Author Topic: RPGs as collectibles?

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: RPGs as collectibles?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »
Yeah, never let anyone make you get rid of the hobbies that make you happy. Unless your hobby is bringing pre-op transsexual prostitutes to hotel rooms (and not for a nice game of poker, neither). Then you might have to go into negotiations.

This made me very happy,lol!
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX
Steam, GOG & Xbox Live: Ivalice VKP

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

MindCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 12:49:11 AM »
I admit, i'm 25 and still single, I don't care.  I have all these games and other collectibles.  I never want to part with them even if my future gf/wife wants me to.  I'll be very upset,lol.

If she wants you to part with them then she ain't worth it. Asking someone to give up a cherished hobby is a big no no for me.

If she just thinks it's weird, well then that's ok. :)

I already got my future wife to agree to play Lunar. I also told her I don't care if she loves it or not, and she can quit playing whenever. I just think it will open her eyes a bit to what else is out there. I tried to show her Radiant Historia a bit, but for someone totally unfamiliar with the genre, or RPGs at all, that was a bit much.
Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor

Sorrows Saturn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 01:16:31 AM »
I keep most of the games I buy...even though most of them I probably will never play through a second time.

Same goes for my book collection.

Ivalice Alliance

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 02:10:43 AM »
I sometimes hate that.  I have so many games that are worth replaying but my collection keeps growing and I keep playing new games that are amazing that I feel like I would never be able to play through all my games again unless I cheated but then that takes the fun away :(

I'll be an old man by the time I would go back through my collection again and by then, these games probably won't even work then.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake

Vanguard

• I am America, and I hate JRPGs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »
I used to be a real collector with video games, vinyl, comics books, books etc but I've really outgrown that stage. Really, there's no reason for it. Video games are meant to be played, records should be listened to, and books read. If they're not being used, they're just collecting dust in the museum that is your room.
Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.

Ivalice Alliance

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »
You are correct about that.  It's also true about this: Why do we buy stuff?  When we die, it's going to either be thrown away or.....thrown away,lol.  Material objects are not needed but we buy things anyway. 

I just thought of this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

Vanguard

• I am America, and I hate JRPGs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 04:54:20 PM »
Don't get me wrong, buy something if you want it, but don't think you need it to live. That's all a collector's mentality is: the belief that a commodity is a necessity.
Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.

MindCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »
I'm glad I hung on to mine for other reasons. Namely I can now share them with my wife and kids. Hell we booted up Mario 3 on the old NES the other day and they loved it. Eventually I'll let them try some of the classic RPGs I have too.
Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor

Arhkaos

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »
Well, I am a collector since I've got my PS3. The fact is that before I've got this one, I didn't work so I didn't have money to buy games. I only had 2-3 of them on Christmas and my birthday. I actually finished those games and re-played them a lot, as I only had a few. How many times did I play the first levels of those too-difficult NES games when it was the only console we had... Now I just buy more games than I can actually play. I realized it was crazy, but I'm still buying WAY too much games. I'm just too scared I won't be able to find them afterwards (most RPGS are only translated in English for the NA loclization, and I live in Quebec where a law prohibits sellers from marketing games that aren't bilingual, at least the case, so usually, if I don't pre-order it, I won't ever see it again.) These times I'm bidding for good prices on rare items on eBay (got Lunar 2 PSX for 30$ last month) so I can "complete" my collection of games that I dreamed of when I was younger but couldn't afford and couldnt't rent. But one thing that I started doing was trading games that I don't like. I didn't like Glory of Heracles, for example, so I traded it for a good price even though it is a DS RPG, my favorites. What's the point in keeping a game that I don't even like? Same thing for Last Rebellion, which will probably become "collectible" some day even though it's one of the worst RPGs I ever played. I also started trading "big" games like Assassin's Creed and Red Dead Redemption. Even though I liked and finished them, they aren't the kind of games that fit a "collection", unlike RPGs that are usually rarer. Oh and I also wonder if I should buy Hyperdimension Neptunia and Ar Tonelico even though they received a bad review. The collector in me wants them madly, but the player just knows I won't like them and probably never play them either.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:53:06 AM by Arhkaos »
I have fury!

Sorrows Saturn

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
Oh and I also wonder if I should buy Hyperdimension Neptunia and Ar Tonelico even though they received a bad review. The collector in me wants them madly, but the player just knows I won't like them and probably never play them either.
Neptunia actually isn't that bad of a game. It's certainly a mediocre game, but it's not bad. The games a "love it or hate it" kind of deal. If it doesn't seem like something you would enjoy, I wouldn't bother with it. $60 is a lot to pay for a mediocre game that you only want for collecting purposes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:10:53 PM by Sorrows Saturn »

Arhkaos

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »
Oh and I also wonder if I should buy Hyperdimension Neptunia and Ar Tonelico even though they received a bad review. The collector in me wants them madly, but the player just knows I won't like them and probably never play them either.
Neptunia actually isn't that bad of a game. It's certainly a mediocre game, but it's not bad. The games a "love it or hate it" kind of deal. If it doesn't seem like something you would enjoy, I wouldn't bother with it. $60 is a lot to pay for a mediocre game that you only want for collecting purposes.

Well, my problem is that we still have the limited edition at the place where I work, and I just LOVE limited editions :P Beside, it's already overpriced on eBay! But in fact my problem is that every time I tried a game published by NISA, I disliked it... Even Disgaea isn't too much my kind of game... They seem overly complicated and superficial to me. I prefer simpler games with a great story and great characters: a great/original gameplay isn't enough for me. On the other hand, I like pretty much everything Atlus releases.
I have fury!

supersonic

• Prefers JRPGs
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 12:04:58 AM »

Just bought a copy from Gamestop...even if I'll never play it I just want to have it on my shelf. And it actually doesn't look half bad judging by the reviews.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »

Just bought a copy from Gamestop...even if I'll never play it I just want to have it on my shelf. And it actually doesn't look half bad judging by the reviews.

I rented it from Gamefly. Its is mediocre, but its still a fun game with tons of gaming references that will make you laugh, smile, or just be indifferent to. It is very grindy though. Instead of grinding mobs, you grind the bosses and hidden bosses because normal random encounter mobs give horrible experience.

msg

• ‹bermensch
    • View Profile
    • Retrogamer
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 08:42:12 AM »
I tried to buy shining force 3 online and the prices were absolutely ridiculous, in the end I just downloaded it because I couldn't justify spending that amount on a game.
I own FF7, 8 and 9 all in mint condition, im hoping one day they will be worth a lot but psn re-releasing 7 hasn't helped.
I think for classic games there will always be people willing to pay top money to collect them.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
I only collect games in the sense that I want a physical copy of them. I'm not interested in what they're worth.

If they're valuable, it's a lucky bonus.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.