Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 587371 times)

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread Continued
« Reply #1845 on: October 20, 2016, 01:29:42 AM »
I've always shied away from those, but maybe I should give them a shot after all!

I'm reading As You Wish, which is Cary Elwes' book about the making of The Princess Bride, and it's awesome.  There are certainly behind-the-scenes stories I already knew, but also some I didn't, and really, it's just kind of about his experience, which are also interesting.  If you like that movie, this book (and of course the original book the movie is based on) is worth reading.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: October 21, 2016, 09:05:35 AM »
I find them entertaining.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: October 21, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
Took, I'm buying that for my wife right now, thanks.
Current RPG - Pokemon Sun, Atelier Rorona, Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1848 on: October 21, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about I am Legend. I originally was reading that book and then went to the audiobook when I was driving. I thought most of it was kind of dry. Got a little interesting when that woman came around. And I also have no idea if those little stories in the back of the book are part of the story or not. If it is I haven't finished it then.

Do you think part of the dryness may be due to the audiobook narrator?  As you know, I do audiobook narration on the side (5 to my credit with a 6th in the works) and when I hear some of the samples on Audible they can be wooden and dull, even in fiction.  I don't claim to be an ace narrator and I don't have that deep, smooth, rich voice every guy wants, but I try to be dynamic and engaging in my reads.
Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

thetrueelec

• View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: October 22, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »
So after a couple days I finally got my hand on the new Matthew Reilly book, The Four Legendary Kingdoms, earlier today. As expected from a Matthew Reilly book it was awesome. This was the fourth Jack West novel which for those who don't know are basically Indiana Jones stories turned up to 16. Saying pretty much anything about it would be a spoiler but if you want a story that's basically just an action movie without a budget then you should definitely check out this series.

missRPGirl

• Contributing Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: October 24, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about I am Legend. I originally was reading that book and then went to the audiobook when I was driving. I thought most of it was kind of dry. Got a little interesting when that woman came around. And I also have no idea if those little stories in the back of the book are part of the story or not. If it is I haven't finished it then.

Do you think part of the dryness may be due to the audiobook narrator?  As you know, I do audiobook narration on the side (5 to my credit with a 6th in the works) and when I hear some of the samples on Audible they can be wooden and dull, even in fiction.  I don't claim to be an ace narrator and I don't have that deep, smooth, rich voice every guy wants, but I try to be dynamic and engaging in my reads.

No because I was reading the book originally and then switched to the audiobook because I was driving so much. I think its just that story. A guy practically alone in a city, there's just not that much excitement.

I will say this about Richard Matheson though, when he wants to scare you or build suspense he does an excellent job at it.

From Richard Matheson I've also read What Dreams May Come and The Path.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: October 27, 2016, 06:14:29 PM »
Brandon Sanderson signed a huge movie deal for his books to be adapted p

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1852 on: October 27, 2016, 07:08:20 PM »

Do you think part of the dryness may be due to the audiobook narrator?  As you know, I do audiobook narration on the side (5 to my credit with a 6th in the works) and when I hear some of the samples on Audible they can be wooden and dull, even in fiction.  I don't claim to be an ace narrator and I don't have that deep, smooth, rich voice every guy wants, but I try to be dynamic and engaging in my reads.

No because I was reading the book originally and then switched to the audiobook because I was driving so much. I think its just that story. A guy practically alone in a city, there's just not that much excitement.

I will say this about Richard Matheson though, when he wants to scare you or build suspense he does an excellent job at it.

From Richard Matheson I've also read What Dreams May Come and The Path.

Gotcha!  

As for my book journal... I booked a narration job for a Pokemon children's book and will be in the studio tomorrow to start work on it.  

EDIT: First recording session (of 3-4_ for Pokemon GO: Diary of a Mewtwo is done!  This is definitely my most challenging audiobook narration and voiceover project, but easily the most enjoyable.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:42:31 AM by Dincrest »
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Rgeneb1

• View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: October 29, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »

I'm reading As You Wish, which is Cary Elwes' book about the making of The Princess Bride, and it's awesome.  ... this book (and of course the original book the movie is based on) is worth reading.

Until I read your post I had no idea this book existed, now I've just ordered it from my local library (I love online catalogues). Thanks for pointing me in its direction.
The originla book the movie was  based on is indeed worth reading, a modern classic and even funnier than the film. It pretends to be a translation of an older book. That joke however went way over my younger head and I spent many pre-internet years scouring second hand bookshops of an unabridged translation of the original. Insert your favourite facepalm pic here :)

Currently reading Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold, but reading slowly because there's only one more volume in the vorkosigan series to go after this.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: October 31, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »
Speaking of The Princess Bride, I'm just reading it for the first time now! I've seen the movie once, but not in many years so I barely remember what happens. Very much enjoying so far! Though Goldman's introduction was somewhat depressing, even if it isn't real.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: November 01, 2016, 04:44:16 AM »
I'm alive and just checking in to see what y'all are reading. I'm only reading books for the PhD right now. I was reading Crown of Kings but my workload at school became too much and I had to put it aside. I'll get back to doing some recreational reading during my winter break.

Also, Yoda, I saw that Brandon Sanderson movie deal news. Sounds like the production company is wanting to do Way of Kings. I haven't read it yet, but I'm unsure that they could do such a huge novel justice in even 3.5 hours. The LotR movies barely could cram in all the detail from the books and they were significantly shorter. In fact, I think all three combined are probably shorter than Way of Kings.

Now Mistborn movies I can definitely get behind.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 18, 2016, 12:07:06 PM »
Im about 68% done with the icewind dale trilogy. Not bad popcorn type quick stuff.

If you folk are into nice edition things, check out the penguin galaxy box set. I got it and it is beautiful

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1857 on: November 18, 2016, 03:51:17 PM »
Aside from a bunch of samples to find my next epic fantasy read, I finished that Pokemon audiobook narration, so technically the last book I read was "Pokemon GO: Diary of a Mewtwo" by Isabel Jones. 

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 19, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »
Congrats on the book!  Cool to know your name's next to something out there in Audible that a bunch of people will probably listen to.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1859 on: November 19, 2016, 12:36:07 PM »
Thanks! And I can legit say that I got to be a Mewtwo.

EDIT: As for the journal, I'm still trying to figure out what my next read will be.  Pleasure read, not audiobook. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 02:38:46 PM by Dincrest »