Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 04:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319777 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 361742 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6075 on: October 08, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »

And yeah, most of the reviews I've seen now that the embargo is finally lifted are roughly 5/10, 50%, 2.5 stars. Not exactly a good start for a highly anticipated title.

Though why anyone would anticipate something from Cage and Quantic is -beyond- me.

Because I actually really liked Heavy Rain, and was hoping for another great game to play. Sue me.

Everyone keeps talking about David Cage. I have no actual interest in him or his attitudes. All I care about is whether the game is good, bad, or inbetween.
Now that reviews are up, I am more confused than ever. They're all over the map! I think it's safe to say that it may not be worth full price, but I may pick it up when it drops to $40 or so.
I'm big on story heavy games more now than ever. I don't care about linearity or difficulty(unless it's too hard).
Stuff like To the Moon and Gone Home work for me. I'm anxious to try out Dear Esther, too.
That's why a game like this intrigues me.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6076 on: October 08, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »

Everyone keeps talking about David Cage. I have no actual interest in him or his attitudes. All I care about is whether the game is good, bad, or inbetween.

If you liked Heavy Rain you are going to enjoy your time with Beyond.

Also it seems that there is more action in Beyond that there ever was in Heavy Rain. For the little I've seen though the action itself looks very passive gameplay wise.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6077 on: October 08, 2013, 08:44:52 PM »

Hey, DS lufia game worth 23 bucks?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6078 on: October 08, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »

Hey, DS lufia game worth 23 bucks?

Maybe.... You like ARPGs with a heavily abridged and somewhat goofier version (like making Lexis a Doc Brown expy to serve as a foil to Maxim McFly) of Lufia 2's plot? You might like it if you can get by the crappier character designs all around (it's debatable, but Selena's could be considered an improvement, the rest are generally for the worse though), almost none of the puzzles that made Lufia 2 stand out to begin with (Ancient Cave's a pure dungeon crawler now), and an extra ending that pretty much retcons the entire series out of existence (except for Ruins of Lore, but I guess you can't get rid of that kind of tumor that easily; not sure about Energy Breaker but its probably safe since it was only tenuously tied to the series at best).

Still, it's a kinda serviceable game, and you'd still get the soundtrack (although less opportunities to hear the good parts) at least, but you'd probably be better off playing OG Lufia 2 instead.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6079 on: October 08, 2013, 10:16:25 PM »

If you liked Heavy Rain you are going to enjoy your time with Beyond.

Also it seems that there is more action in Beyond that there ever was in Heavy Rain. For the little I've seen though the action itself looks very passive gameplay wise.

I kinda wish they made their tech demo "Kara" into some funky story-game.  I find it kinda strange when they work in actors into a game unless its Jean Reno in Onimusha or Andy Serkis influencing the very rudimentary features of his face into his character in Enslaved: Journey to the West.

Also Ellen Page is one of those girls women I can't decide if she's pretty or not.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6080 on: October 08, 2013, 10:40:06 PM »

I sort of found nothing appealing about the original Lufia 2 tbh :S

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6081 on: October 08, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »

Well, everyone is entitled to be wrong, Meshy.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6082 on: October 08, 2013, 10:54:04 PM »

I see it as one of those games where I only like that particular *one* in the series.  (I can't remember the first game for the life of me though).

I loved the art for the DS remake.... but why did it become an action RPG?  Strange/interesting[?] choice.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6083 on: October 09, 2013, 01:20:10 AM »

I sort of found nothing appealing about the original Lufia 2 tbh :S

Well as long as you like ARPGs then you're probably alright. It's an okay game if you ignore the original version entirely. Nothing amazing, nothing really new or different, and nothing worth paying full price for on release day but its kinda okay.

I see it as one of those games where I only like that particular *one* in the series.  (I can't remember the first game for the life of me though).

I loved the art for the DS remake.... but why did it become an action RPG?  Strange/interesting[?] choice.

The first game is kinda really derivative of the JRPG formula being cranked out during that era but it did enough differently to kinda stand out for its day (it especially helped matters that it got released in the west since it really wasn't that far above the rest of the pack in terms of what Japan was getting back in that day). The soundtrack, the opening, and the ending helped quite a bit as well. Too bad the rest was mostly fetch quest filler bullshit that was endemic of the day.

Basically, I'd say Lufia 1 is to Lufia 2 as Phantasy Star 1 is to Phantasy Star 4, Lufia 1 tried some things that hadn't been done before but time has not treated it well, while Lufia 2 could be considered playable even by today's standards and is worth the effort if its up your alley. Unfortunately, Lufia 3 was an incredibly boring dungeon crawler and Ruins of Lore sucks donkey nuts. The DS remake could've given the series the kick in the balls it so desperately needed to be relevant again but it was pretty cheaply done and didn't do nearly enough to justify standing out from the rest of the pack.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6084 on: October 09, 2013, 02:05:20 AM »

Beyond: Two Souls Reviews Round-Up -- All Games Beta

Look at that big mess of numbers.

Ellen Page is one of those girls women I can't decide if she's pretty or not.

*shrug* She has her appeal.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6085 on: October 09, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »

I think she's a pretty girl. I've only seen her in Whip It! (I think I saw that... ) and Inception! I think the game does a great job of highlighting her eyes with which I'm in love with:

I'll play Beyond Two Souls because the premise is great.

LA Noire had a similar summation of great performances and production but questionable dialogue (Cole snapping during interviews for no reason) and chunky gameplay and I walked away from that LOVING it.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6086 on: October 09, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »

^She is cute like a normal woman, not hot like most people is used to see their women in movies.

I like my women cute so she's nice as far as I'm concerned.

Also I think I'm gonna buy Beyond anyway. The game seems to live or die for of its story and it does look better and way more interesting than Heavy Rain, so from that point they have my curiosity (and money).
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6087 on: October 09, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »

^She is cute like a normal woman, not hot like most people is used to see their women in movies.

I like my women cute so she's nice as far as I'm concerned.

Also I think I'm gonna buy Beyond anyway. The game seems to live or die for of its story and it does look better and way more interesting than Heavy Rain, so from that point they have my curiosity (and money).
"normal" women >>>>> every day of the week over what Hollywood and the celeb world sells as beautiful.

I certainly plan on playing it no matter the reviews, but I told my wife not to bother getting it for me for my birthday. It can wait for a price drop.

Bioshock Infinite. There are some nights when the first person really makes me head woozey. Especially when in an action scene and I have to look all over the place for enemies and such. I wish this game had a lock on option.
Elizabeth is cool, but they play up her "Master of Unlocking" skills a bit too much.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6088 on: October 09, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »

About 12 hours into Tales of Vesperia (yes, I know, as usual I am way behind, but I never owned an XBOX) and so far the game play reminds me of Abyss, as do the characters. So, while I do like it a lot I am curious if it changes much or do the similarities continue, doesn't matter either way, just curious.

Everything's Eventual
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6089 on: October 09, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »

About 12 hours into Tales of Vesperia (yes, I know, as usual I am way behind, but I never owned an XBOX) and so far the game play reminds me of Abyss, as do the characters. So, while I do like it a lot I am curious if it changes much or do the similarities continue, doesn't matter either way, just curious.

bwahahaha I knew that was going to end up being your toy

Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: