Author Topic: 8.9 (9.0?) Earthquake hits Japan.

Lard

• View Profile
Re: 8.9 Earthquake hits Japan.
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »
That's incredible.

Has anyone here been in an earthquake? I don't want to make light of it but I would like to experience a mild one some day.

I'd also like to see a tornado... from a safe distance.

The worst earthquake I was in while in Japan was something around a 4. It actually woke me up and I'm a pretty heavy sleeper. Scared the shit out of me, because I woke up to the sound of smashing glass (glasses falling off a tray above the sink and smashing on the floor) and when I got up to check, while half asleep, I promptly fell over again because everything was shaking. Scared the living hell out of me. I can't imagine what it was like to go through that.

At least it was during the day so people could react quickly, instead of at night.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
There's danger w/ the nuclear powerplants

More coverage on the link in the op

Very scary. They had to vent radioactive gas

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »
I've heard that the earthquake was 9.1 instead of 8.9, is that true or not?

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12:28 PM »

moomoofarm7

• View Profile
    • Rapid Fire Games
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »
I've heard that the earthquake was 9.1 instead of 8.9, is that true or not?

Haven't seen anything about it upgrading to 9.1. I do know the one in Indonesia in 2004 was a 9.1 and that killed over 220,000 people.

I feel absolutely terrible right now. Japan is the last place in the world I would want to see this happen to. Amazing people, amazing history.

We are well into the 6th Mass Extinction of life on earth - at a rate of 30,000 species per year. This is much, much faster than any previous mass extinction, a truly scary statistic. Events like this Earthquake are happening more and more frequently. The Gulf Coast of the United States IS DEAD from the worst environmental disaster in US history. The people who live there are literally extremely sick and dieing, and potentially millions of people might have to relocate - that's how serious the problem is there. Yet no one seems to care. Until the majority of the world wakes up and realizes that life with petroleum will come to an end, and that the earth should be respected like any human, our future is extremely bleak. Another major oil producer being shut down (ie, Saudi Arabia) would send economies around the world, including the US, into economic crisis like we've never seen before. The world is truly in a crisis, right now.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
We are well into the 6th Mass Extinction of life on earth - at a rate of 30,000 species per year. This is much, much faster than any previous mass extinction, a truly scary statistic. Events like this Earthquake are happening more and more frequently. The Gulf Coast of the United States IS DEAD from the worst environmental disaster in US history. The people who live there are literally extremely sick and dieing, and potentially millions of people might have to relocate - that's how serious the problem is there. Yet no one seems to care. Until the majority of the world wakes up and realizes that life with petroleum will come to an end, and that the earth should be respected like any human, our future is extremely bleak. Another major oil producer being shut down (ie, Saudi Arabia) would send economies around the world, including the US, into economic crisis like we've never seen before. The world is truly in a crisis, right now.

And this is relevant to the situation in Japan how exactly?

Stop taking advantage of a horrific natural disaster to push an unrelated political agenda.  It's completely tasteless.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 08:26:33 PM »
Some fucking bullshit.

Thank you for distracting us from the gravity of this tragedy with your insane conspiracy theories.

That reminds me if you want to lose faith in humanity go google "pearl harbor" in facebook comments. Or search facebook comments for "pearl harbor." Or whatever. It's... fucked as shit.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

moomoofarm7

• View Profile
    • Rapid Fire Games
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 08:41:52 PM »
Some fucking bullshit.

Thank you for distracting us from the gravity of this tragedy with your insane conspiracy theories.

That reminds me if you want to lose faith in humanity go google "pearl harbor" in facebook comments. Or search facebook comments for "pearl harbor." Or whatever. It's... fucked as shit.
Nothing I said is conspiracy, simply fact. Period. If you are interested I will prove it to you through sourced material of the highest standards. If you follow intensely well sourced news from the past few years, you would know the fragility of not only the US economy, but economies all over the world. I admit that these facts are hard to handle or believe if you aren't exposed to them. You didn't have to attack me though. I was trying to get the point across that humans have destroyed the Earth at an unbelievable rate. It's fact that disasters are happening all over the world at alarming rates - you guys can't deny this. The Japanese, for the most part, understand the beauty of the Earth and what "life" really is more than 95% of the world, yet they are the ones who get hit hard. Just a shame.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »
Japan is directly under the Ring of Fire and has had tsunamis and earthquakes since the beginning of time.The recent earthquake is a result of natural shifts and changes of the Earth similar to volcanic eruptions in Iceland,hurricanes in the Caribbean islands,or heat waves in the Sahara.

This is not end of time or 2012/Revelations theories in motion,its simply nature taking a role in this constantly changing planet.

Completely irrelevant to oil,global warming or integrated agricultural management.

moomoofarm7

• View Profile
    • Rapid Fire Games
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »
Japan is directly under the Ring of Fire and has had tsunamis and earthquakes since the beginning of time.The recent earthquake is a result of natural shifts and changes of the Earth similar to volcanic eruptions in Iceland,hurricanes in the Caribbean islands,or heat waves in the Sahara.

This is not end of time or 2012/Revelations theories in motion,its simply nature taking a role in this constantly changing planet.

Completely irrelevant to oil,global warming or integrated agricultural management.

Exactly. Many Geologists won't even step foot into Japan knowing full well they've been overdue for massive Earthquakes for a long time.

My point: this is a disaster of the environment. One of many the world is facing right now. Wake up. Read.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Lay down ye yearly harvest in the shrine to Mother Nature! Unless ye want her wrathful vengeance upon ye!

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Fadedsun

• Sunny Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
Japan isn't in a very good position as far as natural disasters go. Volcanoes, earthquakes, typhoons, etc.

I was reminded of this article I found a while back about super typhoons. Some researchers in Japan predict that super typhoons would be hitting Japan every year by the year 2100.

http://www.physorg.com/news192197187.html
"Oh, a hunter..."

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 09:03:13 PM »
Exactly. Many Geologists won't even step foot into Japan knowing full well they've been overdue for massive Earthquakes for a long time.

My point: this is a disaster of the environment. One of many the world is facing right now. Wake up. Read.

You've been saying conflicting things. Your first post was about the oil spill (NOT a natural disaster) and your last post is about how the environment is going apeshit...

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 09:04:31 PM »
I bet this delays The Last Guardian.

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »

No...

The world has always faced natural disasters,whether humanity existed or not.However we cannot stop earthquakes and they just happen without our knowledge.The most we can do is track or predict an earthquake,then make preparations.Japan may face a massive problem right now but Tokyo remains intact due to updated infrastructure code.The people of Haiti are nowhere near as prepared or protected.

So for this instance Japan did what they could.If only Haiti or Indonesia were that fortunate.