Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:27:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338111 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The NEW Game Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 490 Print
Author Topic: The NEW Game Journal  (Read 443014 times)
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7155 on: February 22, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »

I wouldn't pay much attention to those reviews anyway.  You can generally lump "professional" reviewers into one category because most of them seem to think alike and are influenced/pressured in similar ways.  Every single game has a huge range of opinions, but the critic consensus rarely represents that.  I acknowledge that back then there was a need for entertainment reviewers, but those days are gone and now we have so many resources at our disposal to make an educated purchase.

...this is not a hit against RPGFan by the way.

If anything, I AGREE with a consensus because an issue shared by all is probably a big issue (like Bravely Default's end-game show or people saying how the Zelda series has become too easy).

And quite frankly, I got waaay too little time and money to just throw money at games these days or "take a chance" on new ones.  More specifically, I can't justify buying a 4/10, D-grade game (at full price) even if it caught my interest because I don't want to afford what may (very likely) be a terrible title.  Metacritic has Lightning Returns at a 3.5/5.  Sounds decent, but it also sounds like I'm waiting till a sale happens.

As far as I can tell, a lot of slander towards reviews goes because people don't want an opinion more than they just want an accomplice -- someone to feed their own hype or agree with them, when funny enough, reviews are as much opinion as everyone else's.

Reviews are worthless for the most part, unless you know what type of person the reviewer is and what kind of tastes they have so you can draw parallels with your own tastes. That kind of mindset will make you miss out on great experiences. If Nier is anything to go by(which I personally havent had the chance to play yet), mainstream reviews are worthless, for my tastes atleast.
It is also a general opinion that for instance, FF8's junctioning system is hard, which is a joke imo and that the Xenosaga games suck and that Apollo Justice sucks, the FF XIII games suck, so on and so forth(and those are points of view that violently clash with my own). Making your own judgement is always preferable, make decisions based on your experiences and tastes, the general consensus can go fuck itself for all I care.(even if my opinions end up falling on the general consensus sometimes, it doesnt mean that the general consensus will always be indicative of your own personal perspective).
With that said you are free to do whatever you want of course and when you are just starting out and dont know enough, general opinions may help, however by this point I have a very solid idea of what I like so I have actually never regretted any purchase I made.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:42:58 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7156 on: February 22, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »

The only good reviews are the one that understand they're reviewing a product and can focus in utilitarian values. I'm not interested in some inane hatred towards menial things like how a story is cheesy or some other bs like that. I'm only interested in how it works. Opinions should be kept out of reviews.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7157 on: February 22, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »

The only good reviews are the one that understand they're reviewing a product and can focus in utilitarian values. I'm not interested in some inane hatred towards menial things like how a story is cheesy or some other bs like that. I'm only interested in how it works. Opinions should be kept out of reviews.

This is a solid mindset for reviews, I approve.( Even if I dont fully agree with it.(why? Procceed to Elegance's next post.))
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:32:29 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7158 on: February 22, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »

I wouldn't pay much attention to those reviews anyway.  You can generally lump "professional" reviewers into one category because most of them seem to think alike and are influenced/pressured in similar ways.  Every single game has a huge range of opinions, but the critic consensus rarely represents that.  I acknowledge that back then there was a need for entertainment reviewers, but those days are gone and now we have so many resources at our disposal to make an educated purchase.

...this is not a hit against RPGFan by the way.

If anything, I AGREE with a consensus because an issue shared by all is probably a big issue (like Bravely Default's end-game show or people saying how the Zelda series has become too easy).

And quite frankly, I got waaay too little time and money to just throw money at games these days or "take a chance" on new ones.  More specifically, I can't justify buying a 4/10, D-grade game (at full price) even if it caught my interest because I don't want to afford what may (very likely) be a terrible title.  Metacritic has Lightning Returns at a 3.5/5.  Sounds decent, but it also sounds like I'm waiting till a sale happens.

As far as I can tell, a lot of slander towards reviews goes because people don't want an opinion more than they just want an accomplice -- someone to feed their own hype or agree with them, when funny enough, reviews are as much opinion as everyone else's.
The money thing is a double-edged sword though.  You may be persuaded to buy a critically acclaimed game that leaves you disappointed (Bioshock Infinite for example), when you could have bought one not on that radar and find a worthy purchase (like The Wonderful 101).  Also, games drop in price faster than ever before (unless we're talking Nintendo); so if money is really an issue, then just wait six months and buy it at 1/3rd the price.

I agree that people seem to want reviews to only match their own opinions, but that's precisely my point.  Reviewers have a job on the line, and I imagine most of them are pressured to sway one way or another by management and the fans' backlash.  Can you really watch videos, read non-professional reviews/impressions, and look at the developer's past work and still not know if the game is right for you?

I'm going to have to disagree here and say that you can't have an objective review because entertainment is subjective by nature.  Well actually you can, but then it looks like this.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:28:52 PM by Elegance » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7159 on: February 22, 2014, 01:27:03 PM »

And what's interesting is how a lot of people read reviews of something they have ex-post-facto, be it a game, a car or whatever.  After someone buys something, they'll then read all the reviews and if they're good, they'll feel justified in their purchase.  If they're bad, they'll second-guess themselves, even if they may be happy.  

That's one reason why I don't look at other reviews when I'm evaluating a game for the site.  A big case in point is Wild Arms XF.  I thoroughly enjoyed the game and said so in my review.  Then I looked at aggregate scores and saw that mine was the only positive review of it.  All the other reviews slammed the game.  And after I read all the negative reviews, where the common complaint was "it's not like FFT," I thought "that's exactly the reason why I liked the original Wild Arms in the first place.  It WASN'T FF.  It was its own cool thing."  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7160 on: February 22, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »

I'm going to have to disagree here and say that you can't have an objective review because entertainment is subjective by nature.  Well actually you can, but then it looks like this.

Im sure he meant just describing the game's mechanics and stuff but yeah you are absolutely spot on.

mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7161 on: February 22, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »

I'm going to have to disagree here and say that you can't have an objective review because entertainment is subjective by nature.  Well actually you can, but then it looks like this.

Yeah, but that is only a joke. It's not like it's impossible to just to chill down and make a damn description about a game instead of making it some sort of philosophical dilemma. I used to waste a lot of time on things like that myself, but at some point I realised just how damn stupid I was. It took a lot of time to regain a more healthy perspective. Never again am I going to repeat that. And no, this is not intended as an insult towards anyone in particular.  

And what's interesting is how a lot of people read reviews of something they have ex-post-facto, be it a game, a car or whatever.  After someone buys something, they'll then read all the reviews and if they're good, they'll feel justified in their purchase.  If they're bad, they'll second-guess themselves, even if they may be happy.  

That much is definitely true. One of the basics is that everyone wants to feel like they made a good deal. Even if they bought a crappy used car, they want to confirm to themselves it was a steal.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7162 on: February 22, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »

Yeah, but that is only a joke. It's not like it's impossible to just to chill down and make a damn description about a game instead of making it some sort of philosophical dilemma. I used to waste a lot of time on things like that myself, but at some point I realised just how damn stupid I was. It took a lot of time to regain a more healthy perspective. Never again am I going to repeat that. And no, this is not intended as an insult towards anyone in particular. 
So what you mean is that all reviews should just explain mechanics and provide descriptions of the game?  I'm fine with that.  It gives no recommendation and allows people to decide for themselves what to do.  Too bad this will never happen though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:00:40 PM by Elegance » Logged
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7163 on: February 22, 2014, 02:40:08 PM »

My advice is when you're undecided about a game, seek out one or two generally positive reviews and one or two generally negative reviews and see which one resonates with you more. That's how I go about deciding anyway.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7164 on: February 22, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »

And the proceeding page is why I waste my time on LPs instead.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7165 on: February 22, 2014, 02:44:34 PM »

Yeah, but that is only a joke. It's not like it's impossible to just to chill down and make a damn description about a game instead of making it some sort of philosophical dilemma.

So... you want a manual taped to some trailers? :P

Seriously though, it sounds like you'd prefer previews over reviews.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7166 on: February 22, 2014, 02:52:04 PM »

And the proceeding page is why I waste my time on LPs instead.

Yeah because watching a game instead of playing it is so much better... Each to it's own I suppose.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7167 on: February 22, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »

I like LPs when they're funny, but that's about it. What I do enjoy is a watching a friend play. For instance, my best friend and I are playing Final Fantasy XIII now. I've already finished it, but it's his first playthrough. Not only do we joke about the usual stuff (like Hope being the luckiest unlucky kid ever), I also get to make myself useful by summarizing past plot points, giving battle tips and rambling on about how cool the in-game mythology is. Kinda like Navi, but without giving people the urge to kill :D
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7168 on: February 22, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »

I like LPs when they're funny, but that's about it. What I do enjoy is a watching a friend play. For instance, my best friend and I are playing Final Fantasy XIII now. I've already finished it, but it's his first playthrough. Not only do we joke about the usual stuff (like Hope being the luckiest unlucky kid ever), I also get to make myself useful by summarizing past plot points, giving battle tips and rambling on about how cool the in-game mythology is. Kinda like Navi, but without giving people the urge to kill :D

Yeah that's cool, I watched one of my friends play 999, we stayed up until 8 am for the true ending. Of course I had already played it.

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7169 on: February 22, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »

Isn't it awkward watching someone play a handheld?
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 490 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: