Author Topic: Sega Saturn

CDFN

• View Profile
Re: Sega Saturn
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »
Magic Knight... something or other. Sorry I forgot. Never owned one

Magic Knight Rayearth! That was the last Saturn game to be released in the US if memory serves. Last in Europe was Deep Fear, it was a resident evil clone but it was fantastic, surprinsingly big production values for a game that was released for a console that was pretty much dead at the time. It was really good. I already recomended it in my first post.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 03:57:24 PM »
All I have to say is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SanWyvMQunI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obLniZJF1H0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXpXbNzntOA

Oh man, sonic R, the most impressive 3D engine ever created for the saturn (along with PDS) wasted on a crappy racing game when everyone and their mother was screaming for a proper sonic game. When the first pics leaked people thought it was for the model 3 arcade board. Another cruel tease was that fantastic 3D level sonic team included in the sonic collection. All I could do was pick up one of the many videogame mags littering my room's floor, open the pages covering E3 1996, look at those incredible sonic extreme pics and weep.
I was a huge sega fanboy at the time so these memories actually cause me physical pain.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:21:00 AM by CDFN »
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 04:42:26 PM »
It causes me physical pain that I never bought the damn system back then.  I was so concerned with the Nintendo 64 and Playstation. 
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »
It causes me physical pain that I never bought the damn system back then.  I was so concerned with the Nintendo 64 and Playstation. 

The psone was the way to go. I had to buy one eventually, the saturn was dead before the Psone even reached its prime. No serious gamer would miss out on games like gran turismo, FF7/8/9, resident evil 2/3, tekken 3, wipeout, etc, etc.

I just mentioned how cool it was to have sega rally in my living room. Well, when I was first opened a mag with pics of GT... I can't even describe it, it was unreal. Then I start reading the article and realize that besides the most amazing graphics ever the game had 150 cars and 20 tracks. Sega rally had 3 cars and 4 tracks... Then GT2 was announced and... well, you get the idea, the saturn was looking like a joke in comparison.
I still remember how happy I was when capcom announced that RE would be ported to the saturn. But pics of RE2 were already surfacing and it looked so much better.
And don't get me started on FFVII. I remember this tv show about videogames we used to have here. When they showed the first trailer of FF7 I recorded it and then spent an hour rewinding it and watching it over and over again.
It felt like those machines weren't even from the same gen. Then the news that such antecipated games as grandia, x-men vs street fighter, radiant silvergun and dead or alive would remain in Japan. To ad insult to injury most of them eventually got ported to the psone and were released worlwide.

All sega had was the software provided by it's arcade divisions but even that failed eventually. In late 1996 Sega released the model 3 board and since it was infinitely more powerful than the saturn, ports were now impossible. Virtua Fighter 3 and Sega Rally 2 would never see a dreamcast version. Instead Sega focused on getting these on the dreamcast as soon as possible. The sonic game that the saturn never got was also in development for the new machine. Sega was admitting defeat and leaving all saturn owners in the cold. To make matters worse AM2 admitted having a version of VF3 running on Saturn but since it would steal the thunder from the dreamcast version (it was the only strong title in the releease line-up) it got canned. Remember that Sega promised at one point in time that the game would be on the saturn. It would be a watered down version but it would be better than nothing.
AM2 gave us a bit of that port in fighter's megamix though. Akira's VF3 stage was in it and Janet (from virtua cop) had all the moves of the new VF3 character Aoi. These little things meant the world to me, a few pieces of VF3 still made it into a saturn game.

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 05:30:43 AM »
I actually broke down and bought a brand new Sega Saturn for $100. Guardian Heroes for $80 and Panzer Dragoon 1 & Zwei for $30. Not bad in my opinion.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 06:20:11 AM »
Those are real classics, enjoy them.

My saturn actually died so I ended up selling all the games

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 06:24:05 AM »
I also bought Shinobi Legions, sucks that Burning Rangers is almost impossible to find on eBay and if you do, it's over $100. It kinda reminded me of Mega Man Legends in a way.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »
I actually broke down and bought a brand new Sega Saturn for $100. Guardian Heroes for $80 and Panzer Dragoon 1 & Zwei for $30. Not bad in my opinion.

Awesome. That's a good deal for guardian

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »
Magic Knight... something or other. Sorry I forgot. Never owned one

Rayearth, very last game released in the US.

I've been Let's Playing it, if you're interested. It's fantastic, and has held up very well.
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=124366

As for the absolute best game on the system? Dragon Force, no doubt. So much replay value, even a decade+ later.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

TiamatNM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
This is still my favorite system.  I think most of the really good games were mentioned already but I'll throw Silhoutte Mirage in there, though it is Japan only.  I know there's a Playstation version released in the US by Working Designs, and I've read about changes they made and stuff but I haven't played it.  Point is though, it's one of the best 2D action games I've played and I will always have fond memories of it.

I also really like Virtual On, and it was actually the main reason I originally got the system.  Graphics and stuff not nearly as good as the arcade version (which I played years later) but it's still Virtual On.  

Also 
Panzer Dragon games, Dragon Force,  Astal, Fighter's Megamix, Albert Odyssey Gaiden, Shinning Wsdom. Shinobi

I'm glad someone else liked Astal.  It isn't well known but it's a good game.  Graphics, music, and gameplay were all very good but not much extra content (you can't even create a save file) so you prettymuch had to beat it in one sitting. 

Sonic Jam is also a really good game, it's a collection of sonic1,2,3 & knuckles and has a cool 3D museum thingy. 

Also for Nights, if you can find the Christmas Nights "demo" disk that is also really good and the data links with your main Nights file
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:43:37 PM by TiamatNM »

Parn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 04:38:05 PM »
What's embarrassing is that the Saturn still has the best Sonic the Hedgehog and Phantasy Star collections.  They didn't just put the games on the discs for those collections, but also added in lots of historical stuff, tons of artwork, commercials, and so forth.

Speaking of which, you can snag the music for the Sega Saturn Phantasy Star Collection on my website here.  The illustration gallery songs are tight.

And while I'm shamelessly plugging my website, there's some artwork from Albert Odyssey Gaiden that I have scanned here... I guarantee you haven't seen it before.

I'm now in a Sega Saturn nostalgia mood and should do a 100% perfect shotdown playthrough of Panzer Dragoon Zwei again, and upload it onto Youtube.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 05:40:25 PM »
This is still my favorite system.  I think most of the really good games were mentioned already but I'll throw Silhoutte Mirage in there, though it is Japan only.  I know there's a Playstation version released in the US by Working Designs, and I've read about changes they made and stuff but I haven't played it.  Point is though, it's one of the best 2D action games I've played and I will always have fond memories of it.

I also really like Virtual On, and it was actually the main reason I originally got the system.  Graphics and stuff not nearly as good as the arcade version (which I played years later) but it's still Virtual On.  

Also 
Panzer Dragon games, Dragon Force,  Astal, Fighter's Megamix, Albert Odyssey Gaiden, Shinning Wsdom. Shinobi

I'm glad someone else liked Astal.  It isn't well known but it's a good game.  Graphics, music, and gameplay were all very good but not much extra content (you can't even create a save file) so you prettymuch had to beat it in one sitting. 

Sonic Jam is also a really good game, it's a collection of sonic1,2,3 & knuckles and has a cool 3D museum thingy. 

Also for Nights, if you can find the Christmas Nights "demo" disk that is also really good and the data links with your main Nights file

What I loved about Christmas Nights was that depending on the time of year the scenery and music would change accordingly. The music in Nights was brilliant and was influenced by the mood of those little creatures inhabitating the world. Your interactions with them would ultimately decide the mood of the music. If you made them happy (by hatching eggs and protecting them) the music would reflect that, if you went on a killing spree the music would get gloomy. All of it was brilliant though.
There was also a lot of stuff to unlock including sonic (at first thought to be a hint for the saturn sonic game but in the end yet another cruel tease).

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
Your Final Fantasy XIV Review was hilarious!
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

Parn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »
It's actually not my review, haha.  I'm not nearly as nice.