Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 05:27:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319265 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 358984 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6195 on: October 30, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »

SMTIV: The Hunt for Red October Black Samurai. Cleared out Shibuya, and even snagged myself a copy of Sword of Hope (too bad Sword of Hope 2 is both rarer, and the better game). Next up Roppongi and the not-Yakuza.

I have both, and while I enjoyed the first one, the presence of /actual save games/ in the second makes a worlds of the difference.

--- edit ---

No specific game updates but I've been bouncing around between TG16 and SNES games and I... something about SNES aesthetics bugs me.

So here we have Axelay which, in a still shot, is stupid gorgeous I mean jesus look at that detail wow. But in motion it feels a little slow, a little 'mushy', a little glitchy.

Which is something I get out of a lot of SNES games -- R-Type 3, Ys 4, the Seiken games, Contra 3 all come to mind. Same kind of thing for the music -- the SNES sound chip was a lot more capable than what the TG16 and Genesis had, but a lot of SNES sound is very echoey, very... low-bitratey sounding.

I don't think it's the HARDWARE, just a trend of what people were doing then. "Hey our sound chip supports echo filteUSE IT ON EVERYTHING."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:43:06 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6196 on: October 30, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »

The only slowdowns in Super Contra 3 are when the game gets too graphical... which happens a lot
www.youtube.com/watch?v=15cj7HMimRU

Thinking about it, the bombs in that game must have caused a lot of epilepsy attacks.

EDIT: For the europeans out there, we're talking about Super Probotector! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXdRRabOmFU
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:16:37 PM by Annubis » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6197 on: October 30, 2013, 10:47:20 PM »

The only slowdowns in Super Contra 3 are when the game gets too graphical... which happens a lot
www.youtube.com/watch?v=15cj7HMimRU

Thinking about it, the bombs in that game must have caused a lot of epilepsy attacks.

EDIT: For the europeans out there, we're talking about Super Probotector! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXdRRabOmFU

I don't mean slowdown, it just felt a lot more rigid than Hard Corps of Gunstar Heroes to me.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6198 on: October 31, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »

Picross DS

This game is like digital crack. It is like a weird combination of minesweeper and sudoku.

Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6199 on: October 31, 2013, 03:03:57 PM »

I want to start making a habit of posting in the game journal. I feel like I'm lacking something when I don't come here and post on a habitual basis.

Disgaea D2

Chapter 8 and still no real plot development to speak of. Yet, in spite of that fact I am enjoying the title none-the-less. Shallow as my taste might be, all I need is Laharl spouting off about beating the snot out of anyone who disagrees with him being the overlord to be satisfied. D2 certainly has ample amounts of that! In all honesty I wasn't expecting much more out of the narrative and continue to be pleasantly surprised by how engaging the battles are. I am overpowered at this point and yet the maps still demand I do a little thinking regardless. Gooooood stuff!!

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6200 on: October 31, 2013, 04:03:42 PM »

Finally finished GTA IV.  I say finished and not beat.  By the time I got to the end mission, I just wanted the game to end.  I kept dying/failing on the motorbike.  I hate driving so much.  Yes I know auto is in the title, so driving is a big part of it.  It's just after failing missions, you have to drive across town over and over again.  They need more checkpoints in missions.  I just you tubed the damn ending and called it a day.

I then played and beat a game I had a fantastic time with:  Tomb Raider.  I wasn't sure what to expect since I read mixed reviews.  Yes it is like Uncharted, but since I love Uncharted I didn't mind the change.

Now I am playing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon as my Halloween game even though it is more comedic than scary.  Luigi might disagree with that though.

Yoda - Binary Domain was one of the most enjoyable games I played this year.  I highly recommend it. 

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6201 on: October 31, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »

Picross DS

This game is like digital crack. It is like a weird combination of minesweeper and sudoku.

I knew I played too much Picross when I knew how to tackle every piece without hints.... and I started to THINK LIFE in PICROSS.  ...I was very sleepy and I was waiting to get into a crowding bus and said "alright, if that many of her go there then I can't go here".... I then put the game down for about a week.

Pokemon Y is beaten!!  I did it with basically 5 Pokemon because my Lapras is my HM whore that stayed at half the level of the Elite 4.  I *loved* the presentation for the Elite 4 rooms.  Those were some fancy battle stages.

Is Megaevolution that powerful?  I managed to take out the last pkmn with one hit with my Super Sword Pokemon.

Played more Phoenix Wright.  Perjury and faking evidence clearly have no weight in court; but if you fuck up once, that asshole judge is all over you. >=/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:11:19 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6202 on: October 31, 2013, 10:10:16 PM »

Silpheed: TLP - Got up to level 3. I'm enjoying this level quite a bit and the uses for the different weapons is getting more apparent. Also this REALLY reminds me of, uh, Axelay and Radiant Silvergun. Which makes sense. It's Treasure.

REALLY wish the game had mission mode or between level saves, as the levels are sort of long.

Meanwhile I feel really mopey about my inability to enjoy SNES RPGs anymore :((((((((

--- edit ---

Got Soldier Blade, Gate of Thunder, and Dragon's Curse on Wiiware.

TG16 is so goddamn neat.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:33:31 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6203 on: November 01, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »

So I decided to finally try KanColle, this browser-based game that has been sweeping Japan.  Seriously, the hype level for this game is out of control.  Doujins, cosplay, figures, etc...I've never seen so much interest in a browser game before.  Not even close.

The problem is, the stupid website it's on actually blocks overseas connections, so in order to play it at all you need to connect to a Japanese VPN or proxy.  After setting all of that up, registering an account, etc. I tried to play it last night and found that...it was down for maintenance.  Well, that sucks I thought.  Guess I have to try again later.  Checked this afternoon (over 12 hours later) and it was still down for maintenance...

Not starting out on the best foot here...

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6204 on: November 01, 2013, 08:47:26 PM »

Finished Bioshock Infinite last night. What a great game. The whole ending sequence was pretty amazing. And completely mind boggling. I'm honestly confused as to exactly what it all meant. Has anybody else in here finishes this game? And understood it? If so, I'd like to hear your interpretation.
I'm not sure what I'm going to play next. Do I go back to Darksiders 2? Do I buy Dear Esther, which I am very intrigued by? Do I go ahead and order DMC or Dragins Dogma? I'll figure it out.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6205 on: November 01, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »

Bioshock Infinite

Grim you should replay the game up to the coin toss in the beginning. Should only take a few minutes but has a lot of whoa moments you only get after finishing the game.

Code:
I think that by killing the Booker who accepted the baptism Comstock never existed. Every Comstock from every multiverse was created at the baptism so by removing him at the origin, Comstock never existed. The Booker that refused the baptism would be unnaffected though.

No Comstock = No Luteche getting the funds to build the rift gate = Anna was not brought to Comstocks world and got her finger mutilated. I think her finger getting cut off was what allowed her to travel between realities. With her finger in Anna's world she could travel freely as a part of her was in two realites at the same time.

The Lutece "twins" were great and probably my favourite characters in the game. Glad I saw the scene after the credits though as it did give a resolution. It would have been depressing if Booker had died as well as Comstock. It is a shame that Elizabeth never existed though as I loved her character. I know Anna is still around but they will not be the same person.

Didn't fully catch on to the time loop until I replayed it and got to the coin flip part. It suddenly hit me that you had been the one who had tossed those coins and picked heads every time.

Even in the beginning when they are talking about rowing the boat.
F Lutece: Why don't you ask him to row
M Lutece: Because he doesn't row
F Lutece: What do you mean?
M Lutece He DOESN'T row
F Lutece: Ah, I see what you mean
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:18:57 PM by Darilon » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6206 on: November 01, 2013, 10:26:58 PM »

Bioshock Infinite

Grim you should replay the game up to the coin toss in the beginning. Should only take a few minutes but has a lot of whoa moments you only get after finishing the game.

Yeah I geeked out when I "got" the coin toss.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6207 on: November 02, 2013, 12:12:34 AM »

I mostly played Soldier Blade and Radiant Silvergun tonight. Got up to the level 3 boss in SB but died. SB's infinite continues + Wii's save states are nice though. This has me interested in chiptune music now.

Radiant Silvergun I'm not really feeling. The slowness and the mazey level designs aren't doing much for me. The maze-like nature of the levels is... tedious and reminds me of R-Type's worst moments. And it feels like there's only one way to beat each section and the game is just a matter of figuring that out, but it's less solving something and more... feels like they developer is being all "look how clever I am!" Decision making is meaningless when there's only one correct choice.

idk I think I might pass on Ikaruga whenever it gets a steam release. Apparently it's really similar.

It's funny 'cause RSG and Ikaruga are both widely regarded as being best-in-genre games, and I kind of hate RSG. This seems to be a recurring theme with me, though -- cough Lufia 2 cough.

I feel like I should go back to Xenoblade at some point but I felt like the quality really dropped in Alcamoth*, and I have to admit it kind of killed my interest. Does it pick up again after that?

* Alcamoth is huge but really empty, and like half of the NPCs are just talking about game systems I'm already familiar with.
* The tomb had a lot of basically unavoidable encounters. Eeeeer.
* Eryth Sea's annoying to get around.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:54:26 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6208 on: November 02, 2013, 03:43:35 AM »

Rayman Origins. fun and beautiful.

So cute and awesome it hurts.

http://youtu.be/B2WEaJ1jDjY
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:33:01 AM by Yoda » Logged

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6209 on: November 02, 2013, 08:34:19 AM »

I mostly played Soldier Blade and Radiant Silvergun tonight. Got up to the level 3 boss in SB but died. SB's infinite continues + Wii's save states are nice though. This has me interested in chiptune music now.

Radiant Silvergun I'm not really feeling. The slowness and the mazey level designs aren't doing much for me. The maze-like nature of the levels is... tedious and reminds me of R-Type's worst moments. And it feels like there's only one way to beat each section and the game is just a matter of figuring that out, but it's less solving something and more... feels like they developer is being all "look how clever I am!" Decision making is meaningless when there's only one correct choice.

idk I think I might pass on Ikaruga whenever it gets a steam release. Apparently it's really similar.

It's funny 'cause RSG and Ikaruga are both widely regarded as being best-in-genre games, and I kind of hate RSG. This seems to be a recurring theme with me, though -- cough Lufia 2 cough.
[/code]

RSG, Ikaruga, and other Treasure games tend to be hailed as the best by people who only have passing knowledge of the genre they're picking the reigning champion in. They're a lot like various Cave games in that they pretty much require you to memorize a single optimal route instead of letting you get by on twitch dodging/twitch+memorization alone.

Likewise, the original version of Lufia 2 also has it's own set of problems that keep it from being the best of the genre on the system (while it has aged fairly well, it doesn't change the fact that the problems it had to begin with still remain as well). Still, it did a lot better than the BoF games did.

[code]
I feel like I should go back to Xenoblade at some point but I felt like the quality really dropped in Alcamoth*, and I have to admit it kind of killed my interest. Does it pick up again after that?

* Alcamoth is huge but really empty, and like half of the NPCs are just talking about game systems I'm already familiar with.
* The tomb had a lot of basically unavoidable encounters. Eeeeer.
* Eryth Sea's annoying to get around.

This is why I tried to suggest getting through the Alcamoth section before trying to do all the quests there earlier, it's most definitely the low point of the game. You're like a brief dungeon away from the plot taking off (unless you've already done Prison Island in which case the plot should already be beginning to rev up again, starting with Shulk getting his mid-season upgrade), and the area after that is when the gameplay should begin to pick up again (if not there then in the area after two rather straightforward areas after the first aforementioned area).

Also, the tomb shouldn't be too much trouble to navigate on subsequent visits should you find yourself returning there (there are a couple of spots that are still a pain, but the place does hold a few secrets; even if a few of them require end/postgame levels).

Anyways, SMTIV: The Ring of Gaea (or The Ring of Time to you PALers). I'm now running through a haunted mansion and meeting everybody's favorite dungeon crawler gimmick, Teleporter Mazes. I also have all three of the Japan Treasures so if &| when I bump into the quest that demands turning them in, it should go quickly.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: