Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 03:37:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331455 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 411335 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6315 on: November 12, 2013, 07:35:15 AM »

I think I'm a KanColle addict now...

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6316 on: November 12, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »

I think I'm a KanColle addict now...

Yeah, it did.  Once you've got a couple fleets doing expeditions and you're completing quests on a regular basis you get a pretty steady supply of resources that lets you keep doing sorties and building new "ships" for more chances at getting rare ones.  As well as leveling them up and modernizing them...there's just a lot of stuff to do.  You have more limited options in the beginning.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6317 on: November 13, 2013, 10:53:22 AM »

Mirrors of Fate - Not a bad game so far. It's a side scrolling Castlevania with 3D backgrounds. Looks decent, sounds decent, plays decent. There's some pretty good Castlevania lore here, too. It's not perfect, but I like it.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6318 on: November 13, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »

Well the end game grind in Disgaea has come to an end. I over-prepared for the final boss it seems.... finally gave him a go and totally trumped him. The ending, while appropriate, was pretty weak IMO. Given the excessive amount of time I spent with D2 over the last few weeks I am going to be taking a break before I touch post game shtuff.

Getting back to Wind Waker.

I must say, I really never thought I would be so enthralled be Zelda again. Wind Waker really offers a non-Zelda flavor though. I can see why fans of the franchise were torn on this title. While I love it, it certainly doesn't "feel" quite like my other hyrulian experiences (or what I can remember of them).

That aside, this game has to  have some of the best freakin' dungeons I have ever explored. In fact, I think I dislike sailing and exploration only because of how I eager I am to get to the temples/dungeons.

Just figured out how to get into both the Earth and Wind temples but have yet to do so. Also, just today, aquired to power to control cyclones and fast travel a bit. The cyclone control made me so happy I could cry... LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6319 on: November 13, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »

If your favorite part of WW is the dungeons, prepare to be left wanting.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6320 on: November 13, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »

If your favorite part of WW is the dungeons, prepare to be left wanting.

Yeah, I can't say they were my favorite either.  I'm more about Twilight Princess' dungeons, even if the game flirted too hard with staying too 'classic'.  I always though the selling point for WW was the exploration.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6321 on: November 13, 2013, 06:15:05 PM »

I liked the WW dungeons, I just meant there weren't a whole lot of them in the game.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6322 on: November 13, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »

I liked the WW dungeons, I just meant there weren't a whole lot of them in the game.

The fact the Forsaken Fortress counts as part of the "Zelda 8 +/- 1" makes me sad.  It's boring as hell.

I wanna get Wind Waker KD* because I want a chance to really take it in again.  I don't remember much about the dungeons other than I hated dealing with Medli and the fucking hand enemies that catch you up.  They're mean.

On that note, would RPGFan ever do Retro Reviews?  I think a second play is important sometimes to see what changes your mind on things.

EDIT: Aw Piss.  I meant HD.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6323 on: November 13, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »

My big beef with WW's dungeons (lack of them aside), was the fact that they all felt really big and really empty. Like room, key, room, key, room, key, a hidden alcove for one of those hidden statues, room, key, boss. And ascetically speaking, I only recall Dragon Roost Island and the Tower of the Gods as having interesting moments to them (maybe Ganon's Tower if you count the road between it and Hyrule Castle). Whereas I remember the Stone Tower from MM because you literally turned the dungeon on its head, or SS's Ancient Cistern because of the whole life & death/Buddhist theme to it.

Also Ganon's Tower counting as a dungeon was almost as lame as Skyward Sword's final dungeon.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6324 on: November 13, 2013, 08:24:29 PM »

My big beef with WW's dungeons (lack of them aside), was the fact that they all felt really big and really empty. Like room, key, room, key, room, key, a hidden alcove for one of those hidden statues, room, key, boss. And ascetically speaking, I only recall Dragon Roost Island and the Tower of the Gods as having interesting moments to them (maybe Ganon's Tower if you count the road between it and Hyrule Castle). Whereas I remember the Stone Tower from MM because you literally turned the dungeon on its head, or SS's Ancient Cistern because of the whole life & death/Buddhist theme to it.

Also Ganon's Tower counting as a dungeon was almost as lame as Skyward Sword's final dungeon.

Eugh, I hated Skyward Sword's last "dungeon".  I can't tell what I like less; the shorter final dungeon (surprisingly that's often), or a copy/paste one with an obnoxious maze design that solidified how often you have to re-tread old areas in that game.

I thought Twilight Princess did their final dungeon well; you barely see much of Hyrule Castle in many of the games so it was cool to make it a proper battle ground that was something between being both eerie and familiar.

I wouldn't mind Hyrule Castle as a "safe" place for once too... It's always been under some shitty influence and you can't seem to tread it without some asshole trying to kill you.  The town's are fine, but shit turns bad as soon as you hit up the castle for whatever reason.

I actually really think you hit spot-on with the comment that WW's dungeons are often "big rooms".  From what I remember, they were kinda like that...  Again though, that sort of reinforces how the exploration was one of the bigger selling points.

And as much as I hated Skyward Sword, Ancient Cistern is probably in my Top 5 Zelda Dungeons.  The execution, motifs, the cleverly worked-in Buddhist story (in Hyrule no less), and the badass boss fight (beating Koloktos just...felt...GOOD) were just a fine combination of well thought-out elements.

It becomes interesting to point out there definitely is a tier in what "good" and "bad" dungeons are.  I definitely think the series needs to shoot at Fire-based temples in a new way... The Goron Mines were nice and different but took a while to navigate.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6325 on: November 14, 2013, 12:50:56 AM »

I wouldn't mind Hyrule Castle as a "safe" place for once too... It's always been under some shitty influence and you can't seem to tread it without some asshole trying to kill you.  The town's are fine, but shit turns bad as soon as you hit up the castle for whatever reason.

To be fair, it's basically the good guy's stronghold and usually the ground zero for when shit goes down. Kinda like how you know shit just got real in a Godzilla movie when the Tokyo Tower gets destroyed.

That said, the castle is more or less left alone in Spirit Tracks. Also Zelda 2, but it's not so much a castle as it is a fancy room with a chick sleeping in the middle of it (at least it had a moat).

As for Fire-dungeons, they need one to show up later rather than earlier so that they can be as menacing as fire dungeons need to be (like Super Metroid's Lower Norfair menacing). Skyward Sword actually got fairly close on that one but needed it to not be the second fire based dungeon in the game (and the boss to not be Grigham again).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6326 on: November 14, 2013, 01:11:16 AM »

Up to like 18 stars in SMG.

Still can't beat level 3 in Soldier Blade for some reason. FFS I did it before.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6327 on: November 14, 2013, 08:59:53 PM »

Still can't beat level 3 in Soldier Blade for some reason. FFS I did it before.

I can't beat that level, either. I dunno why, it just kinda gets tricky in some places, especially if you continue.

EDIT: Oh right, games! Um...I played the Farcry 3: Blood Dragon demo. And it was good. But I can't get it. Because I am broke. Why did I play it then, you ask? Because I must hunger, hunger for that game. For hunger will cause pain, pain which will charge the brain, and hopefully allow me to count my money before playing a game I cannot own next time.

...now excuse me while I go take my meds.

Anyways, I also played the first level of Killzone 2. Which is the same level as the demo I played twice already, but with the added fun of a crappy tank section that could go fuck itself. Guess I should go try out the next mission before I decide to go play Borderlands instead.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:27:17 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6328 on: November 14, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »

Mars Matrix - Can't beat level 2. Gggg. I have enough points t buy some extra lives from the score shop, though.

SMG - Up to 21 stars.

Also I sort of want to get Super Star Soldier on the VC but then it's like... again, weird pricing scheme would result in wasted money etc maybe I should've held out and got a WiiU, oh welp.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6329 on: November 14, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »

I played some Henry Hatsworth for the first time in months yesterday and finally beat the level I couldn't get past.

It cost me 15 bloody lives though :/

Yay for perseverance.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: