Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 08:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335169 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 434266 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6165 on: October 25, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »

@Yoda: Getting the Platinum Trophy in SotC seems like busywork but I doubt is hard with the exception of climbing the top of the Shrine and finishing ICO in less than 2 hours.

@GrimReality: Yeah, yeah... no need to get defensive. I already know that you get a bit dramatic for not being "hardcore enough" about gaming and that you just leave games in general as time for relaxation, that's great.

Dying over and over again is not fun.

The worse thing that can happen to you is lose a bunch of souls and humanity when you need to use them. Dying in itself is not a big deal unless you get your ass kicked by the same enemy 10 times, that's pretty annoying, and the worse thing that can happen there is you losing your shit. :P
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6166 on: October 25, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »

I beat Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance today. This week work has been slow.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6167 on: October 25, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »

SotC was ruined for me because of how they changed Wander's grip.  The main game was fine, but those challenges were pretty much based on luck because your guy would flail around like a wet noodle at the slightest colossi movement.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6168 on: October 25, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »

@Yoda: Getting the Platinum Trophy in SotC seems like busywork but I doubt is hard with the exception of climbing the top of the Shrine and finishing ICO in less than 2 hours.

@GrimReality: Yeah, yeah... no need to get defensive. I already know that you get a bit dramatic for not being "hardcore enough" about gaming and that you just leave games in general as time for relaxation, that's great.

Dying over and over again is not fun.

The worse thing that can happen to you is lose a bunch of souls and humanity when you need to use them. Dying in itself is not a big deal unless you get your ass kicked by the same enemy 10 times, that's pretty annoying, and the worse thing that can happen there is you losing your shit. :P

To platinum SotC you have to beat all the time trials and with the controls ... That seems less possible and more frustrating than shaving time off in Ico. I'll probably do neither anyway ha
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6169 on: October 25, 2013, 08:10:43 PM »

The worse thing that can happen to you is lose a bunch of souls and humanity when you need to use them.

No, the worst thing that can happen is that I have to replay about half an hour's worth of the same exact thing I just did. And that quits being very fun, very fast.

Dark Souls' challenge comes from figuring out how to deal with the obstacles it throws at you. Learning the maps. Learning the enemy attack patterns. Once you /know/ what you're dealing with and how to beat a given enemy, there's not much difficulty in actually executing whatever sequence of actions you're supposed to do.

Nothing actually changes in how you're going to do this.

You don't so much get good at Dark Souls as you memorize how to do a given stretch of it without dying.

For any given stretch of map, you are going to learn where the enemies are, how they attack, where you're safe, where you get ambushed... you're going to learn that really fast. And you're going to repeat the sections you already know how to do when you die, which isn't fun, because they're no longer challenging -- because you're no longer figuring anything new out. But you still have to do them, and they don't go by that fast.

The fun part of Dark Souls is figuring out how to beat the hard parts, but the easy parts start outweighing the difficult, interesting parts pretty fast, and you have to keep repeating the easy parts to get back to the hard parts.

And that's tedious.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6170 on: October 25, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »

Got a new copy of the MGS HD Collection because something was bugging me with my original copy, so I sold that one I got a new one. Also I saw in the store a copy of REmake for Wii fairly cheap, I didn't knew that there were still a few brand new copies on sale.

Crazy to think that REmake is from 2002. And I suppose is still as good as it has always been with tank controls, awesome atmosphere and everything.

The worse thing that can happen to you is lose a bunch of souls and humanity when you need to use them.

No, the worst thing that can happen is that I have to replay about half an hour's worth of the same exact thing I just did.

"How horrible. Time of my life is being used in a way I don't like it because this video game is making me work for my entertainment."
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6171 on: October 25, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »

I think the stress of losing progress is a love/hate relationship with DS.
I have to admit that dying at the top of Sen's Fortress made me rage so bad (the whole zone actually made me rage), but that is all set up so that when you finally beat the area, you are that much more proud of it.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6172 on: October 25, 2013, 10:03:46 PM »

No, the worst thing that can happen is that I have to replay about half an hour's worth of the same exact thing I just did.

"How horrible. Time of my life is being used in a way I don't like it because this video game is making me work for my entertainment."

I thank you deeply for reading my post and not just cherrypicking a random line out of it to make a snippy comment in response to. It feels great when you try to express your points thoughtfully and someone actually listens to them.

Meanwhile, my copy of Mars Matrix came, and I played that for awhile. Super enjoyable. I want to read up on how the scoring works -- I like shmups with interesting scoring mechanics because they let you focus on improving your score once you've mastered surviving a level, so that repeating early levels doesn't get tedious.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:13:34 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6173 on: October 25, 2013, 10:14:50 PM »

I thank you deeply for reading my post and not just cherrypicking a random line out of it to make a snippy comment in response to.

Don't be salty Mesh, I did read your entire post.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6174 on: October 25, 2013, 10:48:38 PM »

Takes a lot for me to get snarky at people (*things* I have no problem with)

With that being said, I think Yggdrasil should go back to sharing VG news stories instead of getting passive-aggressive towards people who don't have the same taste in games as him.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6175 on: October 25, 2013, 11:06:03 PM »

I thank you deeply for reading my post and not just cherrypicking a random line out of it to make a snippy comment in response to. It feels great when you try to express your points thoughtfully and someone actually listens to them.

Meanwhile, my copy of Mars Matrix came, and I played that for awhile. Super enjoyable. I want to read up on how the scoring works -- I like shmups with interesting scoring mechanics because they let you focus on improving your score once you've mastered surviving a level, so that repeating early levels doesn't get tedious.

This is the first time you've expressed real human emotion

(sarcasm)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6176 on: October 26, 2013, 12:07:20 AM »

Shadow of the Colossus:

Reminiscence Mode

For a game that seems at first so short they really put a lot of detail into the world.

I think Yggdrasil should go back to sharing VG news stories instead of getting passive-aggressive towards people who don't have the same taste in games as him.

Nice way of saying "fuck off".

Though, dunno where you came up with the passive-aggressive thing when I never did any of my previous posts with that intention. Either way let's not do this dance with being shitty to one another.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6177 on: October 26, 2013, 12:21:02 AM »

I've shared this in multiple threads but for as much as I loved Demon's Souls I can't get into Dark Souls. Demon's seemed liked just the perfect balance... or I was in the right mood at that time. Even though Demon's levels were hard you could basically reason them out. In Dark souls it seems like a lot more "hahah got you! start over sonny." which I don't have time for.

the last thing I did in that game was run up a winding staircase and was greated by some huge knight that one hit me into shutting the game off and shelving it. I'll probably go back I guess.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6178 on: October 26, 2013, 02:22:19 AM »

I learned to run away if I meet a big enemy unless I do plan to slay it.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6179 on: October 26, 2013, 03:14:35 AM »

I learned to run away if I meet a big enemy unless I do plan to slay it.

But you're a man not a boy, and there are things you can't avoid. You have to face them when you're not prepared to face them.

Also pimping Kamui again, since you can get it in the current groupee for like 75 cents right now. It's got some really beautiful level design, and apparently some serious longevity from its scoring mechanics.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: