Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2016, 01:18:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
248385 Posts in 7447 Topics by 2389 Members
Latest Member: FenixDrakken
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 557849 times)
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: August 10, 2016, 12:53:20 AM »

OK, whew - that makes me feel better.  Would have been too much coincidence otherwise. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1831 on: August 12, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »

I finished Calamity on the move. I thought it was good, but the climax and ending seemed kind of rushed. While I liked some of the plot twists, it didn't have any real answers as to what was going on in the world itself.

Code:
Like, where did Calamity exactly come from and why?

I heard his next YA series may have the ties to the Reckoners, so maybe there will be some answers there.

Anyway, I figured I had enough time before school starts to read Game of Thrones. So, that's what I'm reading now. Figured I'd see what all the fuss is about.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

Lanterne Rouge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1832 on: September 03, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »

About 500 pages into Words of Radiance and keeping Guardians Inc.: The Cypher as my "palate cleanser" book. 

The former is... epic and the latter is a fun read, though there were a few little things that made me suspend my disbelief (like talking about "recess" during a high school day.  I can understand some high schools have a common "lunch 'n learn" free period mid-day, but recess?) 

A part of me is thinking of throwing in the towel on Words of Radiance.  The book is excellent and I love me some epic fantasy, but I haven't read it in weeks and have no motivation to.  I realize that I don't have the time or mental energy to dedicate to that level of epic fantasy.  I'm more motivated to read my "palate cleanser" book (Guardians Inc.: The Cypher by Julian Rosado-Machain) because I realize those are the type of books I have the time, motivation, and mental energy to commit to.  I think the Alloy of Law Mistborn books may be more my pace, and that's cool because Sanderson. 

A part of me feels guilty about wanting to abandon Words of Radiance, but I think about my aunt who's a retired geriatric psychiatrist (who still does some consulting at her hospital).  Because her job was so mentally taxing and draining, she never wanted to read anything too cerebral.  She just wanted to let her brain relax.  I don't claim that my job is as mentally taxing as that, but working in special education is psychologically draining in its own right.  It's like, if I'm already sore from weightlifting that day, the last thing I want to do is exercise that night. 

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: September 04, 2016, 01:32:58 PM »

I read The Strain, by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.  It was fine, but when I realized it was planned as a trilogy, I knew I wouldn't actually finish that trilogy.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1834 on: September 07, 2016, 06:25:09 PM »

Started a non-fic book club on goodreads (that also meets in person around these parts).  The first book is A War Like No Other by Victor Davis Hanson. If anyone is actually interested message me (doubtful), it's about the Peloponnesian War.

Apparently it's tough to get people jazzed about reading history.

Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1835 on: September 25, 2016, 01:33:04 PM »

So i finished Xenocide and that book started out great but just ended up being garbage at the end. Too much inner monologue and characters would endlessly repeat themselves. They would have pages of them "thinking" about something followed by goofy arguments between all the main characters and this would repeat over and over. It is maddening.

Started Star Wars Aftermath, but that seemed awful so I stopped.

Now Im about halfway through Frankenstein and that is excellent. It really is a stark contrast to all the bad Frankenstein monster movies Ive been exposed to over the years
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1836 on: September 26, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »

I finished Game of Thrones a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it, but not for the story, which I found to be pretty mediocre. What gave me the most enjoyment is actually the world GRRM has created. It's a fascinating world and I kept wanting to see more and more of it. I love the settings, the various peoples, and etc. I also found the characters interesting, if not entirely lovable. And even though I didn't care either way for the story, GRRM is pretty deft at handling multiple viewpoints and still progressing the story.

After finishing I read Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. It was blissfully short, and had some humor despite Steinbeck's usual seriousness. I really enjoyed it, especially after GoT. It was kind of a palate cleanser, as Dincrest calls them.

Now I'm reading Clash of Kings, but grad school is in full swing now and my time is limited, so it will probably take a while for me to get through it.

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: