Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 08:41:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329285 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  8.9 (9.0?) Earthquake hits Japan.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Print
Author Topic: 8.9 (9.0?) Earthquake hits Japan.  (Read 32755 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: March 18, 2011, 01:45:40 PM »

Of course radiation is good for you. Have you never even seen the Hulk?

That man gets shit done.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: March 18, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »

Maybe i'm late at saying this but I heard that the radiation has made it's way over here to the States?  Something about the airplanes that went over to help and they came back had traces of it on the plane?  Maybe I heard wrong on that one...

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2011, 02:03:28 PM »

Yeah, there were trace amounts, nothing harmful on four planes from Tokyo which landed in some airport. I forget the name.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »

Don't panic.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »

There are small traces of radiation hitting California but not enough to be harmful.

And it's still less than was generated by Ronald Reagan during his residency there, the ****ing grape-eating radioactive homophobic space lizard.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »

My favorite part from that article:

As one who earns his living in the media these days, I can only apologise on behalf of my profession for the unbelievable levels of fear and misinformation purveyed this week. I have never been so ashamed to call myself a journalist.

For added value to this post, here's a bit written by Theodore Rockwell, who is arguably THE current expert when it comes to radiation.

FUKUSHIMA: IT’S NOT ABOUT RADIATION, IT’S ABOUT TSUNAMIS

A lot of wrong lessons are being pushed on us, about the tragedy now unfolding in Japan. All the scare-talk about radiation is irrelevant. There is no radiation danger, there will be no radiation danger, regardless of how much reactor melting may occur. Radiation? Yes. Danger? No. Life evolved on, and adapted to, a much more radioactive planet. Our current natural radiation levels—worldwide—are below optimum. Statements that there is no safe level of radiation are an affront to science and to common sense. The radiation situation should be no worse than from the Three Mile Island (TMI) incident, where ten to twenty tons of the nuclear reactor melted down, slumped to the bottom of the reactor vessel, and initiated the dreaded China Syndrome, where the reactor core melts and burns its way into the earth. On the computers and movie screens of people who make a living “predicting” disasters, TMI is an unprecedented catastrophe. In the real world, the molten mass froze when it hit the colder reactor vessel, and stopped its downward journey at five-eighths of an inch through the five-inch thick vessel wall. And there was no harm to people or the environment. None.

Yet in Japan, you have radiation zealots threatening to order people out of their homes, to wander, homeless and panic-stricken, through the battered countryside, to do what? All to avoid a radiation dose lower than what they would get from a ski trip.

The important point for nuclear power is that some of the nuclear plants were swept with a wall of seawater that may have instantly converted a multi-billion dollar asset into a multi-billion dollar problem. That’s bad news. But it’s not unique to nuclear power. If Fukushima were a computer chip factory, would we consider abandoning the electronic industry because it was not tsunami-proof? It would be ironic if American nuclear power were phased out as unsafe, without having ever killed or injured a single member of the public, to be replaced by coal, gas and oil, proven killers of tens of thousands each year.

Moreover, the extent and nature of the damage from seawater may be less than first implied. Rod Adams, a former nuclear submarine officer, who operated a nuclear power plant at sea for many years, says that inadvertent flooding of certain equipment with seawater was not uncommon. He includes electronics-laden missile tubes. “We flushed them out with fresh water,” he said. “Sometimes we had to replace insulation and other parts. But we could ultimately bring them back on line, working satisfactorily.”

The lessons from Japan involve tsunamis, not radiation.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: March 19, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »

What's this I've been hearing about a huge quake hitting California next?

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: March 19, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUmtAgZg9sI
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 19, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »

And that has nothing to do with this topic. Maybe you thought you were posting in the Youtube thread?
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: March 25, 2011, 01:02:23 AM »

http://jalopnik.com/#!5785281/japan-fixed-this-quake+damaged-road-in-just-six-days

Amazing. And the last sentence speaks the truth.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: March 27, 2011, 11:57:17 PM »

Wow, how did he walk away uninjured at that speed,lol?

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »

I just read that another Earthquake of 5.5 just hit :(

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: March 29, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »

Under normal circumstances 5.5 wouldn't even be newsworthy.  That's nothing to worry about.

Remember, the richter scale is logarithmic.

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: March 29, 2011, 07:06:25 PM »

I understand that of course but it just sucks though.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: March 29, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »

Japan is an earthquake-prone country.  I doubt they have anything there that would be damaged by a 5.5, because everything they build is done with earthquakes in mind.

You can say it 'sucks' but that's like complaining about rain in Seattle...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: