Author Topic: RPGs as collectibles?

Anime & RPGl and

• View Profile
RPGs as collectibles?
« on: March 10, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »
Hi all. I have a number of games I have purchased over the years but never got around to actually playing or opening for that matter. Do you think these are or will become collectibles? Some of opened and played but I try to hold on to them and not trade or sell them away if they might be collectibles. Maybe it's better to just trade/sell them away and just stay with current titles. Thoughts?

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
Re: RPGs as collectibles?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »
I am a pack rat and keep almost everything I buy. Most of the games I have post 16 bit era are in mint condition.

Anime & RPGl and

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »
Cool. I have debated for years about getting rid of older stuff just to make space...in turn some games I've kept and others I've let go. Whether a game is collectible or not may not necessarily be the issue...I had Xenogears which everyone seems to love but I let it go because I couldn't stand it...I don't miss that one though.

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:49:55 PM »
I keep everything I buy. I'm actually planning on making some videos on my Game Room Collection this weekend. Nothing compared to Pete Dorr or HappyConsoleGamer but my collection exceeds 600+ games.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX
Steam, GOG & Xbox Live: Ivalice VKP

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:03 PM »
happy console gamer.

If there's one collection I'd love to raid it'd be that one

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »
Some titles are currently going for more than double their original price so I don't see why they couldn't be collectible.  Hell, I'm kicking myself for selling on RPGFan years ago a dvd set of old anime.  Shit is going for a ton of money right now since it's long out of print.

Cool. I have debated for years about getting rid of older stuff just to make space...in turn some games I've kept and others I've let go. Whether a game is collectible or not may not necessarily be the issue...I had Xenogears which everyone seems to love but I let it go because I couldn't stand it...I don't miss that one though.

Like the game or not, it has sold for quite a bit a money in the last few years.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
I wish I still owned all the boxes my nes, snes and n64 games came in. I don't know why i threw them away back in the 90's :(

The only box I still own is the Chrono Trigger box and it even still has all the inserts which is cool to me.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX
Steam, GOG & Xbox Live: Ivalice VKP

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

MindCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 07:45:58 PM »
That's another one it's sterted about 12 times. You think it being on psone classics now will take a bit out of the physical game's value?
Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor

Arhkaos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
It's true that RPGs tend to gain value over time (take Earthbound, for example), altough their prices take a serious hit when they're re-released on Virtual console/PSOne Classics (PSX FFs used to have a great value, but not anymore).
I have fury!

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:26:38 PM »
It's true that RPGs tend to gain value over time (take Earthbound, for example), altough their prices take a serious hit when they're re-released on Virtual console/PSOne Classics (PSX FFs used to have a great value, but not anymore).

Whilst this is true, real collector's will still pay a lot for a copy that is in great condition. 99% of the time I would happily pay more if it meant I could get a physical copy of a game I really wanted.

Madoka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 09:31:05 PM »
I also love having a physical copy--Nothing like holding it in your hands. I'm not a fan of digital distribution only. I also keep all the games I buy; I'm not as uber as you guys as I only started about 4 years ago, but I'm slowing growing my collection.

Quote from: Akanbe-
Hell, I'm kicking myself for selling on RPGFan years ago a dvd set of old anime.

May I ask what that series was?

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
I wish I still owned all the boxes my nes, snes and n64 games came in. I don't know why i threw them away back in the 90's :(

The only box I still own is the Chrono Trigger box and it even still has all the inserts which is cool to me.

In the same boat  desroyed all my old boxes  as well. Oh and I bow before youe massive collection nearly double mine and I though I had alot, lol.

supersonic

• Prefers JRPGs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:38:16 PM »
One thing I hope to achieve before I die is owning a complete copy of every single JRPG released in the West. So far I have around 150.

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »
I also love having a physical copy--Nothing like holding it in your hands. I'm not a fan of digital distribution only. I also keep all the games I buy; I'm not as uber as you guys as I only started about 4 years ago, but I'm slowing growing my collection.

Quote from: Akanbe-
Hell, I'm kicking myself for selling on RPGFan years ago a dvd set of old anime.

May I ask what that series was?

Yoroiden Samurai Troopers.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

SonicDeathMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 11:19:11 PM »
I feel like with the way XBLA/PSN/remakes-in-general are going, having old "collectible" games won't be as practical some day as it once was.
Still might be worth something some day though, can't call it on that.