Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:47:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337999 Posts in 13837 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 442080 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5865 on: September 05, 2013, 10:06:13 PM »

Dincrest did you ever play this thing: http://landsofdream.net/games/the-sea-will-claim-everything/

Majora's Mask - More stuff in the snow area. I feel like the game's really ratcheted up its aesthetic and thematic... mm, precision here. The swamp felt very underdeveloped to me. This does not.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5866 on: September 05, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »

Man, all this talk about getting perfects on Project Diva makes me want to brag a bit ;)

Obviously that's the Vita import.  I haven't even had time to touch the localized PS3 version yet...

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5867 on: September 05, 2013, 10:11:43 PM »

just borrowed the jojo's bizzare adventures fighting game from my friend, time for some time freeze.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5868 on: September 05, 2013, 10:58:59 PM »

No, I haven't actually.  It looks familiar though, since I'm sure someone (maybe you?) told me about it last year. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5869 on: September 06, 2013, 04:52:03 AM »

Doing lots of Pokemon Black Ver 2 post end game stuff. I don't quite care to collect all the Pokemanz, so a couple goals I've set for myself are to re-beat that boss guy on the frigate ship (his party is Lv 72 and whooped me pretty good my first attempt) and to visit all cities/complete all dungeons. There's quite a bit of content to get through.

Theatrhythm: After playing this game for 20+ hours, I have a newfound appreciation for certain FF songs that I never really noticed before, namely Blue Fields. Love that song!!

Zelda Oracle of Ages: Picking up where I left off in Symmetry City. Just got the Tuni Nut and the new song that lets me transport between both worlds freely.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5870 on: September 06, 2013, 08:06:58 AM »

Is it just me, or are the slower songs often the more challenging ones in music/rhythm games?  Like, I found the ballad in Gitaroo Man challenging.  And in Project Diva: F, I do well with World's End Dance Hall, but I'm always off in Megane (Glasses.) 

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5871 on: September 06, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »

It really depends on the frequency of inputs vs. the tempo of the song. Like I think most people can agree that Ashes to Ashes is the easiest song in the game, but yeah Glasses frustrates me to no end in regards to "I should not be having these problems with this song"

The fast tempo songs are just much easier to commit to muscle memory.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5872 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:16 AM »

Reached character level 11 on Hard in Amalur. Sorcery is hell of a lot of fun. Launching spells and throwing around chakrams feels more natural than any other kind of combat that I've tried in this game. It's especially awesome when mobs try to surround you, and you can cripple (if not kill) several of them at a time. Magic-resistant enemies like trolls can take a little time to put down, but it's easy and fun to continuously barrage them (as long as they don't have a lot of help), so it's not such a big deal.
At first, I didn't like the upgrade from dodging to warping. I quickly missed how easily you could leap around like f-in Peter Pan. Warping seemed slow and clunky. ...Then I realized that it's all about timing. Warping is straight up awesome to me now. Love it!!
I'm focusing on the alchemy and dispelling skills for now. Experimenting with potion reagents is kind of fun, and potions do indeed come in handy with a low hp, low defense character. Of course, those 2 short comings could easily be rectified with a few certain ability upgrades from the might tree, but I don't want to make the game too easy again...   I hate having to gimp, or hold back characters to make games more challenging, but waddayagonnado?
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5873 on: September 06, 2013, 12:03:18 PM »

My favorite character to play in Amalur was my rogue-type character with all points put in archery skills.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5874 on: September 06, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »

For music rhythm games, the harder songs are usually the ones that are off-rhythm for me where it's not hitting a bunch of 1/8 notes since it's easier to feel/hear the beat. Songs that have weird/irregular beats usually are more difficult for me than say a fast-tempo song with 1/8 notes.

But yes slow songs do tend to throw me off at times as well.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5875 on: September 06, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »

Is it just me, or are the slower songs often the more challenging ones in music/rhythm games?  Like, I found the ballad in Gitaroo Man challenging.  And in Project Diva: F, I do well with World's End Dance Hall, but I'm always off in Megane (Glasses.) 

I got this problem in Theatrhythm a lot.  I always imagine how bored drummers get when drumming for a slow song or a ballad.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5876 on: September 06, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »

For music rhythm games, the harder songs are usually the ones that are off-rhythm for me where it's not hitting a bunch of 1/8 notes since it's easier to feel/hear the beat. Songs that have weird/irregular beats usually are more difficult for me than say a fast-tempo song with 1/8 notes.

But yes slow songs do tend to throw me off at times as well.

Lockstep usually threw me of when I first played it in Rhythm Heaven for the DS. I think what through me off was that I couldn't really hear the off-beat/on-beat jingle because at one point they were played right after one another. Now, I can do it with little concentration.

Same deal with  Love Rap 2 from Rhythm Heaven Fever with it's off-beat moments. This stage and See-Saw (~1:17 is where it picks up and gets to be a lot of fun) were instant favorites from this game, while Ringside being my most favorite.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5877 on: September 06, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »

I think I'm at the last boss in Soul Hackers. He has a nasty attack that takes off about 90% of my life with each hit, so I think I'm going to be griding for a bit. :/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5878 on: September 06, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »

Zelda Oracle of Ages: Picking up where I left off in Symmetry City. Just got the Tuni Nut and the new song that lets me transport between both worlds freely.

Actually, you've only got the time travel equivalent of LttP's Magic Mirror (which only allowed you to freely return to, in this case, the present). It's another reason why I prefer Seasons over Ages where the plot item in Seasons is a little more unique compared to Ages Harp (even if the call back is nice).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5879 on: September 06, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »

True with everything said.  It's the off-timey stuff and unpredictable changes that throw me, even when learning to play songs on my bass.  That's probably why Tengaku was the most difficult song for me in the demo.  It's both fast AND has unpredictable changes and off-timey stuff since the melody and harmony lines are more complex than your average pop tune. 

Dice- I would argue "drummer boredom" if it was a punk drummer trying to play a slow song, but jazz drummers play a lot of downtempo stuff and they keep beats interesting.  Even trip-hop bands like Portishead and Massive Attack (whose genre is "downtempo") keep things percussively interesting.  I think that's because they play off-timey beats, different time signatures (i.e. 6/8 vs. 4/4) incorporate tribal rhythms, and perhaps make drums melodic rather than just do hyper blast-beats or straight "kick-snare" stuff. 

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: