Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 07:45:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331403 Posts in 13572 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 411170 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6630 on: January 01, 2014, 07:24:20 PM »

Well I decided to check out Beyond Two Souls and ending up beating it in almost one sitting.  It was a good game and I liked it.  I just didn't care for the jumps in the timeline.  I'm not sure what David Cage was going for there.  Didn't care for Ryan.  (I struggle with forgiveness.)   I still like Heavy Rain better.  I think it appealed to the mystery lover in me more than Beyond did.  The controls are improved though.
Almost one sitting?! I started it the day after Christmas, and have played it pretty steadily since then. Probably 12-14 hrs so far. I'm in the chapter where you go to Kazakhstan(or whatever) looking for their condenser thingy. I feel like I'm pretty close to the end. I'm actually pretty happy with how long it is.
The mission where I'm going after salaam, or whoever, was not my favorite. The hand to hand controls in this game drive me crazy! I never know which way to push the button. The camera was very annoying here as well.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6631 on: January 01, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »

Wow people sure don't like Sharla.  I actually played as her for most of the game.  I thought she did a better job keeping people alive when I was controlling her.

Grim I was sick in bed so I got to play most of the day.  I also had trouble discerning which direction to push during the slow-mo's.  if you switch it to I" never play video games" it shows you the direction to push.  Oh, yes you are close to the end.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6632 on: January 01, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »

Wow people sure don't like Sharla.  I actually played as her for most of the game.  I thought she did a better job keeping people alive when I was controlling her.

Grim I was sick in bed so I got to play most of the day.  I also had trouble discerning which direction to push during the slow-mo's.  if you switch it to I" never play video games" it shows you the direction to push.  Oh, yes you are close to the end.
I AM playing in that mode. No, they don't show any arrows. Only in the beginning scenes.
Sorry to hear you're feeling Ill.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6633 on: January 01, 2014, 10:10:55 PM »

On the contrary!  She's helping me grind against monsters I shouldn't be fighting against!  Riki is stealing extra EXP/AP for me. :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6634 on: January 01, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »

Sharla's biggest issues....are her breasts. *ker-bitchslapped*

Ehem. Sharla's biggest problem is the fact that she really only has one role to play unlike everybody else in that she's a support bot first and foremost (anti-air and early ether based damage seem to be her other uses, both of which aren't really game changing). Unfortunately, this means that she's not really that good at contributing to combat which means that what she's really accomplishing is dragging out fights. Its not really so bad at first since Shulk and eventually Melia and Riki are the only other characters who gain skills that can heal others and theirs consist of one option that doesn't do a lot at first. But then things like skills that enable healing after performing chain attacks or after scoring critical hits, or gems that heal when using arts or auras start to show up, and given how fast attacking or pulling out arts can be once they've been upgraded a fair amount, a lot of healing can be done automatically, and by then the aforementioned alternatives can cover the spread by themselves (not to mention that their healing art has probably been powered up by leveling and through skills). And then there's the fact that healing arts generate a ton of aggro (and though I was able to turn my endgame Sharla into a bigger physical tank than Reyn, its not a very common or practical solution), and the fact that other characters are just better at handling aggro.

But what's really damning to her is her difficulty in participating in a chain attack. She's the only character who can't use her talent art as a wildcard in raising/maintaining combos and her pallet is going to be dominated by blue arts with only the one red art (Headshot) which other characters generally get only one or two blue arts and several red arts (Melia's the only exception to this since her summons are blue but her talent art alone more than makes up for it). The big thing about chain attacks is that with the max combo multiplier you will get amazing damage out of your arts, i.e. you can turn Melia's Railgun into a Wave Motion Gun, any of Riki's numerous DOTs into corrosive acid towards even the most inflated HP bars (due to the wonky way DOTs apply the combo multiplier), or Seven's storm of swords into a buzzsaw of doom (not that the help is needed), among other things, but the most Sharla could do is soup up her Headshot or Thunder Bullet arts or heal thousands of HP to the entire party despite the cap being 9999 HP (which most aren't going to hit without gem/skill support).

The tl;dr is that she's useful early on when you can't pull off all of these shenanigans but eventually gems, skills, and chain attacks will tank the use of her contributions. Of course most of this doesn't really come up much since you'll generally be overleveled but UMs and the postgame will probably want to see her warming the bench.

As for Shulk, he really depends on the player and how well his Monado arts have been upgraded. Early on you're stuck with him and probably regulated him to AI use (which handles him fairly well). Then he's usually the first to get benched to make way for the dapper hero himself who easily outshines his predecessors due to his high agility and his arts being easy auras and simple combos. And he kinda starts falling behind until the end of the Eyrth Sea region where he finally gets access to three weapon gem slots and he no longer has to worry about the one or two fights where he's nigh onto useless in due to the Monado's friendly fire option being turned off. Then you hit Sword Valley and suddenly Shulk gets to have a field day while everybody else slowly converts to effective anti-mechon weaponry. By the time you leave mechon country Shulk should have all the AP needed to make his Monado arts really effective. His big niche outside of always anti-mechon is his ability to negate or mitigate incoming attacks and is the best guy to have on hand when dealing with vision tags, and his other niche being his positioning based arts.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6635 on: January 02, 2014, 01:06:32 AM »

Dang Aeolus.  Your game knowledge always astounds me.  How you remember all that is amazing.  I have trouble remembering what I did a minute ago. 

You are right about Sharla breaking chains.  It was just so easy to let my two other party members do all the work while I healed and did head shots/thunder bullets.  I rotated characters out to raise affinity.   Though, the main characters I used with Sharla were Shulk, Dunban and Reyn. Actually, Dunban is pretty fun to control.  I found the AI to be pretty good overall, not like Star Ocean where they stand still.

Oh yeah, her wardrobe is pretty bad.

Grim -  Xenoblade is long, but it is so worth it.  Don't let the length stop you from experiencing it.

In my gaming journal, I gave up my 3ds.  It was hard to let go of my nightly picross, but my bf needed to play Zelda.  So far he is having a lot of fun and goes around work humming the theme song.  It's so cute.

Gave up on DQIX.  I find I have trouble finishing DQ games.  I think I tend to lose interest when I have to grind. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:20:02 AM by CluelessWonder » Logged

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6636 on: January 02, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »

I've mostly been playing Project Diva F, primarily because I've been on a streak of accomplishing goals in that game. First I managed to clear all the songs on Hard Mode, I'm only 3 songs away from getting all Perfects in Easy Mode, and I'm only 150,000 Diva Points away from unlocking every module.

I've also found a really fun (and addictive, but aren't they all?) iOS game called Spirit Stones. It's a little like the Puzzles & Dragons formula in that it's a TCG combined with a Match-3 Puzzle RPG, but it uses a different match-3 game that I find a little more interesting and it doesn't take a frustratingly long time to progress.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6637 on: January 02, 2014, 06:12:22 PM »

Well three days of replaying and comparing segments of Vesperia's beginning and FFXIII-2 has led me to the conclusion that while I will indeed enjoy Vesperia more, I can't do it without getting through XIII-2.

I just had in my head for too long that I was gonna play it before XIII-3 came out. My madness has compelled me to see it through.

I feel like after the XIII trilogy I can move onto my X-box library with a clear head. Right now my head is filled with thoughts of time paradoxes, false gods and getting to dress up hollow empty heroes that look real pretty.

EDIT: I do want to reiterate my thanks to this community for getting me to choose Vesperia as my first X-box title, which was a whole seperate issue I was having I feel very resolved about now. To those ends I am grateful.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:14:29 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6638 on: January 02, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »

Since I got the Hatsune Miku Project Diva X OST and been listening to it in my car, I've been revisiting the game.  So much fun.  

My five favorite songs are probably:

1) Hm? Ah, yes
2) World's End Dance Hall
3) The Kagamine twins one with shamisen vs. guitar.  It's something something Flower Fight
4) Tokyo Teddy Bear
5) Time Machine

Kagamine Rin is fast becoming my favorite vocaloid.  I like her voice and the songs she sings are consistently good.  

I might have to add Senbonzakura and MMORPG Addict's Theme among my favorites.  And anything Rin or twins is good.  Len solo isn't as strong as Rin solo.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:15:39 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6639 on: January 02, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »

I've heard quite a few good Len songs, but I don't know what's on the game.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6640 on: January 02, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »

Klyde, thus admitted my Tales game experiences are nowhere near as extensive as many here, but Vesperia is quickly becoming my favorite and I m currently 42 hours in, no idea how far that is as I have refused to look at any walkthroughs!

Everything's Eventual
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6641 on: January 02, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »

I've heard quite a few good Len songs, but I don't know what's on the game.

Len's songs are good.  Just not as good as Rin's or their duets.  

The worst songs in the game are the Kaito songs.  The Meiko songs are weak too; they're catchy and all, but not the most creative.  The Megurine Luka ones are kinda weak too.  Pity, because she's a good vocaloid but her better songs were not selected.  Even though Miku songs populate the majority of my favorites, she has some less strong tracks.  In general,  Rin has the consistently best songs.  Every Rin song is good.  

For Luka, they needed more stuff like this.  Or this, or this.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:35:08 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6642 on: January 02, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »

Klyde, thus admitted my Tales game experiences are nowhere near as extensive as many here, but Vesperia is quickly becoming my favorite and I m currently 42 hours in, no idea how far that is as I have refused to look at any walkthroughs!

I freakin' love tales man. And I KNOW my vesperia experience is going to be awesome. Which is precisely why i need to do xiii-2/xiii-3 now before I entertain Tales. I know myself, and my curiosity about the XIII-Trilogy with how invested I am in the story (or lack thereof) will drastically handicap my ability to enjoy Tales. I actually went so far as to watch an 8 hour movie and read a great deal of literature to re-familiarize myself with everything that I had forgotten or confused me in the first place (played through XIII-1 upon release, haven't looked at it since).... On that note alone, not seeing it through at this point would really be shooting myself in the foot so to speak.

I just had this problem with Suikoden 2. Awesome game. But I totally could have enjoyed it more without my mind wandering to XIII-2 so much.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6643 on: January 02, 2014, 10:48:01 PM »

Bought Rayman Origins for the family. Everyone likes it and enjoying it's goofiness. :)

Halfway done with it and on my way with finishing of Resonance of Fate (took a small break)

Picked Up Arkham Asylum not too long ago and beat it several days later. Fun game! Looking for to Arkham City when I order it later on on the month (maybe?).

Can't wait to play A Link Between Words (my fiancee got this for me for Christmas).

Also, Ephemeral Phantasia is very entertaining...why hadn't I given this game a chance before?

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6644 on: January 02, 2014, 11:40:41 PM »

Also, Ephemeral Phantasia is very entertaining...why hadn't I given this game a chance before?

My wonky PS2 launch RPG of choice is Eternal Ring :T

Speaking of which.

Dark Souls - Got uncursed. Also I think the new version of dsfix improves my framerate? If I set the target FPS to 60 I definitely drop through floors and stuff. Ghosts are still bullshit but at least I can upgrade my anti-ghost sword.

Race the Sun - I think I like this. I have reservations about liking it -- it does feel sort of cheap (as in cheaply made) in some ways -- but it really DOES feel like Noctis meets Outrun which is what I wanted?

That Weird Fingerbang Simulator By The Company That Made That Weird Deer MMO - Yes.

Kokuga - Able to beat level A. I think I might briefly play with the hard modes to see what happens.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: