Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:02:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341288 Posts in 13948 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 456523 times)
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6855 on: January 19, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »

I never made it past disc 3 of FF8. It got way too hard, and I was playing it all wrong. I suck.

I'm at the end of my second playthrough of 999, and it just keeps going! I figured it would just end quickly, but last night I went through an hour of text, and I had to save and stop. WTF? I was told the TRUE ending was long, but I wasn't expecting the safe ending to be long as well. Axe was rather quick. I'll knock it out later. Hopefully.

It's longer than the bad endings because you find out a lot of stuff.

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6856 on: January 19, 2014, 03:10:36 PM »

This is what I'm dealing with: Rayman Origins, 9th treasure chest stage.  This is the hardest stage I've unlocked. 

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6857 on: January 19, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »

Oh. Beat the gaping dragon in Dark Souls. Definitely the easiest boss in the game so far. I still feel like the camera has issues, though. I got trampled a bunch because my viewpoint was embedded in the dragon's ribcage so I was just seeing a jolly assortment of, uh, bones and mesh clipping.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6858 on: January 19, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »

I thought that the battle system of Xenosaga II was quite good as in that it did require planning your moves ahead. However that just  went overboard way too easily, since you might need to use 10 turns just preparing a single attack against a mob. Not even a boss, but a normal encounter. And that is with using the system correctly, there is no way around it. There is no way you can execute a damaging combo without stock, boost and maybe even a buff or two. You may need to switch out a party member too, since not everyone can do certain breaking attacs. The mech battles were a bit simpler, thankfully.

As for FF VIII, I too am rather surprised that there were people who didn't get the junction system. I mean, whether it is a viable idea or not doesn't really matter, but it certainly couldn't be that hard to understand. You socket magic in the empty space next to your stats and the stat gets a boost. The stats you can junction depend on if the GFs your character have equipped have the skill for it. There are systems which require a math degree to understand them, but certainly this is not one of them.

Anyway, I finally beat Hyperdimension Neptunia's true final boss. This was the first time I had to check out my equips in the entire game and after a few failures, I just set the difficulty on hard and beat it in three turns. That's right, the boss is impossible on easy or normal, but on hard it was total cheese, because this system works in some really alien ways. Easy should mean longer battles but safe damage, but on hard you get huge damage boosts yourself. It's just that this boss will oneshot your party on easy anyway, so might just as well play glass cannon style. What a weird game.

Now after some succesful backlog clearing, I think I'm going to start that damn Suikoden 3 at last.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6859 on: January 19, 2014, 05:10:02 PM »

I played Xenosaga I
I youtubed Xenosaga II
I youtubed Xenosaga III

I regret nothing.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6860 on: January 19, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »

I played Xenosaga I
I youtubed Xenosaga II
I youtubed Xenosaga III

I regret nothing.

Xenosaga III has an amazing battle system, probably the best turn based battle system I have ever played. And amazing music and amazing mech battles. Big mistake imo. One of the best rpg's ever made.
Just listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDAd6W4CkJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXGIvNHhY7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv7c0si2AEo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5-er32PIG0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:34:39 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6861 on: January 19, 2014, 11:32:42 PM »

I never made it past disc 3 of FF8. It got way too hard, and I was playing it all wrong. I suck.

Did you get stuck fighting that stupid Ruby Dragon as Laguna?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6862 on: January 20, 2014, 09:15:30 AM »

It's been way too long, so I don't remember. I think maybe it was around Esthar(sp?). I was getting my ass kicked by random monsters. I had stupidly just spammed GFs up til then, and spent no time on drawing tons of spells and such. I learned after I quit what I did wrong, but never went back. No biggie.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6863 on: January 20, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »

It's been way too long, so I don't remember. I think maybe it was around Esthar(sp?). I was getting my ass kicked by random monsters. I had stupidly just spammed GFs up til then, and spent no time on drawing tons of spells and such. I learned after I quit what I did wrong, but never went back. No biggie.

Grim, drawing spells is actually /really/ inefficient and almost 100% unnecessary (you only really need draw to get GFs from certain bosses). If you just use various GF skills to convert all of the item drops/extra Triple Triad cards you have into magic, you're going to have more than enough of everything you need, except for maybe aura.

Also by the time you hit Esthar you could have, uh, either Odin or Gilgamesh, who has like a 50%ish chance of immediately winning a random battle at the start anyway.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:37:46 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6864 on: January 20, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »

Grim, drawing spells is actually /really/ inefficient and almost 100% unnecessary (you only really need draw to get GFs from certain bosses). If you just use various GF skills to convert all of the item drops/extra Triple Triad cards you have into magic, you're going to have more than enough of everything you need, except for maybe aura.

Actually you can get most of the magic you need for the rest of the game during disc 1 by just farming a few key enemies -- the fish RIGHT outside of Balamb come to mind, because they drop fins that you can convert into Water that boosts Strength a lot for some reason.

Also by the time you hit Esthar you could have, uh, either Odin or Gilgamesh, who has like a 50%ish chance of immediately winning a random battle at the start anyway.

And depending on where you are in Esthar, you might already have the Ragnarok which means you don't even have to put up with the game's shit anymore. Just strap on Enc-None and Draw, and fly on over to the two islands furthest to the east and west on the world map for an unlimited (if tediously so) supply of top tier spells.

And hell, even if you aren't there yet, just refine a few cards for anything you might want/need. You'll have a ton of chaff to blow through if you ever bothered with that sidequest (and even if you didn't, just go back to Balmb Garden and find some chump to game some cards off of then work your way up from there).

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6865 on: January 20, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »

You could also use the GF enemy->card ability to get a bunch of cards if you want to go that route. Actually doing this throughout the course of the game is apparently a really viable strategy because it keeps your level low and gets you a bunch of cards that you can turn into magic, because FFVIII makes sense.

o/` I do not dream o/`

mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6866 on: January 20, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »

Easily my favorite part of FF VIII. I wish there was an option to switch the theme to play as the standard boss music throughout the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8m5J28Chio

I also liked modifying my Bahamut card at the end for 100 Megalixirs, because I'm just hardcore like that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:33:59 AM by mecharobot » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6867 on: January 20, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »

Thanks guys, but I'm not going to play it anymore. My PSX is stored away somewhere, and even if it wasn't, no way would I bother at this point. You've got to put your behind in the past, as they say.
;-)

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6868 on: January 20, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »

Thanks guys, but I'm not going to play it anymore. My PSX is stored away somewhere, and even if it wasn't, no way would I bother at this point. You've got to put your behind in the past, as they say.
;-)

You're really not missing much. You'd basically seen the entire game by that point.

Blue Wish Resurrection - This left me rather nonplussed the first time I tried it but I got up to level 4 last night and was really enjoying myself.

Danmaku Unlimited 2 - Seems nice but the demo was hard to get a solid impression from. Might pick this up though.

Ether Vapor Sequel Thingy - Forgot what this was called. Not interested -- way too visually confusing.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:56:59 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6869 on: January 20, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »

You could also use the GF enemy->card ability to get a bunch of cards if you want to go that route. Actually doing this throughout the course of the game is apparently a really viable strategy because it keeps your level low and gets you a bunch of cards that you can turn into magic, because FFVIII makes sense.

Yeah, but as you said, unless he was doing this from the start he's probably not going to benefit from that much (unless he's looking for something in particular, then its probably easier just to find the actual monster).

And like the Fish Fins mentioned earlier, Tents with Life Ref is another viable + lucrative source of midgame spells as they are dirt cheap and common as fuck.

But either way, if you don't want to bother, that's fine as well.

Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: