Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2016, 01:28:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
244694 Posts in 7323 Topics by 2386 Members
Latest Member: Richard111
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 535031 times)
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: July 17, 2016, 12:37:22 PM »

I've been reading the iron Druid series.  I'm getting close to the end of book 6, and I just learned that book 9 will be the last in the series, which I think is a good thing.  I like the series, and I like that in each book, they finish up a conflict while leaving it clear that it's only part of a longer fight... but I'm ready for that fight to be the central thing and get resolved.

I feed like it's weird
Code:
how strongly Atticus changed to hating Leif.  I thought they were buds, they went on a mission that went about how it could have been expected... and then all of a sudden, Atticus was like "You are the worst, Leif.  We've never been friends."  I wonder if I missed something.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1816 on: July 21, 2016, 01:58:59 PM »

I finished Firefight yesterday. While I thought Steelheart was just okay, I really enjoyed Firefight. I'm glad I gave it a chance. It wasn't knock your socks off by any means, and it relied on some tropes that I didn't like, but overall I thought it was pretty good.

After finishing I decided, what the heck, and started Calamity, the last book in the series. I'm reading the ebook and it doesn't have page numbers, but it says I'm about 30% into it.
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1817 on: July 22, 2016, 09:06:18 AM »

Misery: Fantastic but there is a part where the main character, a popular author, decries the use of deus ex machina. Really, Stephen?! Loved it though

Also started Heart of Darkness but that's no t an easy read
Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 22, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »

Glad you liked Firefight, Jimmy.  I thought Calamity was a satisfying end to the series.

Yoda, I like to think that King is aware enough of his problems writing endings to mock himself. :)

I stumbled across a book called "The Stench of Honolulu" by Jack Handey, known to me as the author of Deep Thoughts, from SNL.  It cost me $1, which felt like a worthwhile gamble.  It was... basically a short novel-length Deep Thought.  Funny, weird, and dumb all at the same time.  I won't run around recommending it to everyone, but I wouldn't tell people to stay away.  If you think you might like it, you probably will.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6JJ6C8/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

If you don't know Deep Thoughts, they were things like this:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/deep-thoughts-1/2859832

or this:

—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1819 on: July 22, 2016, 04:49:04 PM »

Lol what a funny coincidence. I just re-bought all the deep thoughts books ( had them in hs) and I got the stench of Honolulu too
Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 23, 2016, 01:06:18 AM »

Nice - let me know what you think when you read it.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1821 on: July 23, 2016, 09:07:20 AM »

If you like weird humor stories check out Death Rat! By Mike Nelson of MST3K fame. Just a weird story but I remember laughing my way through it
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1822 on: July 23, 2016, 08:11:55 PM »

I started re-reading The Dark Tower again in (oh so slight) anticipation of the movie.  I don't give a fuck what Stephen King says or how many times he says it, the original version of "The Gunslinger" is a far different and a far superior book when  compared to the "revised and expanded" version you see in stores these days.  The newer version might fit in better with the rest of the series, but it lacks the raw vitality that is so fundamental to the success of King's early work.

It's still good, but if you like the version you find at Books-A-Million or whatnot, you owe it to yourself to pick up an original version from a used book store.

Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1823 on: July 25, 2016, 05:00:39 PM »

For all the faults I loved the Dark Tower series. There is some really dumb shit in there but as usual, King creates fantastic and endearing characters. I dont ever recall running across an original Gunslinger, though. I will look for it...

Currently reading Xenocide and it is pretty great. I dont care if it is action packed or not it goes into some pretty excellent directions.... So far
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

Lanterne Rouge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1824 on: July 25, 2016, 05:08:45 PM »

About 500 pages into Words of Radiance and keeping Guardians Inc.: The Cypher as my "palate cleanser" book. 

The former is... epic and the latter is a fun read, though there were a few little things that made me suspend my disbelief (like talking about "recess" during a high school day.  I can understand some high schools have a common "lunch 'n learn" free period mid-day, but recess?) 

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: July 26, 2016, 12:09:58 AM »

I'm partway through The Aeronaut's Windlass - the steampunk book by the author of the Dresden Files series.  He made up more words than he needed to, but it's enjoyable.

—Kurt Vonnegut
missRPGirl
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1826 on: July 28, 2016, 07:08:50 PM »

Starting a new book, Damascus Nights.

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: