Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 11:47:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341122 Posts in 13941 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Hockey Thread!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Hockey Thread!  (Read 135216 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 10, 2011, 02:12:36 PM »

OK, usually this happens for the playoffs, but it's pretty much playoffs now, especially with how tight the standings are for most teams.

Can't believe the Ducks got Lubomir Visnovsky for Ryan Whitney and a 6th.  Now leading the NHL in points for a defenseman.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 02:14:58 PM »

Lets hope Pacioretty can recover. He's only 22... that's pretty young for spinal and brain damage.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »

I love me some hockey, but since I don't have cable I can only watch if it's on WGN.

Tough loss yesterday for the Hawks, tight conference
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »

Brutal thing that happened Pacioretti... you could actually hear the hurt.  Hope he gets well, to whatever extent you can from a neck injury....  Amazing Chara got off as light as he did, but I guess it was just a good hit in the wrong spot...
For anyone who missed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQA8yKWBgc

Go Leafs...you fucken shitty ass team...

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »

I was at the Flyers-Rangers game at Madison Square Garden on Sunday watching my boys get blasted 7-0. Finally ended the losing streak but a visit from the Oilers will do that for ya.

Awful about Pacioretti.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »

Fuck Zdeno Chara. Seriously. Maybe it wasn't intentional but I don't want to hear the bullshit 'doesn't know his own strength' excuse anymore. He's been in the NHL for HOW long? And is the captain of a team that's been on the wrong end of one too many concussions (Savard, Bergeron)?

Anyway, glad we beat Dallas in the SO after, you know, BLOWING A THREE GOAL LEAD. Just 2.5 months ago Calgary was 14th in the West.. now we're in 5th. Awesome.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night? o.o

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »

I'm still mulling the issue of what to do with Chara on that hit.

Obviously on any other part of the boards this is a 2 minute interference penalty... that probably doesn't even get called. Whether Chara intended anything or not though, Pacioretti is in the hospital.

My biggest gripe for the NHL since the rule changes several years ago to make the game faster is that penalties such as interference are not called nearly often enough. If you combine a faster game with the same types of hits that used to go uncalled, you create dangerous situations. I know fans don't want the game getting "wimpier" and don't want hitting taken out of the game... but fact of the matter is bad things happen if you combine bigger faster guys with the same forgiving officiating when it comes to late hits... game just becomes a heckuva lot more dangerous and you get more serious situations like this.

Then again if every penalty actually got called Briere would probably have about 70 hooking penalties by now.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »

What was Quenneville thinking sending Toews on that early?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »

The things about Quenneville is that they always try to walk it in.

EDIT: Just googled "Quenneville", turns out that is a person and not a team.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:52:44 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »

Then again if every penalty actually got called Briere would probably have about 70 hooking penalties by now.

Briere + Perry means that I never have to worry about PIM in my fantasy league.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »

The things about Quenneville is that they always try to walk it in.

EDIT: Just googled "Quenneville", turns out that is a person and not a team.

Hit the showers, you gave it your all
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 04:14:46 PM »

I'm still mulling the issue of what to do with Chara on that hit.

Obviously on any other part of the boards this is a 2 minute interference penalty... that probably doesn't even get called. Whether Chara intended anything or not though, Pacioretti is in the hospital.

My biggest gripe for the NHL since the rule changes several years ago to make the game faster is that penalties such as interference are not called nearly often enough. If you combine a faster game with the same types of hits that used to go uncalled, you create dangerous situations. I know fans don't want the game getting "wimpier" and don't want hitting taken out of the game... but fact of the matter is bad things happen if you combine bigger faster guys with the same forgiving officiating when it comes to late hits... game just becomes a heckuva lot more dangerous and you get more serious situations like this.

My other problem is this league's inconsistency when it comes to suspensions. Even if it was not intentional, it was still rather careless. Bettman calling this a part of the game when Pacioretti was very, very close to being PARALYZED makes me ill.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »

I was bummed when the Blackhawks ended their winning streak the other night, and then yesterday when we went to the shootout, I knew we were going to lose.  It's not our forte, although Toews is masterful at them, so when he missed I knew we were pretty much screwed.  At least we got a point out of it.  I'm not expecting another cup, but I do hope we at least make the playoffs.  But Toews is continuing to impress me every game.  He's everywhere, such a great captain!  And where the heck is the Duncan Keith from last year?  I want him back.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 04:18:30 PM »

My other problem is this league's inconsistency when it comes to suspensions.

Honestly I think the NHL has been pretty consistent when it comes to suspensions lately. If people know your name you don't get a suspension. ;-)

Also, this: http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/11/nhl-suspensions.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: