Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332964 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 419318 times)
Reta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7095 on: February 18, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »

Alright, I finished Sora no Kiseki the 3rd. The final dungeon, final boss and ending were just perfect. It's now my favorite in the series.

(Also, the music is amazing.)
Of course the music is amazing! It's Falcom! :D
I'm surprised you liked it better than SC; I've never heard anybody say that before. :O  Most people seem to think SC is the best game to ever be a game in the history of gaming.

Sora no Kiseki was the impetus that got me learning Japanese. Like four years later, I'm still not up to tackling a game with that much text :( .  Maybe in another four years I can find out for myself, because the odds of XSEED going beyond SC are evidently slim. And those Kisekis keep on comin'.

I didn't understand everything perfectly myself, but I did get most of it. As for why I liked it more than SC, well... There are a lot of reasons, but I'll go into detail if you want. I'm always happy to discuss this series with anyone who's interested.

Also: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJIcZeRobqU
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:34:25 PM by Reta » Logged
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7096 on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »

Dead Space 2:

I keep forgetting I have the ripper equipped, and then try to shoot things from a distance with the primary fire button. Makes for shooting those emergency decompression doors really interesting. Also, this is a bad habit I seem to not have kicked from DS1.
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7097 on: February 19, 2014, 06:21:12 AM »

Alright, I finished Sora no Kiseki the 3rd. The final dungeon, final boss and ending were just perfect. It's now my favorite in the series.

(Also, the music is amazing.)
Of course the music is amazing! It's Falcom! :D
I'm surprised you liked it better than SC; I've never heard anybody say that before. :O  Most people seem to think SC is the best game to ever be a game in the history of gaming.

Sora no Kiseki was the impetus that got me learning Japanese. Like four years later, I'm still not up to tackling a game with that much text :( .  Maybe in another four years I can find out for myself, because the odds of XSEED going beyond SC are evidently slim. And those Kisekis keep on comin'.

I didn't understand everything perfectly myself, but I did get most of it. As for why I liked it more than SC, well... There are a lot of reasons, but I'll go into detail if you want. I'm always happy to discuss this series with anyone who's interested.

Also: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJIcZeRobqU

I'm always eager to hear more about the series... so long as you don't give any specific story spoilers that will ruin it for me.
. . . I've already knowingly and willingly read a bunch of Ao and Zero no Kiseki spoilers just out of Falcomfanboystupidity.

Sure, I played it on easy mode, but it was still plenty challenging. Well, for me, anyway. I know some gamers have issues with playing games on easy. Like it hurts their pride or something. I gave up on that nonsense years ago. Easy mode allows me to actually enjoy games like The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. or any game, really.

This post makes me happy.
I play most games on Normal, because some challenge increases the tension and feeling of accomplishment, and some games cut stuff from easy, but it infuriates me that "normal" has no set standard. In some games it means "easy" and in others it means "bullshit".
Failing repeatedly is not fun.

But what likewise infuriates me is that the internet is overpopulated with "real gamerz" so devoid of real-life accomplishments they think a game isn't enjoyable unless it's played on the hardest difficulty, and to validate that meager accomplishment they insist that anybody who doesn't share in their skill level/masochism isn't a "true gamer". Whatever the hell that means.
I've been called a pussy for playing Ys games on Normal, and some jackass called me an "emo bitch" because I made a joking gripe about Demon's Souls (my PS3 would respawn if I threw it out the window, but leave the save data in a bloodstain in the street), because "real men don't bitch about the difficulty, they just man up and do it."
Far as I'm concerned, a "real" gamer is somebody who. . . plays games. Y'know, for enjoyment, not to show off.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7098 on: February 19, 2014, 06:59:58 AM »

I switched Last of Us to easy...and got through the sewers....and that my friends is all I care about! I play games for enjoyment, not so I can scare the cat and dog with my yelling, lol. Seriously though, that battle with 3-4 clcikers and tons of infected was silly on normal, I cannot imagine being masochistic enough to even attempt it on a higher level. And Ikusagami I agree, one man's normal is another's madness. I play games on normal until I simply cannot advance, then off to easy mode. I have no shame. I paid for the game, I will enjoy it (unless it sucks i.e. Dishonored, lol)

Everything's Eventual
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7099 on: February 19, 2014, 09:04:28 AM »

I personally play everything on normal and never switch to easy but that's just for my own personal "challenge" and to get somewhat rewarded for my efforts and strategies in a game. I might bump up the difficulty if I replay said game in the future(It will never happen with the Last of Us lol, normal mode of that game is the sweet difficulty spot for me) but I have no qualms whatsoever with other people playing however they want.. It's stupid to judge others based on that, especially since it's inconsequential to me and people are just trying to enjoy the game if they are getting stuck by the challenge.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7100 on: February 19, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »

A Link Between Worlds - I haven't played much yet, as I just arrived at the Eastern Palace, but It's pretty great so far. Looks fantastic, and has an awesome depth to it with the 3D on. I only keep it about halfway, though, or it gets too trippy.

My son got Mario 3D Land and played it a bit. Looks like a lot of fun, but not really my kind of thing. I just don't do Mario anymore. Heck, I never really did. Super Mario RPG being the rare exception.

He also played through Mario and Luigi Dream Team, which came with the system. That game looked a bit more my style. What REALLY shocked me was how great the music was. He kept running up to me and sharing the music. Very impressive.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7101 on: February 19, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »

And Ikusagami I agree, one man's normal is another's madness. I play games on normal until I simply cannot advance, then off to easy mode. I have no shame. I paid for the game, I will enjoy it (unless it sucks i.e. Dishonored, lol)

I personally play everything on normal and never switch to easy but that's just for my own personal "challenge" and to get somewhat rewarded for my efforts and strategies in a game. I might bump up the difficulty if I replay said game in the future(It will never happen with the Last of Us lol, normal mode of that game is the sweet difficulty spot for me) but I have no qualms whatsoever with other people playing however they want.. It's stupid to judge others based on that, especially since it's inconsequential to me and people are just trying to enjoy the game if they are getting stuck by the challenge.

I usually don't change the difficulty either, but that's just because I'm a stubborn old goat. The few times I have switched to easy, it was too easy, and thus boring. With the exception of Throne of Baal, which made me so angry even on the easiest setting, that I felt no sense of accomplishment at all, and am still pissed off two years later just thinking about it.

I do like Wizardry though, and I enjoyed Demon's Souls despite certain parts (Steve Irwin Simulator level/flaming boss), but it's more because I'm an idiot than any kind of "hard core" gamer. I have to be in the right mood to even start something I know is going to wake up my neighbors. :-X

The worst though is Mega Man. Every time I play one I vow to never touch the series again, and then a year later I start another and it makes me just as frustrated. I actually LIKE the games, but why the hell nobody has made a "normal mode" hack for them I have no idea.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7102 on: February 19, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »

And Ikusagami I agree, one man's normal is another's madness. I play games on normal until I simply cannot advance, then off to easy mode. I have no shame. I paid for the game, I will enjoy it (unless it sucks i.e. Dishonored, lol)

I usually don't change the difficulty either, but that's just because I'm a stubborn old goat. The few times I have switched to easy, it was too easy, and thus boring. With the exception of Throne of Baal, which made me so angry even on the easiest setting, that I felt no sense of accomplishment at all, and am still pissed off two years later just thinking about it.

I do like Wizardry though, and I enjoyed Demon's Souls despite certain parts (Steve Irwin Simulator level/flaming boss), but it's more because I'm an idiot than any kind of "hard core" gamer. I have to be in the right mood to even start something I know is going to wake up my neighbors. :-X

The worst though is Mega Man. Every time I play one I vow to never touch the series again, and then a year later I start another and it makes me just as frustrated. I actually LIKE the games, but why the hell nobody has made a "normal mode" hack for them I have no idea.

Well for old school games like Megaman and the linear castlevania games, much of the appeal comes from overcoming the brutal challenges and mastering the levels to the point where you can easily breeze through them with some practice. I still rmemeber dieing for like 1 hour in the Grim Reaper stage in the original castlevania, then on the try that I succeeded I did that shit flawlessly and I wasnt even all that concentrated, I was just casually playing. Then I proceeded to die 2 hours in Dracula and when I killed that motherfucker it felt amazing. Same with Rondo of Blood, SC IV and Dracula X.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7103 on: February 19, 2014, 11:48:14 AM »

Mostly Natural Selection 2, some Hearthstone and Path of Exile. Not much time for anything else. Still getting around to giving FFXIII another chance.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7104 on: February 19, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »

No idea why someone would care if a complete stranger played on easy. At the end of the day, as long as they are having fun who cares. I like it when games allow you to change the difficulty mid game. You find Normal too easy? Just knock it up to hard. Too hard? You can change to easy.     

Dead Space.

Loving it so far. Bioshock is a lot more similar to System Shock 2 gameplay wise but I think that Dead Space got the atmosphere down a lot more.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7105 on: February 19, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »

Really, on a lot of games (especially Dark Souls) the only "skill" needed to overcome video game challenges is patience and/or trial and error.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7106 on: February 19, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »

I'm actually pretty blue that I play Bravely Default on Easy.  I conquered FFV, and I was super proud of that.  But then I get torn between upping the difficulty and sitting down with the game (because I can't say I'm in it for the story).  It's actually kinda hampering my enjoyment of the game a bit; so I might start dividing it between Easy and Normal then (easy for grinding, normal for dungeons).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7107 on: February 19, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »

Well for old school games like Megaman and the linear castlevania games, much of the appeal comes from overcoming the brutal challenges and mastering the levels to the point where you can easily breeze through them with some practice.

The thing with oldschool Megaman is that a lot of the levels have a trick to them, or like, there's a specific ordering that makes things way easier. The fuck-you bricks can be bypassed if you have certain tools in MM2, knowing the boss weakness can make a lot of the bosses easier, etc. The wily levels stll tend to be, er, zonkers.

Zero pretty much comes down to manual dexterity.

Bioshock is a lot more similar to System Shock 2 gameplay wise but I think that Dead Space got the atmosphere down a lot more.

Bioshock's similarity felt like a detriment to me, since it made it feel really rehashy.

--- edit ---

MGS3 - This is fun as hell. The prospect of a lot of cutscenes if offputting, but...

How's the gameplay to movie ratio in MGS1? 2 seems very uh-uh to me.

--- edit ---

Metal Slug 3 - WTF fuck?

--- edit ---

The Driver - Going to meet Rufus. I am bad at The Driver.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:29:47 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7108 on: February 19, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »

I'm actually pretty blue that I play Bravely Default on Easy.  I conquered FFV, and I was super proud of that.  But then I get torn between upping the difficulty and sitting down with the game (because I can't say I'm in it for the story).  It's actually kinda hampering my enjoyment of the game a bit; so I might start dividing it between Easy and Normal then (easy for grinding, normal for dungeons).

I've been going back and forth between easy and normal on Bravely Default. If I'm going through the story and fighting bosses etc I leave it on normal, but if I'm grinding for EXP, JP, or PG then I put it on easy because you don't lose any of those, but battles go faster because the enemies have worse stats. Just makes things go faster. I think anyone who doesn't do that and doesn't want to spend their life grinding would be stupid not to.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7109 on: February 19, 2014, 10:19:03 PM »

I've gotten back into La Mulana (wiiware version).

MAN, this game can be very unforgiving when it feels like it. Sometimes it throws me a bone--literally--and crushes my head with a boulder. So far, I'm doing okay, but man this can be painstakingly frustrating sometimes. I'll tell you one thing, however, the reward and satisfaction for completing puzzles is very satisfying. :)

Also, almost done with Pokemon Y! My starter is at level 81 (fire) and the rest of the team mid 60s-70s. It's odd, because I had no intentions on using two of them (they were my HM slaves), but they proved themselves useful in battle.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: