Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 09:54:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327947 Posts in 13430 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 391060 times)
Reta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6990 on: February 07, 2014, 01:39:59 AM »

I'd love to hear your impressions when you do finish. I'll probably start 3rd pretty soon.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6991 on: February 07, 2014, 04:01:23 AM »

Bought Ys I & II Chronicles on Steam during the holiday sale, just started playing it today. Already super stuck on the first boss. Thinking I just have to walk back to Minea and get some better equipment.

The thing with these games are that you must have a certain level of attack or you will do next to no damage. No strategy will help you. Grinding for exp is also not that great when your level caps at like 10. And man those dungeons are such repetitive mazes. Still I liked these games, mainly due to that I think Ys Origin and Chronicles together make for a rather charming story. Also great that they allowed the change to retro art and especially the option to switch to old music. I think Chronicles versions were quite alright, but you just can't beat that midi feel.

I'm still playing SRW Original Generation myself, at episode 35. I'm liking it quite a bit, but I do feel the game has slowed down considerably. Must be all the units and obsessive customization I'm doing. It could also be that I've played a few dozen hours of Skyrim, which is a ton of fun, though I do feel like I'm playing just a graphic mod of Oblivion. This game has hardly made any meaningful improvements.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6992 on: February 07, 2014, 08:21:06 AM »

I got Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate during the sale. Wasn't sure if I would like it at first but having loads of fun with it. I was surprised as I didn't really like the Demo. Currently on 4 star villager quests and maining Sword and Shield.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6993 on: February 07, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »

So since I am a PS+ member I decided to check out DmC, Metro:  Last Light, Bioshock Infinite, and Brothers.  DmC is what I describe as MTV-ish.  It isn't a bad game, just not my cup of tea.   Metro is dark and hard as it requires aiming.  I didn't play BI, since I freaking spoiled myself looking up what ludonarrative dissonance is.  My bf seemed to like it though.

So basically I really posted to sing praises for Brothers.  It did something that games rarely do these days:  evoked feelings in me.  I am not talking feelings of fear or frustration which I experience a lot in gaming.  I am talking about the ones that linger with you long after you put the controller down.  It was such a beautiful game that I am going make my bf play start to finish.   It's for his own good.  :)

Thank you for all this. I was wondering if I should bother with Metro, but it sounds like not my thing.
I started up Brothers the other day. Interesting dynamic that I got used to surprisingly quick. I'm pretty sure I know where the story is headed, and I somehow doubt it's Happyville.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6994 on: February 07, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »

Well I am going to give Metro another shot.  I like to put enough time into it to say I gave it a chance.  When I first tried Borderlands I did not like it.  After giving it time, I ended up beating it and enjoying it.  Anyways, I will let you know how Metro goes. 

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6995 on: February 07, 2014, 12:17:12 PM »

I got Metro 2033 off a bundle and I liked it. Not to the point of playing through it more than once, but that single run entertained me.

I also like that I played the game killing EVERYTHING... E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G ! and the game gave me this badass achievement at the end:
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6996 on: February 07, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »

Ok so the difficulty isn't bad on easy.  The AI is dumbed down so you can get by with minimal skill.  It was being stealthy I had difficulty with at first.  It is obvious the game is a sequel as I feel like I don't know what the heck is going on.  I will play on to see what is happening.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6997 on: February 07, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »

I'm still playing SRW Original Generation myself, at episode 35. I'm liking it quite a bit, but I do feel the game has slowed down considerably. Must be all the units and obsessive customization I'm doing. It could also be that I've played a few dozen hours of Skyrim, which is a ton of fun, though I do feel like I'm playing just a graphic mod of Oblivion. This game has hardly made any meaningful improvements.

The thing about SRW games is that you've hit the part where all the key players have been introduced and the game is throwing a larger number of enemies at you whilst said enemies progressively become more bulletspongey. By the endgame enemy grunts will be as tougher than battleships. That said, if you're finding OG1 to have too many units, then you're going to be in trouble because OG1 has one of the smallest rosters in the series (to be fair though, most games either make weapon upgrades into a single unified attribute or not at all, but only the OG games really make you upgrade weapons individually).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:02:22 PM by Aeolus » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6998 on: February 07, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »

The final boss of FTL can go **** a duck.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6999 on: February 07, 2014, 11:01:20 PM »

Playing through ep.2 of The Wolf Among Us. I'm actually enjoying this more than The Walking Dead. Really engrossing.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7000 on: February 08, 2014, 01:01:01 AM »

Bravely Default

= Finally released somewhere that matters, North America (I'M KIDDING Dx)
= Love the music, it's actually almost perfect. 
= Agnes' voice is a miss, despite the fact Erin Fitzgerald is a great talents... it just doesn't match.  I love the rest of the choices, but the acting is kinda spotty... Ringabel's voice is obnoxious.
= I really don't like the chat zoom-ins... It'd be nicer if they could darken the background or something, the characters are kinda just floating over the scenery otherwise.
= I love the backgrounds.  I was really starting to miss the hand drawn backgrounds from classic PSX RPGs (SaGa Frontier II, Legend of Mana).  With the 3D effect it's like looking at one of those 3D puzzles:

= Battle is a perfect blend of new and old.  I'm really happy where that's concerned.
= Menu:
  • Love the music; thought I'd get tired of it, but it has a sweet and nostalgic sound (Prof. Layton titles do this very well and it sounds like something you'd hear from this)... why does it pick and choose when it plays though?
  • I don't like Airy fluttering around and glittering.  It livens the menu up at least; but she's got that "spunky" anime girl that gets tiring
= The CG cutscenes are kinda-really ugly
= On a side note: I loved reading the RPGfan review.  I definitely prefer critical reviews than overly-happy ones. 

=... I'm actually kinda sad I put down OoT, I was really in the heat of it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:30:36 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7001 on: February 08, 2014, 04:17:32 AM »

I was going to get BD but the review mentioned that grinding is inevitable and that the dungeons are boring.

Yeeeeeeeeeah that gives me red flagsup.

Gaming - GOSH GAMING SURE IS HARD TO DO WHEN YOU OSTENSIBLY HAVE SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER fuck snow ffffffffffffff
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:19:46 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7002 on: February 08, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »

I was going to get BD but the review mentioned that grinding is inevitable and that the dungeons are boring.

Yeeeeeeeeeah that gives me red flagsup.

Gaming - GOSH GAMING SURE IS HARD TO DO WHEN YOU OSTENSIBLY HAVE SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER fuck snow ffffffffffffff

I don't know. Right now I'm still blowing through everything that moves with only minimal grinding (like I may linger for an extra fight or two for one reason or another but nothing serious). It seems that the early game is more dependent on the quality of your weapon than anything else. Two well armed fighters and some low end Norende loot and you'll be flattening enemies in no time.

Of course, I'm only playing on Normal. Something tells me that I don't think I would want to put up with Hard Mode later on.

And while I'm on the subject, I currently have Tiz as a Freelancer still (mostly to pick up that anti-trap skill from the demo), Angés as a Monk (she had less experience as a Freelancer than Tiz), Ringabel as the resident White Mage, and Edea as the currently useless Black Mage (I have the spells, I just don't have a reason to use her beyond Treat spam).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7003 on: February 08, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »

Grinding isn't really an issue in Bravely Default outside of maybe a few side quests in the final chapter. I played on Hard mode and had no problems. Most bosses have a pattern and a good strategy really helps. The more jobs available to you, the more you can develop your party. Buffs and debuffs are also really useful.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7004 on: February 08, 2014, 09:36:57 AM »

Finally beat the boss in the Misty Caves in EO4.

Got to the third land and promptly got my ass kicked.

I hate snow. Real or virtual.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: