the Song of Time backwards.

The Inner Garden has two sides to it and IIRC, one might have a Piece of Heart (or if not, then its so that you have someplace to fall down into while doing the platforming bit) while the other of course has the Bean Seller. As for the Lost Woods, there are a couple of things you can do there, but the important one is rescuing the Witch for the first Bottle. As for Romani Ranch's size, you'll find out around the second dungeon.

See I was under the impression the scarecrow was going to teach me some OTHER song I had to play backwards.

--- edit ---

Beat the Forest Temple.

Now to find the missing Stray Fairies I had.

--- edit 2 ---

Endless Ocean - Took some guy out on a dive. Went into a cave and spent five minutes vigorously petting a piece of broken glass while he watched, because I forgot how to pick stuff up. He got bored :(
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 03:06:50 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5812 on: August 30, 2013, 09:38:29 PM »

When I am not trying to play FFXIV, I have been playing Tales of Xillia.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5813 on: August 31, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »

Got my first perfect in Project Diva F today. Mind you it was on one of the easy modes, but considering how awful I was at first, I'm still quite proud.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5814 on: August 31, 2013, 07:35:13 PM »

I'm playing Growlanser IV, it seems fairly decent so far but it hasn't hooked me yet. The soundtrack is really underwhelming, there's nothing terrible about it, just 'meh.'

The lack of any way to restore your MP outside towns is annoying. I made my way to the top of a tower, only to find that I had to fight some enemies that were almost immune to normal attacks, and I didn't have enough MP to kill all of them. So I had to traipse back to town, rest and then go all the way back, just to be able to stand a chance.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5815 on: August 31, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »

I'm playing Growlanser IV, it seems fairly decent so far but it hasn't hooked me yet. The soundtrack is really underwhelming, there's nothing terrible about it, just 'meh.'

The lack of any way to restore your MP outside towns is annoying. I made my way to the top of a tower, only to find that I had to fight some enemies that were almost immune to normal attacks, and I didn't have enough MP to kill all of them. So I had to traipse back to town, rest and then go all the way back, just to be able to stand a chance.

I think Growlanser 2 worked the same way -- you had to go to an inn to restore HP, MP, and skill usages -- but the way the game was structured this was never really a problem.

Murskjam - Got all the scattered fairies, got like two heart pieces, got the egoraptor mask

Sh3r3n 3 W3nd3r3r - Did the first two tutorial?ish dungeons. My weasel done git snatched.

--- edit ---

Rohondra - Got to Stage 2'. Boomerang item crashes are sort of overpowered against the serpent boss.

Xenoblade - Up to Colony 6. Went back to Bionis' leg to finish up some other quest. Immediately realized that I can't even explore all of it yet because there are a few monsters around there that I am WAY too low level to get past (although I probably could if I was creative/careful). Although I might be a bit overleveled for where I need to be in the story.

I think I should start playing as Reyn for a bit. He has some interesting looking skills on him.

(Meanwhile Gamestop dropped the price by 10 dollars like a week after I got it, although the coupons available for online purchase is only 5 dollars off instead of 15, so nothing really changed from my perspective).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:04:53 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5816 on: September 01, 2013, 04:54:16 AM »

Xenoblade - Up to Colony 6. Went back to Bionis' leg to finish up some other quest. Immediately realized that I can't even explore all of it yet because there are a few monsters around there that I am WAY too low level to get past (although I probably could if I was creative/careful). Although I might be a bit overleveled for where I need to be in the story.

I think I should start playing as Reyn for a bit. He has some interesting looking skills on him.

(Meanwhile Gamestop dropped the price by 10 dollars like a week after I got it, although the coupons available for online purchase is only 5 dollars off instead of 15, so nothing really changed from my perspective).

One advantage to putting off exploration in some of the higher level areas is that once you're at the appropriate levels you'll have a larger party that would appreciate the gains that uncovering landmarks/locations give rather than just giving your earlier characters a much bigger boost than they need right now. The downside is that any potential landmarks that you could've found might have been located in a much more advantageous position for backtracking for quests.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5817 on: September 01, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »

Got my first perfect in Project Diva F today. Mind you it was on one of the easy modes, but considering how awful I was at first, I'm still quite proud.

Which song? 

At this point, I think the first song I'll complete on all modes is "Weekender Girl" just because I played it a fair bit in the demo. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5818 on: September 01, 2013, 11:56:25 AM »

Melancholic on Easy. I don't know if I'll ever complete any of the songs on even hard mode. I can't possibly imagine Extreme mode, that just seems painful.

EDIT: Also just managed to complete Melancholic on Hard. While suffering from some kind of eye strain no less.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:31:55 PM by Klutz64 » Logged

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5819 on: September 01, 2013, 02:26:41 PM »

Item crashes really trivialize... everything. :|

I'm reminded of my experience with playing SOTN, where you hit a point about 3/4 of the way through the game where nothing presents a real threat to you anymore. And then you unlock the second castle and it's all just going through the motions for another two? hours.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:17:02 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: