Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 09:43:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331521 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 411801 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6585 on: December 26, 2013, 01:02:51 PM »

Beyond: Two Souls is bizarre, but very interesting so far. I'm not sure how I feel about how it jumps around to the different stages of her life so frequently. I like seeing all this stuff, but as soon as you get invested, they pull you away. I assume it will all come together in the end somehow.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6586 on: December 26, 2013, 02:44:43 PM »

Tried playing Dark Souls again. Apparently I'd gotten cursed last time by inadvertently wandering into the wrong place, which contains I guess one of the few enemies that can curse you? I guess I could've avoided this by equipping curse-resisting armor (if I had any?) ahead of time although I don't think anything indicated that the frog-enemies there actually could curse you.

Anyway, my immediate idea is to buy something to remove curse -- except that costs 6000 souls and I have like 200.

I then google around and find out that being cursed means you can hit the ghosts in New Londo Ruins, and that some guy in that area can remove curse for free. Okay.

Is this really explained in the game anywhere, outside of the description for the Transient Curse item?

Anyway, then I got killed because four ghosts attacked me through the floor.

I simultaneously feel like this game requires a more intimate knowledge of its mechanics than I can muster, and that it simultaneously requires experimentation but punishes you for experimenting.

--- edit ---

Oh I played some Jazz Jackrabbit 2 as well and for the most part If eel like it holds up as well as I remember, except for:

A) The controls seem less precise -- I'm having a hard time double jumping or doing ear helicopters -- but I think this might be my system. Seems to impact certain key configs more than others.
B) I managed to get Spaz stuck in some of the level geometry.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:17:02 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6587 on: December 26, 2013, 05:08:23 PM »

Pteropus in Tales of Vesperia was freaking annoying as hell...Deep breath...damn that battle pissed me off

Everything's Eventual
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6588 on: December 26, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »

Suikoden 2: Something undead is brewing near tinto.... things are getting INTENSE!!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6589 on: December 26, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »

Suikoden 2: Something undead is brewing near tinto.... things are getting INTENSE!!

Klyde, I have trouble with retro gaming unless it's a replay.  I have trouble getting into "old stuff".  The way you're taking on SuikoII is wonderful though. 

Code:
(I made a typo on "wonderful" and typed "wonderfuk".... I think it works too)

Playing Xenoblade the last week!

Scattered thoughts:

= Fucking quests never end...  I'm kind of avoiding all "no name" quests and just take on the ones worth Town Affinity
= Requirements for the "Advance-level" spell books sucks serious ass.
= I like a lot of the character's diversity in battle.
= Sword Valley was an absolute mess to get through.
= This game is *ACTUALLY* almost perfect.  Despite the scale and amount of things to do, it is SO GOOD at keeping track of things or letting you change time or quick-travel to places that could have otherwise made this game absolute garbage to drudge through.
= Only major complaint is character noses look weird, and (of all things) peculiar loading times for the UI....despite gargantuan overworlds.
= Graphically: Holy Fuck.  I'm shocked it's a Wii game.
= I love how "female" mechon have breasts.  ( o )( o )  Because [????]

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6590 on: December 26, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »

Since I got the Hatsune Miku Project Diva X OST and been listening to it in my car, I've been revisiting the game.  So much fun. 

My five favorite songs are probably:

1) Hm? Ah, yes
2) World's End Dance Hall
3) The Kagamine twins one with shamisen vs. guitar.  It's something something Flower Fight
4) Tokyo Teddy Bear
5) Time Machine

Kagamine Rin is fast becoming my favorite vocaloid.  I like her voice and the songs she sings are consistently good. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6591 on: December 26, 2013, 10:57:13 PM »

I also really love the voice acting in Xenoblade. And I can assure you that it's not just because everyone has a smexy accent, 'cause so did everyone in DQVIII and I like the VA in Xenoblade infinitely more.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6592 on: December 27, 2013, 12:44:29 AM »

I also really love the voice acting in Xenoblade. And I can assure you that it's not just because everyone has a smexy accent, 'cause so did everyone in DQVIII and I like the VA in Xenoblade infinitely more.
Except for the horribly repetitive battle voices, which are a major game turn off for me. I wish there was an option to turn them off.
Beyond: Two Souls - I just played through the Condenser chapter. That was awesomely intense stuff! If the game keeps up like this, I'll be VERY happy. Pretty great overall so far.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6593 on: December 27, 2013, 02:16:50 AM »

100%.  You kinda see this "recycling" with videogame voice actors, so it's really refreshing not hearing from the typical 'Amurican' talent pool.  I imagine a really annoying voice for an American-ized Shulk and Fiora for some reason.   A weird habit still kicks in when there aren't any voiceovers (usually when chatting with peeps during a Quest): I hear a North American accent in my head!  
Anyways, the talents used have been quite pleasing nonetheless.  I'd love it if we got more Brit-English VAs.

More observations:
= I love how this game keeps on surprising me visually.  Any time of day is phenomenal to just look around in.  
= The Heart-to-Heart and affinity system is a bit "busted up".  I don't think it's efficient at all and generally takes a bit too long to pursue better character relations.  I'm also sad because a lot of the "bad choices" in H2H's are really funny...but they're the "bad" choice! :(   I'd love the chance to tell a character they're fucking weird without any consequence to my relationship with them!
= I oddly find Nopon cute even if the way they talk is annoying................... their village is a goddamn nightmare to navigate though.
= Valak Mountain also sucks.  The nighttime effect, although pretty, does little to remind me that it's gigantic and boring.
=  Sorry RPGFan, but I think after this and Wii U's elusive "X" title.... I don't think I can handle any more RPGs of this "scale" anymore.
= While some of the main party designs are kinda 'iffy' with me, I've loved a lot of the main NPCs.  I've already commented on him, but Dickson looks awesome!

Mechonis area spoilz
Code:
I've loved the hell out of this plot so far.  I'm at the Hidden Village, and I've loved how the game plays with us, changing expectations of who friend and foe is; the game spends more than half of its plot telling you to fight machines only to find a village of "good machines".  Simple, but effective.  Good job, plot!

...Also Fiora totally got a boob job in her new mechonis body.  I feel like the camera in cutscenes shows it off for fun too.  
Anybody else think about what must have gone under "behind the scenes" to her?  Biologically, she's just a head now.  What the hell happened to the rest of her body and how was it "switched out"??? :S   EWwwwwwwww

Except for the horribly repetitive battle voices, which are a major game turn off for me. I wish there was an option to turn them off.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:55:15 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6594 on: December 27, 2013, 08:15:31 AM »

Got through the third boss in Pandora's Tower. Not sure why I was able to beat it the time I did. But whatever, all the other bosses have been fairly easy so far.

Yep, C-minuses.  I'll admit, the loading screens drawn by all those guest artists bumped up my graphics score a bit.  Those actually were nice. 
Honestly I found most of those to be ugly (like the cut scene art) with only one or two exceptions.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6595 on: December 27, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »

I imagine a really annoying voice for an American-ized Shulk and Fiora for some reason.

Shulk looks like a typical Sam Riegel character, which wouldn't be too bad, I guess... (except for the fact that Sam Riegel is in nearly every game I played the past year <_<)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6596 on: December 27, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »

Mechonis area spoilz
Code:
I've loved the hell out of this plot so far.  I'm at the Hidden Village, and I've loved how the game plays with us, changing expectations of who friend and foe is; the game spends more than half of its plot telling you to fight machines only to find a village of "good machines".  Simple, but effective.  Good job, plot!

...Also Fiora totally got a boob job in her new mechonis body.  I feel like the camera in cutscenes shows it off for fun too.  
Anybody else think about what must have gone under "behind the scenes" to her?  Biologically, she's just a head now.  What the hell happened to the rest of her body and how was it "switched out"??? :S   EWwwwwwwww

Not helping matters is the fact that her best equipment increases the effect. Unfortunately, if you're really hell bent on avoiding the glorified swimsuit look, then you'll have to settle for the Speed IV torso piece instead of the Speed V. Also get cracking on mastering her first hidden skill set so that you can turn Seven into a walking flurry of death and destruction (and don't forget the Spike Defense and Dunban's Spike Damage reduction skill so she doesn't explode the moment she touches a Spiked enemy).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6597 on: December 27, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »

Bravely Default.

The game is totally awesome. I am up to chapter 3 and having loads of fun with it. The voice acting is pretty good with the exception of Agnès. Her voice acting isn't really bad but I get the same feeling with her as I did with Yuna's voice from FFX. I  like how most bosses have some development. The game is also pretty depressing so far.  Also D's Journal has me thinking crazy things that will happen in the plot later on. Some make sense while others are way out there.

Code:
Pretty sure that the Journal belongs to Alternis Dim. There are drawings of himself scattered throughout. Also, I don't think the journal predicts the future but rather comes from it. Makes me think that Ringabel is actually a future version of Alternis. Especially as Ringabel is not mentioned in the journal at all. Then I start expanding on it with crazier thoughts like the Sage and even Edea's father are also future D's.

Also thinking that the Vestal of Earth is going to be evil or at least on the other side. They keep mentioning how only a Vestal can remove another Vestal's barrier on the crystal and it is making me suspicious. Although they would not really need another Vestal if they had one themselves. Could be the Earth crystal already has a barrier and they need someone to remove it. Heck, I think half the cast will turn into villains at one stage or another. Airy the Cryst fairy, the Matriarch and the Sage all have me suspicious. Course, I am  a horrible judge of xharacter so probably wrong on all fronts.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6598 on: December 27, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »

I found out that a certain someone finally finished translating Ys V, so I went and played that for an hour or so. So far it's eeeeeeeeh, okay. It's not the worst Ys game - that title goes to Ys 3 - but it's slower than the rest of the series, and while having an attack button, a block button, and jump button are nice, the combat is still pretty one-note so far, and probably will be until I get more magic. Unless I'm wrong, all you every use for your basic attack is your sword, and magic is the only bit of complexity you get. In the end it feels like Secret of Mana or Zelda, minus the variety. It's still fun, but I doubt it'll win me over anytime soon.

Also:

XCOM: Enemy Within - Still doing tutorials after a couple of hours, I kinda need it, though, this is a very complicated game.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6599 on: December 27, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »

I found out that a certain someone finally finished translating Ys V, so I went and played that for an hour or so. So far it's eeeeeeeeh, okay. It's not the worst Ys game - that title goes to Ys 3 - but it's slower than the rest of the series, and while having an attack button, a block button, and jump button are nice, the combat is still pretty one-note so far, and probably will be until I get more magic. Unless I'm wrong, all you every use for your basic attack is your sword, and magic is the only bit of complexity you get. In the end it feels like Secret of Mana or Zelda, minus the variety. It's still fun, but I doubt it'll win me over anytime soon.

Also:

XCOM: Enemy Within - Still doing tutorials after a couple of hours, I kinda need it, though, this is a very complicated game.

Oh yeah, I knew I was forgetting to mention something....

Anyways, picked up Devil Survivor 1 Overclocked and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door today, so I'll probably start in on those.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: