Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 01:41:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319060 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 356547 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6060 on: October 07, 2013, 08:51:02 AM »

SMT IV is giving me really mixed feelings.

I just got to Roppongi and I really like the story/mystery the game has set up.

I don't mind the voice acting and I generally like the new soundtrack.

The demon designs are *horrendous*. Like teenager sketchbook anime bad. Medusa was the first one I saw that really stood out as terrible.

The overworld map is just a clusterfuck. It's terribly designed and hard to navigate around. I'm not generally one to complain about RPGs on handhelds, but I think it would've helped navigating if the game were on a TV rather than a handheld device. Sometimes it's just hard to see where I'm supposed to go.

At the very least, they could have marked off places you had already visited, so you knew what they were. I've given up a number of side quests because I just haven't been able to figure out where the hell I'm supposed to go. The worst part is missing out on the easy experience for finishing the missions.

Playing this right after playing Soul Hackers was pretty shocking because it seems like Atlus followed a general design pattern right up to Strange Journey - not copied themselves but had general motifs - that went out the window with this game.

I don't mind all of the changes but the map really makes the game a pain in the ass to play, and I'm not sure I can be bothered to finish it, much less do a second playthrough.

For the time being I've set it aside. I got all of my extra familiars from the Wizard's Edition finally and sat down and started a playthrough of Ni No Kuni.
It's really nice to play a game with a sense of adventure again. In some ways it reminds me of Grandia. Oliver's voice actor is terrible but Drippy's is so great that I can just concentrate on him. The localisation is fan - freaking - tastic for this game.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:53:11 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6061 on: October 07, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »

SMT IV is giving me really mixed feelings.

I just got to Roppongi and I really like the story/mystery the game has set up.

I don't mind the voice acting and I generally like the new soundtrack.

The demon designs are *horrendous*. Like teenager sketchbook anime bad. Medusa was the first one I saw that really stood out as terrible.

The overworld map is just a clusterfuck. It's terribly designed and hard to navigate around. I'm not generally one to complain about RPGs on handhelds, but I think it would've helped navigating if the game were on a TV rather than a handheld device. Sometimes it's just hard to see where I'm supposed to go.

At the very least, they could have marked off places you had already visited, so you knew what they were. I've given up a number of side quests because I just haven't been able to figure out where the hell I'm supposed to go. The worst part is missing out on the easy experience for finishing the missions.

Playing this right after playing Soul Hackers was pretty shocking because it seems like Atlus followed a general design pattern right up to Strange Journey - not copied themselves but had general motifs - that went out the window with this game.

I don't mind all of the changes but the map really makes the game a pain in the ass to play, and I'm not sure I can be bothered to finish it, much less do a second playthrough.

The minimap kinda sorta helps in telling you where you've been versus haven't been to yet, but that only really works on your first visit. There's also certain quests that require you to hang out on a very specific spot on the map until a particular demon shows up or something and your only indication as to whether you're in the right spot or not is the name of the location on top of the minimap.

Honestly, I probably won't give this a second playthrough without abusing the DLC and I don't think its worth paying for said DLC to begin with.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6062 on: October 07, 2013, 05:07:57 PM »

I've given up a number of side quests because I just haven't been able to figure out where the hell I'm supposed to go.

That pissed me off about Strange Journey. Combination of not being able to see NPCs from a distance and vague descriptions.

I never opened my copy of SMTIV. Not sure I really want to, the more I hear about it :T

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6063 on: October 07, 2013, 10:35:28 PM »

I never felt it was as much of a problem with Strange Journey.

At this point, I feel like Strange Journey really is SMT IV and SMT IV is more of a spin-off like DDS, because of the completely different feel.

The minimap kinda sorta helps in telling you where you've been versus haven't been to yet, but that only really works on your first visit. There's also certain quests that require you to hang out on a very specific spot on the map until a particular demon shows up or something and your only indication as to whether you're in the right spot or not is the name of the location on top of the minimap.

I haven't seen any names on the minimap. Am I completely blind?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:41:39 PM by Lard » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6064 on: October 08, 2013, 12:51:58 AM »

At this point, I feel like Strange Journey really is SMT IV and SMT IV is more of a spin-off like DDS, because of the completely different feel.

SJ was regarded by Atlus as SMTIV, until the actual SMTIV came out, wasn't it?

Wevz, got the Raiden pack on gog cause it was on sale. Played a little of each of the games. This seems REALLY nice.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6065 on: October 08, 2013, 01:24:53 AM »

SJ was regarded by Atlus as SMTIV, until the actual SMTIV came out, wasn't it?

I remember that being bandied about, but I don't know if it was official.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6066 on: October 08, 2013, 01:52:03 AM »

I never felt it was as much of a problem with Strange Journey.

I haven't seen any names on the minimap. Am I completely blind?

On the top of the mini map screen (aka the bottom screen), the name of the area you are in is displayed (this is separate from the region you are in (i.e. Ueno, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Roppongi, ect); I don't recall the game displaying a name for that). Of course, the minimap won't display where the areas' boundaries are but they're easy enough to figure out when you see the name change. This also applies to dungeon maps which can help with quests like the one where you need to take a picture of the Bar in Shibuya's Golden Gai's district.

Edit: Meanwhile, I've finally hit chapter 5 in Valkyrie Profile 2. Christ! Does Dylan's departure items have to suck that much? 2 attacks and no added benefits on top of the fact that there's nobody left to use them for all of 200 Attack over Agharim's best departure item. At least Lezard's netted me a Homunculus' Seed (which is pretty damn useful for a straight 20% damage reduction on all elemental attack types). At least it doesn't look like I need to do any more powerleveling for now (and perhaps the rest of the game).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:07:06 AM by Aeolus » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6067 on: October 08, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »

Beyond: Two Souls comes out today. A game I am very interested in. I check gamerankings.com and there isn't a single review for it. What the heck is that about? Are they being held back for some nefarious reason? This doesn't bode well.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6068 on: October 08, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »

Beyond: Two Souls comes out today. A game I am very interested in. I check gamerankings.com and there isn't a single review for it. What the heck is that about? Are they being held back for some nefarious reason? This doesn't bode well.

It doesn't have to be a bad sign. Big publishers make reviewers sign NDAs just to make themselves feel more important all the time. Welcome to the world of modern game journalism...
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6069 on: October 08, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »

It doesn't have to be a bad sign. Big publishers make reviewers sign NDAs just to make themselves feel more important all the time. Welcome to the world of modern game journalism...

It doesn't have to be a bad sign...but it probably is.  Review embargoes happen all the time, of course, but going this far is abnormal.  Particularly for Sony, as they almost always seem to allow reviews to go up really early when they have confidence in a game.  This behavior is really suspicious...

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6070 on: October 08, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »

And yeah, most of the reviews I've seen now that the embargo is finally lifted are roughly 5/10, 50%, 2.5 stars. Not exactly a good start for a highly anticipated title.

Though why anyone would anticipate something from Cage and Quantic is -beyond- me.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6071 on: October 08, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »

I'm seeing a bunch of 9/10s too, actually.  Just seems to be a very divisive game.  No surprise there...

Though I am concerned about the claims that there's even less player agency than in Heavy Rain...

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6072 on: October 08, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »

Though I am concerned about the claims that there's even less player agency than in Heavy Rain...

"It looks like a movie."

And it plays like one.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6073 on: October 08, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »

Here's the thing: I have absolutely no issue with interactive fiction, even if the interactivity is minimal (so long as the fiction part is good...).  Heck, I like visual novels and it's hard to think of a game genre less interactive than those.

In a VN you can sometimes go hours without even making a single decision, just reading.  But when you do make decisions they're actually meaningful, and change the outcome of the story.  In this sense, Beyond: Two Souls is the opposite (based on what I've read, haven't played it yet...).  The game is constantly making you push buttons and stuff, but other than a slightly different animation here and there your actions have absolutely no bearing on where the story is going.  For all its faults there were some significant divergences of the story in Heavy Rain.  That doesn't seem to be the case here.  The way the story was written simply doesn't allow for variations, so you're only allowed to affect things that don't matter...

And that's kind of stupid.  This is the first time when all those "David Cage should have just made a movie" criticisms seem valid to me...

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6074 on: October 08, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »

^I think it was on NeoGAF were I read that Beyond has like, 23 endings.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: