Author Topic: RPGs as collectibles?

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: RPGs as collectibles?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 11:46:06 PM »
Is paying $120 for a copy of Guardian Heroes dumb? I love the game to death and it is an RPG :)
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX
Steam, GOG & Xbox Live: Ivalice VKP

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

Anime & RPGl and

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 09:24:51 AM »
Is paying $120 for a copy of Guardian Heroes dumb? I love the game to death and it is an RPG :)

Not if you love the game.

I'm still trying to find these games...Lunar, Lunar 2, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Threads of Fate, Breath of Fire III and IV, Dragon Warrior VII, Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey plus many others. My hope is to trade for these items. But I would be willing to buy depending on the price.

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 10:04:52 AM »
RPG's certainly have (by far) the highest resale value. I eventually parted with my Suikoden 2 (after doing a full complete a couple of times again) for a decent chunk of cash. Masquerade Bloodlines, Wizardry, SMT and Star Ocean titles also sold very well too.

Nearly all of the top 10 most expensive PS1 games are RPG's.

sandiny0ursh0es

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
I used to be really anal about collecting games. I think I've phased out of that mindset for the time being. My former self would never resort to buying "Greatest Hits" versions of any game, but seeing Heavy Rain go for $30 as opposed to $50 is much more appealing to me than worrying about obtaining the black label version.

I'm becoming more a fan of digital distribution. I love how I have a fuckton of games at my disposal on my little PSP memory stick. It's most convenient.

MindCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »

I'm still trying to find these games...Lunar, Lunar 2, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Threads of Fate, Breath of Fire III and IV, Dragon Warrior VII, Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey plus many others. My hope is to trade for these items. But I would be willing to buy depending on the price.
I have all the PsOne games you listed, but I can't sell. Love them too much.
I would pay some $$ to have Brave Fencer Musashi back. I sometimes catch the town theme from that game playing in my head even though it's been maybe 10 years since I played it.
Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor

Anime & RPGl and

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »

I would pay some $$ to have Brave Fencer Musashi back. I sometimes catch the town theme from that game playing in my head even though it's been maybe 10 years since I played it.

Wow, you have all the titles I listed! Let me know if you part with them.

Ivalice Alliance

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »

Thanks man, now i have the Town theme from BFM stuck in my head :)
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »

Wow, you have all the titles I listed! Let me know if you part with them.

Ivalice Alliance

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 02:35:37 PM »
I could never sell my games, like I said. It's my life :)
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

MindCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »
There's a whole different side to this for me as well. I have kids. Someday they may want to know what daddy used to play. It's kind of only half true since when I was as old as they were it was my Coleco Vision and my NES. but I don't really see them being interested in anything earlier than PsOne era. I don't have anything 16bit or earlier anyway :-(
Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor

Ivalice Alliance

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »
I admit, i'm 25 and still single, I don't care.  I have all these games and other collectibles.  I never want to part with them even if my future gf/wife wants me to.  I'll be very upset,lol.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »
I admit, i'm 25 and still single, I don't care.  I have all these games and other collectibles.  I never want to part with them even if my future gf/wife wants me to.  I'll be very upset,lol.

If she wants you to part with them then she ain't worth it. Asking someone to give up a cherished hobby is a big no no for me.

If she just thinks it's weird, well then that's ok. :)

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »
Yeah, never let anyone make you get rid of the hobbies that make you happy. Unless your hobby is bringing pre-op transsexual prostitutes to hotel rooms (and not for a nice game of poker, neither). Then you might have to go into negotiations.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 07:17:14 PM »
But as far as straight up collecting goes, I recommend buying every new game for both xbox and ps3. Get the limited editions of everything.

Make sure to focus on titles that people consider "ho-hum" like Two Worlds and such. Those are guaranteed to be collectors items

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
Everything becomes collectibles eventually. Keep it in good condition and wait a few thousand years.