Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:39:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318894 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Mortal Kombat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Mortal Kombat  (Read 6281 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »

It's going to be at Evo this year so it's already made the tournament level, I suppose the bigger view is if it's still there next year.

This means nothing other than Evo is no longer about what it used to be.  It was announced at Evo before anyone had really even touched the game.  People were, quite frankly, pissed when games like ST, HDR, MB, etc got cut from the lineup for a game 99.9% of fighting game fans haven't even touched at the time.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 08:02:05 PM »

This game definitely has potential though. It's clear from the demo that they did a great job.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 08:20:15 PM »

Undoubtedly.  Evo just didn't used to be like that.  People were rightfully pissed because games that have proven themselves to be good, competitive, and popular get the shaft for a game that no one had even played yet just because the other games aren't HD or "current gen" anymore.

Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »

Just played the demo. I love it, this is one hell of a comeback for the franchise.

its hard for me to imagine this series making a comeback since it always relied on gimmicks. can you explain hyow it made a comeback?

Sure, it relied on gimmicks and lots of content. I hear you if you are to say that a fighter isn't about that but after playing the demo obsessively I can definitely say that the fighting engine is solid, even if it lacks some polish but it's just an old build of the game.
At heart, I was always a bigger MK fan than SF because I was more sold on the character designs and intriguing storyline (yes, in a fighter). I've been loving it since the first and I still do to this day but them going into the "depths" of 3D was a really bad move. What came after with that T-rated bastard child was unbearable for me and I swiftly quit the franchise and continued playing other franchises like SF, SC, GG/BB. Been accustomed to those again, I find the older mk's kinda lame-ish regarding fighting mechanics and technique but for some unexplained reason (not nostalgia) they are still fun and love them to death.

Considering this one promises a deep and balanced engine, running at 60 constant fps, with shiny graphics, 26+ characters, 25+ arenas, a lot of singleplayer content including Storymode, Arcade Ladder (single and/or tag-team), Versus (single/tag-team), Endurance, over 300 challanges (ala Tower of Souls in SCiv) Online (single/tag-team), lots of unlockables (costumes, fatalities, videos) and other goodies, it's hard not to be slightly impressed with the amount of work. Basically, with all my skepticism, playing the demo sealed the deal for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq9OwlLlHwU&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:37:16 PM by Booboo » Logged

Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 07:51:35 AM »

Based on the demo, I have to say that Cage is actually "not crap". Thats quite a surprise. Im really looking forward to this one. It has fast and smooth combo based gameplay that should be awesome online and it seems like theres a ton of content to unlock. Not sure if its a day one for me, but it is on my must buy list for sure.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 05:25:19 PM »

podcast from gameinformer.

It sounds like an unreal amount of content and it also sounds like they did a great job of making this a legit fighter

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2011/04/21/special-edition-podcast-mortal-kombat.aspx

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »

Noob Saibot Fatality

Ouch.
Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 03:23:45 AM »

So did no one actually buy this great game?

I know most people here prefer Japanese-type fighters but this MK is really on that par, not to mention the insane amount of content.

Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 04:00:29 AM »

I'm getting it as soon as the price drops.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 05:37:46 AM »

I got it, I like it a lot so far.

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:07 PM »

I know most people here prefer Japanese-type fighters but this MK is really on that par, not to mention the insane amount of content.

A lot of people seem to be enjoying it quite a bit.  I'll be curious to see the numbers when they're out (maybe they already are).

Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 08:19:45 AM »

Got it yesterday. Good times.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »

A lot of people seem to be enjoying it quite a bit.  I'll be curious to see the numbers when they're out (maybe they already are).

UK chart:

01 (__) 360 Portal 2 (Electronic Arts)
02 (__) PS3 Mortal Kombat (Warner Bros. Interactive)
03 (__) 360 Mortal Kombat (Warner Bros. Interactive)
04 (__) PS3 Portal 2 (Electronic Arts)
05 (01) WII Zumba Fitness (505 Games)

Ireland

01 (__) Portal 2 (Electronic Arts)
02 (__) Mortal Kombat (Warner Bros. Interactive)
03 (01) Lego Star Wars Iii: The Clone Wars (Lucasarts)
04 (05) Pokemon White Version (Nintendo)
05 (04) Pokemon Black Version (Nintendo)

Netherlands:

01 (__) [PS3] Mortal Kombat
02 (__) [360] Mortal Kombat
03 (02) [NDS] Pokemon White (Nintendo)
04 (01) [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision)
05 (03) [NDS] Pokemon Black (Nintendo)

Seems to be doing fine in Europe, it didn't enter the top 5 in France though, data for the other big markets (Germany and Spain) isn't available yet.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 11:07:56 AM »

I'd buy it if I had a buddy that'd play w/ me in person a lot. sadly, all my buds live like 30 miles away

(i like online play, but not for fighters for some reason)

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »

The bf has got Mortal Kombat! :D Just waiting on him flying back tommorow so we can play it.

Squee!

Gonna get some Sindel action!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: