Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:41:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328021 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 391550 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6300 on: November 10, 2013, 08:59:59 PM »

@Aeolus: Was that true the whole thing of SQEX deciding between DQVII and BD to localize? For the longest time I thought that was something people were just saying with any base other than to be worried if DQVII was gonna come out or not.

This is also not the first time this has happened as a similar choice was made to localize DQVI over the second DS Fire Emblem (much to my chagrin, although a fanslation is out there).

I know Nintendo published DQVI, but 8-4 Play took care of the English translation. There must be other reason why the 2nd Fire Emblem for DS was never localized...
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6301 on: November 10, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »

If Squenix localized DQVII, they'd probably just take out half the script anyway, like they did with DQIV.

Anyway, unlocked the third galaxy in UR MR GAY. I guess I get to play with whatever the third transformation is, there. Hoping the level design starts improving. I mean I know these are the intro levels, but the first level in Super Mario 64 was pretty explorable.

Feel like I'm getting burnt out on games again.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6302 on: November 10, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »

If you're looking for exploration, Super Mario Galaxy isn't going to satisfy. It's still a really fun game, but it's not your traditional "Find all the stuffs" 3D Mario game. I think the days of those are long gone (Though SMG2 has a really fun "find the green stars" challenge after you finish)

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6303 on: November 10, 2013, 11:33:20 PM »

It's not so much that I'm looking for SM64 level exploration, it's just... SMG so far has been land on planetoid, complete some minor challenge, go to next planetoid.

I guess the levels are just feeling more like unconnected minigames than actual levels.

Oh, for some reason I never noticed this, but the Level 3 boss in Soldier Blade has like, magnets or something and moves your ship around. I think there's a safe region at the bottom of the screen where this doesn't affect you, idk.

I do have to say though I prefer playing shmups on a keyboard more than with a controller. Thumbstick movement is not terrible precise, and with a keyboard you can put your whole arm into it.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6304 on: November 11, 2013, 04:08:39 AM »

No. He means that Nintendo had to choose between BD:FF or DQVII because Squeenix can't be bothered to localize their own games anymore outside of Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts and NoA only has so many people/resources around to localize games with (especially in regards to RPGs).

That is correct.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6305 on: November 11, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »

^Is that is correct then what I essensially said wasn't an lie either.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6306 on: November 11, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »

^Is that is correct then what I essensially said wasn't an lie either.

It was a lie 'cause it was only true after Aeolus said it.

He's a wizard like that.

Anyway played a little Kamui on Hard Mode last night. Level 1 and 2 stages weren't much different. Level 2 boss had some new attack patterns. Which ran on top of its old attack patterns (It has these homing lasers at one point, which aren't hard to dodge on their own, and some fixed bullets, which were new, and make dodging the homing lasers a lot harder). It was painful.

--- edited for cynicism ---

You also have to consider that the DQVII remake would be, as far as I'm aware, a 'dead product', in the sense that there's no DLC. I don't know if Bravely Default has much DLC, but it looks like the sequel is being set up to be a veritable microtransaction mill.

Bravely Default, as a franchise, has more potential to commoditize the consumer than DQVII does. Given Square's propensity for bullshit,

(Personally, I don't really care that much. I like DQVII as is and it's flaws don't bother me. The main thing I would've liked was a new translation but I sort of have zero faith in Square to do that right, anyway. Of the DS remakes, 5 is the only one that got a translation I liked. 6's isn't as JESUS CHRIST WHY as 4's, but it's still...).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:07:49 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6307 on: November 11, 2013, 09:51:56 AM »

It was a lie 'cause it was only true after Aeolus said it.

He's a wizard like that.

In any case is not like it matters much since DQVII is not gonna be released anyway. Which is a shame but over time you just lose interest or accept it (unless you get really salty with SQEX).
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6308 on: November 11, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »

I'm annoyed seeing as DQ7 was my least favorite DQ game, and probably still one of my least favorite RPGs in general, but in the 3DS version, they seemed to have fixed nearly every problem in the entire game, and I don't get to play it. >_<

Anyways, I've been playing more Xenoblade. I'm in the Refugee camp, on my way to Colony 6. Looks like things might get heated soon. I can't wait. The Bionis' Leg is Huge, btw. So much to explore, so little time. :D

I'm suddenly in the mood to play an FPS, though...and the Family room is in use. And won't be habitable for at least 3 hours...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6309 on: November 11, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »

Chrono Trigger for my retro weekend agenda: Magus Castle.... utter awesomeness... playing segments of SNES rpgs like the aforementioned is like reconnecting with the "why" or "causation" of a great and passionate love. No, I am not exaggerating in the least be that sad or not.

Also familiarized myself with some of the translation changes in Chrono that I was unaware of. Magus' henchman original condiment names are way more "toriyama character" appropriate IMO.

Disgaea D2: End game grind to beat the final boss is going well. Bagged myself three legendary and retarded-over-powered swords in the item world today. Lady luck is on my side!!! I'm hoping after the real life grind this evening (work) I can manage to see the credits roll on D2.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6310 on: November 11, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »

Super Mario Galaxy: Completed the first observatory, except for the Press Switch galaxy or whatever. Also did the first... hungry luma galaxy? Whatever that was. And did the first level of the next observatory.

The Sweet Dreams and racing galaxies were annoying because I felt like I was fighting the controls more than I was... playing the game (what's with the floatiness and excessive inertia?) All the other galaxies have, so far, been land on planetoid -> do some menial task until I open the portal -> repeat -> get a gold start.

This is a Skinner Box and it's not even trying to hide it.

The platforming hasn't required any skill so far, there's no exploration, and the puzzles have... are they even puzzles? The first space junk level had me pulling Mario along pull stars, which involved... clicking on a bunch of star in sequence while not actually doing anything. At the end of that there was this other bit where I had to cross a narrowish platform that only had a few segments present at a time but this... just amounted to walking across a path very slowly. And then to get there I had to free some toads from ice, which... just led to the teleporter star being available. And there's no difficulty in freeing the toads -- you just spin into the ice blocks -- and there's no indication that freeing them will do anything productive, you just have to do it because... they're there? Because coming up with actual puzzles is hard?

It's like every time this game starts to do something interesting it doesn't. The one part where I thought it was going to be cool was the Bowser Jr. Leg Robot fight, which was setting itself up like something from SotC, but instead of getting that I had some completely pointless platforming bit on a set of gears, and then I just had to navigate some bullet bills into a weak point. And the only... challenge there was getting the bullets to not crash into the side of the robot first.

Then again, SMG has like, universally positive reviews on Metacritic and is considered one of the best games of its generation, so what do I know? I'm clearly the one with bad taste here.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6311 on: November 11, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »

@SuperMeshGear - The first world or two of a Mario game is usually more spectacle than anything else, just to show off how cool it looks. It gets more clever eventually...I guess, I don't know, I'm still on the 4th observatory and I actually haven't been that impressed with it. A few of the Luma stars are cool, though. And frustrating, but sometimes for the right reasons.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6312 on: November 11, 2013, 07:57:31 PM »

I don't think you quite have the right idea about a skinner box, Mesh. A skinner box refers to anything that rewards you randomly so that you never know when the next reward will come, thus keeping you thinking the next reward is right around the corner.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6313 on: November 11, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »

I don't think you quite have the right idea about a skinner box, Mesh. A skinner box refers to anything that rewards you randomly so that you never know when the next reward will come, thus keeping you thinking the next reward is right around the corner.

A Skinner Box is a device that let's you isolate a test subject with some device that they can interact with to either deliver a reward or punishment. The randomization is something you can do with it but it's not obligatory.

More commonly you don't /randomize/ the reward but space out the periods between doing the trained action elicits a reward -- which is applicable to idk MMOs.

Although the randomization thing still applies to SMG, honestly, since you're conditioned that if you... do whatever the level asks, you'll get a star, even if there's no logical connection between what you're doing and the star you get.

In any case it's still irrelevant since, accurate or not, Skinner Box is used in gaming parlance for any sort of push button, receive candy game design. SMG trains you to do some task, you do a few permutations of it, and you get a star.

Although I guess you can say that about a lot of games.

(Inexplicably enjoying Culdcept. It's like fortune street meets saga frontier. NEAT!)

--- edit ---

Actually here's the part where I admit that I'm totally fucked in the head: I can't tell if I actually dislike SMG, or if I'm making myself dislike it to prove a point (and what that point is isn't clear to me, although it probably related to Twilight Princess and my disdain for the word euroshmup).

Although this applies to everything. And it's not just me being contrarian it's like I'm trying to /narrativize a personality/ out of the /sum of my emotional response/. Except I'm also having both positive/negative/neutral responses at the same time and I'm arbitrarily picking one to believe I'm actually feeling.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:16:19 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6314 on: November 12, 2013, 04:47:40 AM »

I think I'm a KanColle addict now...

Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »