Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 04:49:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327437 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 386524 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7140 on: February 21, 2014, 10:48:05 PM »

I can't really comment on the story as a whole, but as far as presentation it's been pretty fantastic so far.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7141 on: February 21, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »

Got to the DS ending in Ni No Kuni and I'm done.  I watched the rest on YouTube because I heard the White Witch arc wasn't that good and I simply can't take any more of this horrid battle system (and I'm not just talking about the AI).  I haven't felt this conflicted about a game in a long time.  It's outstanding in nearly all other aspects and just oozes with charm, especially the phenomenal art direction and score.  The familiar system and battle system really bogged down the game for me.  Now I know why people wish we got the DS version, but I see why they chose the PS3 one.

I remember Ni no Kuni (I always want to say the game is about an Italian boy named "Nino"...stupid joke) was the JRPG for people who don't play/know JRPGs.  It's so divided: People either want to spit on it or call it their GOTY of 2013.

....I hated it.  The battle system drove me up a goddamn wall.
Can someone explain why the 'White Witch arc' seems to (unanimously) "cheapen" the game's story??

Either way I still felt the game was a waste of, otherwise, beautiful resources.  The graphics and music were wonderful....and that's it.  It's also a part of this "wave" of JRPGs that treat their players like they might be idiots.
Couldn't agree more.  Most of the people praising it as the "best JRPG in years" are the ones that seem to only play mainstream titles.  If they took the traditional turn-based route (like in the DS one) it would have felt like Dragon Quest X.

The White Witch arc cheapens the story in the sense that it adds to an otherwise fitting and satisfying conclusion, and mostly consists of three boss battles and a final dungeon.  From what I've seen though, it's not unanimously hated and there are some good arguments for each side.  I didn't know they extended the PS3 version until I was well into the game; I remember being intrigued yet confused at the beginning when I saw the game presenting two main antagonists.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7142 on: February 22, 2014, 07:44:47 AM »

I beat Kingdom Hearts 1.5 last year and I don't remember that battle being difficult at all. Is that a spot people typically struggle?
I dunno, I've beaten the game like 5 times and I only recall having trouble with the fight on my last playthrough. I don't even remember why I had such trouble, so I am just going to blame the infernal swimming controls. >.>
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7143 on: February 22, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »

Holy shit, just finished the demo of LR:FF XIII and it was amazing.. If the game is as good as the demo, then fuck the negative reviews.

If you're in it for the gameplay, most seem impressed in that department.  It's just the story that reviewers really got down about.

20 minutes is not enough to judge the story(that's how long the demo was), but I think the direction they are taking is extremely interesting. Especially with Snow's change(not to mention that the circumstances leading to his change are actually pretty strong motivations). Nevertheless, usually mainstream reviews focus on gameplay over story(case and point, Bravely Default) so I dont really understand the scores, it seems like they are just jumping on the internet XIII hate bandwagon but whatever, if the general opinions on XIII and XIII-2 are anything to go by, I will probably love LR.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:37:46 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7144 on: February 22, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »

It's just the story that reviewers really got down about.

Oh for hell's sake, it's FINAL FANTASY. What were they expecting?

WRT the Driver - I want to like this because it's *seriously* close to Outrun but it kind of pisses me off. IDK maybe it controls better with analogue sticks.

MGS3 - BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:03:18 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7145 on: February 22, 2014, 10:32:04 AM »

Telltale's The Walking Dead - near the end of Chapter 4.  The stranger = hell of a great villain gimmick.  I'm on the edge of my fuckin' seat.  Probably will beat this game in the next few days. 

Mark of the Ninja - this game is pretty good.  I'm not blown away or thinking about this game when I'm not playing (which is the biggest indicator of whether I'm really hooked or not), but it is totally all right.

I'm already trying to figure out what game to play next, and I'm leaning towards hitting up my PS1/PS2 backlog.  Maybe the first Digital Devil Saga, maybe the first Xenosaga, maybe Vagrant Story.  Any suggestions between those three?

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7146 on: February 22, 2014, 10:39:18 AM »

I'm already trying to figure out what game to play next, and I'm leaning towards hitting up my PS1/PS2 backlog.  Maybe the first Digital Devil Saga, maybe the first Xenosaga, maybe Vagrant Story.  Any suggestions between those three?
Vagrant Story, simply because after Xenosaga Episode I you're going to want to go straight to II and III, and DDS2 after DDS1.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7147 on: February 22, 2014, 11:04:13 AM »

If you're in it for the gameplay, most seem impressed in that department.  It's just the story that reviewers really got down about.

Why anyone that enjoyed XIII and most notably XIII-2's story would bother with what a reviewer have to say?

Ignore it if you don't like it or just go for it if you do, simple as that.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7148 on: February 22, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »

Why anyone that enjoyed XIII and most notably XIII-2's story would bother with what a reviewer have to say?

Ignore it if you don't like it or just go for it if you do, simple as that.

This! Most people I see complaining about XIII and XIII.2 story just didnt understand it(disliking or liking is irrelevant, Im talking about failing to grasp aspects of the plot). Just because you dont get something doesnt mean it's nonsensical, it's like saying Math is nonsensical because you cant do it. With that said I have read some opinions of people who understood the story but disliked it nonetheless, those are a rarity among the internet fuckery though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:13:49 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7149 on: February 22, 2014, 12:21:57 PM »

I would say Metal Gear and Kingdom Hearts are the epitome of people hating a story they don't understand.  I never quite understood the hate for the FFXIII trilogy.  Regarding Lightning Returns, people act like all FFs have to be amazing in every category.  It's like when people say FFX is bad because of the story, but then proceed to say it has a great soundtrack and battle system.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7150 on: February 22, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »

I would say Metal Gear and Kingdom Hearts are the epitome of people hating a story they don't understand.  I never quite understood the hate for the FFXIII trilogy.  Regarding Lightning Returns, people act like all FFs have to be amazing in every category.  It's like when people say FFX is bad because of the story, but then proceed to say it has a great soundtrack and battle system.

I like you. Sometimes it feels lonely out here on the vast realms of the interwebs and it's nice to find people with the same perspective as you.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:28:28 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7151 on: February 22, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »

Jesus H, I'm just saying what reviewers have said, I don't freaking know if the plot is good or not.  

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7152 on: February 22, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »

Jesus H, I'm just saying what reviewers have said, I don't freaking know if the plot is good or not. 

Nobody is judging you Dice xD, dont worry. We are talking about the big deal reviewers and the interwebs in general.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:34:40 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7153 on: February 22, 2014, 12:58:22 PM »

I wouldn't pay much attention to those reviews anyway.  You can generally lump "professional" reviewers into one category because most of them seem to think alike and are influenced/pressured in similar ways.  Every single game has a huge range of opinions, but the critic consensus rarely represents that.  I acknowledge that back then there was a need for entertainment reviewers, but those days are gone and now we have so many resources at our disposal to make an educated purchase.

...this is not a hit against RPGFan by the way.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7154 on: February 22, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »

I wouldn't pay much attention to those reviews anyway.  You can generally lump "professional" reviewers into one category because most of them seem to think alike and are influenced/pressured in similar ways.  Every single game has a huge range of opinions, but the critic consensus rarely represents that.  I acknowledge that back then there was a need for entertainment reviewers, but those days are gone and now we have so many resources at our disposal to make an educated purchase.

...this is not a hit against RPGFan by the way.

If anything, I AGREE with a consensus because an issue shared by all is probably a big issue (like Bravely Default's end-game show or people saying how the Zelda series has become too easy).

And quite frankly, I got waaay too little time and money to just throw money at games these days or "take a chance" on new ones.  More specifically, I can't justify buying a 4/10, D-grade game (at full price) even if it caught my interest because I don't want to afford what may (very likely) be a terrible title.  Metacritic has Lightning Returns at a 3.5/5.  Sounds decent, but it also sounds like I'm waiting till a sale happens.

As far as I can tell, a lot of slander towards reviews goes because people don't want an opinion more than they just want an accomplice -- someone to feed their own hype or agree with them, when funny enough, reviews are as much opinion as everyone else's.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: