Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:48:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334809 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 429110 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6210 on: November 02, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »

Just finished Platinum for Sly 3 last night, meaning The Sly Collection is finally out of my backlog, and I can replace it with Lego Lord of the Rings. Still working on all the games I've mentioned in this thread, too, just doing so very slowly since FFXIV has me wrapped around it's finger.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6211 on: November 02, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »

This is why I tried to suggest getting through the Alcamoth section before trying to do all the quests there earlier, it's most definitely the low point of the game. You're like a brief dungeon away from the plot taking off (unless you've already done Prison Island in which case the plot should already be beginning to rev up again, starting with Shulk getting his mid-season upgrade), and the area after that is when the gameplay should begin to pick up again (if not there then in the area after two rather straightforward areas after the first aforementioned area).

Also, the tomb shouldn't be too much trouble to navigate on subsequent visits should you find yourself returning there (there are a couple of spots that are still a pain, but the place does hold a few secrets; even if a few of them require end/postgame levels).

I'm actually in the snow area (I got there in like early October), and I skipped pretty much all of the sidequests in Alcamoth/Eryth Sea, except for the few I did incidentally.

Also the tomb isn't hard to navigate it's just the mandatory goddamn golems every five steps.

--- edit ---

Ikaruga seems fun enough but I'm not really seeing the "BEST GAME EVER" aspect here.

Managed to get up to level 3 in Hellsinker. Level 3 is fuuuuuu
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:49:18 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6212 on: November 02, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »

I think the swimming levels in Rayman Origins are the best ones ever.

Darksiders had good swimming too. Odd, eh?
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6213 on: November 02, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »

This is why I tried to suggest getting through the Alcamoth section before trying to do all the quests there earlier, it's most definitely the low point of the game. You're like a brief dungeon away from the plot taking off (unless you've already done Prison Island in which case the plot should already be beginning to rev up again, starting with Shulk getting his mid-season upgrade), and the area after that is when the gameplay should begin to pick up again (if not there then in the area after two rather straightforward areas after the first aforementioned area).

Also, the tomb shouldn't be too much trouble to navigate on subsequent visits should you find yourself returning there (there are a couple of spots that are still a pain, but the place does hold a few secrets; even if a few of them require end/postgame levels).

I'm actually in the snow area (I got there in like early October), and I skipped pretty much all of the sidequests in Alcamoth/Eryth Sea, except for the few I did incidentally.

Also the tomb isn't hard to navigate it's just the mandatory goddamn golems every five steps.

For the love of God, give the game a few more hours. you are almost THERE mesh!!! what is there?!? WHO is there!??? well you'll never know... until you get there!!!

But for real. Your a hop-skip away from some of the best parts of the game.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6214 on: November 02, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »

Bioshock Infinite

Grim you should replay the game up to the coin toss in the beginning. Should only take a few minutes but has a lot of whoa moments you only get after finishing the game.

Code:
I think that by killing the Booker who accepted the baptism Comstock never existed. Every Comstock from every multiverse was created at the baptism so by removing him at the origin, Comstock never existed. The Booker that refused the baptism would be unnaffected though.

No Comstock = No Luteche getting the funds to build the rift gate = Anna was not brought to Comstocks world and got her finger mutilated. I think her finger getting cut off was what allowed her to travel between realities. With her finger in Anna's world she could travel freely as a part of her was in two realites at the same time.

The Lutece "twins" were great and probably my favourite characters in the game. Glad I saw the scene after the credits though as it did give a resolution. It would have been depressing if Booker had died as well as Comstock. It is a shame that Elizabeth never existed though as I loved her character. I know Anna is still around but they will not be the same person.

Didn't fully catch on to the time loop until I replayed it and got to the coin flip part. It suddenly hit me that you had been the one who had tossed those coins and picked heads every time.

Even in the beginning when they are talking about rowing the boat.
F Lutece: Why don't you ask him to row
M Lutece: Because he doesn't row
F Lutece: What do you mean?
M Lutece He DOESN'T row
F Lutece: Ah, I see what you mean

Bioshock Infinite

Grim you should replay the game up to the coin toss in the beginning. Should only take a few minutes but has a lot of whoa moments you only get after finishing the game.

Yeah I geeked out when I "got" the coin toss.

I watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhjKW1S1xvk, and it explained things very well. I pretty much didn't get ANY of it. That's no surprise, as I suck at understanding mindfuck type things.
I STILL don't understand the bit about rowing, even after watching the above video.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6215 on: November 03, 2013, 01:26:48 AM »

Bangai-O: Up to level 12. Which is about a fourth of the way through the game. And I kind of don't want to admit it to myself, since the game wasn't exactly cheap, but... I honestly think it's kind of boring? Unless you're going for speed or score, there's nothing stopping you from just being deliberate and careful in the levels, and they're kind of easy if you... do that.

Also my Rev. 0 DC failed to load the first time. That's... bad.

Oh, also played a little more Radiant Silvergun. "Too clever for its own good" is how I'd describe it. The gotcha moments, the puzzles, it's... sort of like what put me off Dark Souls. It feels like it's not a game you /get good at/, but a game you /figure out how to beat/.

So basically, out of Bangai-O, Silpheed, Radiant Silvergun, and Ikaruga, I only like Silpheed, I'm really liking Silpheed a lot, and Silpheed's pretty much considered Treasure's second worst game from what I gather.

Meanwhile I see a bunch of people hating on Deadly Premonition for not supporting 1080p. I don't even know why that matters.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:35:33 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6216 on: November 03, 2013, 04:26:49 AM »

I STILL don't understand the bit about rowing, even after watching the above video.

Bioshock Infinite Spoilers

Code:
The Booker you play in the game wasn't the first one. The coin toss as well as other things in the game suggest this. Countless Bookers have died along the way. That is why they say Songbird always took the girl away. The Luteche twins keep trying to add little things for each Booker in an attempt to make him succeed. That is why they keep doing stuff like telling you not to pick that number in the lottery and give you a shield power. The coin toss suggests that it is really hard to change things though as each booker had chosen heads.

The rowing is just the Male Luteche twin saying that not a single Booker had rowed the boat in any multiverse so it was highly unlikely that this one would.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6217 on: November 03, 2013, 10:05:49 AM »

The Last of Us:

Got all the trophies and while TLoU does a bunch of things right I still can't stand say I love it.

Don't know if I should sell my copy or not. I sort of enjoy the multiplayer, I like when TLoU tries to be a Survival (Action) Horror game, I appreciate the effort that went into this production but if there's one thing TLoU will never be for me is fun.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6218 on: November 03, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »

The Last of Us:

Got all the trophies and while TLoU does a bunch of things right I still can't stand say I love it.

Don't know if I should sell my copy or not. I sort of enjoy the multiplayer, I like when TLoU tries to be a Survival (Action) Horror game, I appreciate the effort that went into this production but if there's one thing TLoU will never be for me is fun.

I always thought that getting all trophies takes a lot of the "fun" from any game.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6219 on: November 03, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »

I always thought that getting all trophies takes a lot of the "fun" from any game.

Nah, not if you like the game enough really.

And don't get me wrong, for a game about beautiful scenery, well-developed characters, shitty feelings and a lot gunfights. TLoU is not exactly bad if not for the fact that the game never knew how to have fun with itself and went to the extreme with that until the very end. Not even MGS4 (the most serious in tone and the most depressive entry of the series) does that.

Hell, not even Red Dead Redemption did that and that game overall is pretty grim.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:10:23 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6220 on: November 03, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »

Not even MGS4 (the most serious in tone and the most depressive entry of the series) does that.

"Not even" MGS4?  You make it sound like having a more serious tone than a Metal Gear game (even if it's the 'most serious' of the bunch) is somehow notable.  That entire series is whack...

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6221 on: November 03, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »

"Not even" MGS4?  You make it sound like having a more serious tone than a Metal Gear game (even if it's the 'most serious' of the bunch) is somehow notable.  That entire series is whack...

I don't wanna have this conversation because it only goes in circles. :T
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6222 on: November 03, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »

Completely agree there. That's why I have almost no platinums.
There is always at the very least 1 trophy that is just zero fun at all to get.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6223 on: November 03, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »

I figured by now I'd have found at least one game that naturally compelled me to get a platinum but it just has not happened. I'm very much a completionist by nature but unless your playing specifically to get trophies, it just doesn't happen. I am still without a platinum and will probably remain so.

"Completing" a game and getting all the trophies, seem to be two different goals entirely to me... the latter (trophies) feeling more a chore than anything else IMO.

For my "retro-gaming weekend" agenda I decided to give Chrono Trigger another play. I've played it so many times I feel like I could hand draw most dungeon maps from memory if I had to and yet I still love every minute I spend with the game. Just got through Heckran's (sp?) Cave.

Its funny.... I notice for some odd reason it is way easier to sit down for a multi- hour gaming session when I do these "retro" games on the weekend. I don't know what it is about older 16 bit era titles, but they hold my attention without my mind wandering for longer periods of time it seems.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 03:48:14 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6224 on: November 03, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »

I figured by now I'd have found at least one game that naturally compelled me to get a platinum but it just has not happened. I'm very much a completionist by nature but unless your playing specifically to get trophies, it just doesn't happen. I am still without a platinum and will probably remain so.

"Completing" a game and getting all the trophies, seem to be two different goals entirely to me... the latter (trophies) feeling more a chore than anything else IMO.

For my "retro-gaming weekend" agenda I decided to give Chrono Trigger another play. I've played it so many times I feel like I could hand draw most dungeon maps from memory if I had to and yet I still love every minute I spend with the game. Just got through Heckran's (sp?) Cave.

Its funny.... I notice for some odd reason it is way easier to sit down for a multi- hour gaming session when I do these "retro" games on the weekend. I don't know what it is about older 16 bit era titles, but they hold my attention without my mind wandering for longer periods of time it seems.

Basically this. 
I get what it is to "complete" a game --  and this usually includes doing post-game content.  But when you get stuff like "CRAFT EVERY ITEM" (half of which are literally useless -- FF9 comes to mind in terms of a lot of weird and random sidequests for key items that actually have *no* effect whatsoever), or "PERFORM X MOVE # TIMES" (for fuck's sake, Xillia's trophies really milked this one). 

It's not even a matter of it being a "challenge" some of the time as much as it is a matter of interest.

The Last of Us wasn't really good for trophies.  I love the hell out of that game, but to beat the game, every difficulty, not once -- but twice!!! ...was all but creative.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: