Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 01:37:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327806 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Anxiety and Terror in games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Anxiety and Terror in games  (Read 4552 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:18:40 AM »

I'm sitting here listening to the tristram village theme from diablo and it reminded me of the butcher encounter early on in that game. Now when that game came out I was 14 and no stranger to games of all sorts and horribly violent movies. But something about that just scared the living crap out of me, especially the way line of site works in that game. Open that door and you get a glimpse of that guy storming around the room.

AHHH FRESH MEAT

Well of course, it's supposed to be a bit scary. But being anxious about a game has happened plenty of times.

Most recently it's big action titles. Games like Dead Space for example. I've had that game for a few months now and haven't made it past chapter 2. I fucking love it. I think the anxiety comes from not knowing exactly how I'm going to get my ass handed to me in that game. It also does a damn good job of making me feel isolated and vulnerable.

Also this happens in non-scary games as well. I was just playing Sonic 1 the other day and doing the robotnik battle in labyrinth zone. The ever rising water and trying to dodge shit left me a nervous wreck lol.

Does anyone else experience this at times?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »

I love the village theme in Diablo - reallyy atmospheric for the hell-tossed work of, well, Diablo.

Hmmm... I remember playing Clocktower - I haateeee being chased!!!!  Any title that involves a chase would scare me (hence why I watched someone else play Haunting Ground....the dog was the greatest thing they could have added though).

Being young and playing Silent Hill's "rust world" sent me off to be scared in bed.  I couldn't even imagine living like that for an hour much less have pyramid head want to do something awful to me.

Not a game, but these books' illustrations also scared the bejesus out of a younger me.  Anyone else read these?? Haha

More in line with "anxiety", Mario titles started to piss me off; maybe I just suck with the controls, but sometimes the game read what I wanted to do as a side-jump in the Mario-Abyss instead. 
I don't know... maybe I just suck dick at Mario titles, but I found some of the stars...suns... golden-whatevers not worth it and an absolute headache to even bother.

I hated RE5's "hard mode", which just made me paranoid to take damage - there was no "extra challenge" other than "avoid zombie assholes".

Stress in "games" is otherwise pretty much against the fun of it all.  I like a challenge, I don't like it raising blood pressure.  Any dumbass who's thrown a remote or broke a TV in some rage deserves a gunshot to the toe.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:47:43 AM »

I love the village theme in Diablo - reallyy atmospheric for the hell-tossed work of, well, Diablo.

Hmmm... I remember playing Clocktower - I haateeee being chased!!!!  Any title that involves a chase would scare me (hence why I watched someone else play Haunting Ground....the dog was the greatest thing they could have added though).

Being young and playing Silent Hill's "rust world" sent me off to be scared in bed.  I couldn't even imagine living like that for an hour much less have pyramid head want to do something awful to me.

Not a game, but these books' illustrations also scared the bejesus out of a younger me.  Anyone else read these?? Haha

More in line with "anxiety", Mario titles started to piss me off; maybe I just suck with the controls, but sometimes the game read what I wanted to do as a side-jump in the Mario-Abyss instead. 
I don't know... maybe I just suck dick at Mario titles, but I found some of the stars...suns... golden-whatevers not worth it and an absolute headache to even bother.

I have that book!

Also Mario 2 - that thing that chases you when you pick up the key always freaked me out.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:49:02 AM »

Oh god I hate chase sequences in games too. I can't think of one that freaked me out right now but something similar is Friday the 13th for NES.

You'd be chillin in some cabin then *LOUD NOISE* Jason is there and murders your ass.

Plus the whole game kids are getting killed. I remember playing that as a kid and thinking it was scary/odd that this game was based around kids getting murdered. This wasn't goombas or ninjas and that freaked me out a bit.

Of course now I look at it and go "what a terrible... terrible game."

Those pictures are freaky. Again, when I was a youngin my cousins all had garbage pail kid cards. They disturbed me

Now they're just a grosser version of edward gorey's stuff.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:01:22 AM »

Shmups make me go "OH SHIT OH SHIT SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIIIIIIIIIT" each time I play one.
Most recently this battle except that person makes it look easy.
Bosses in fighting games (especially ones in SSBM) make me do that too.
I watched my sister play N64 games (mostly Zelda) and it felt like I was watching a survival horror game and that ghost story brought it back.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:35:36 AM »

I hate underwater swimming sequences in games.  HATE them. I get really worked up doing that stuff because I almost always lose my way and drown.  Probably the reason I've never finished a Tomb Raider game.  It makes me wonder why I bought that Hydrophobia game over LIVE.  I thought it was great up unit I had to do that swimming shit.  I also get stressed out with the chase sequences in games.  The one that jumps to mind immediately was RE3. I was glad when that one was over.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:40:56 AM »

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBpWn0j8A-0
you have died of dysentery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GH0-hr1u_k

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:10:40 AM »

I hate fire levels because typically the floor can kill you and that's no good. Concrete example: Fire Temple made me quit playing OoT for YEARS. I then completed in the notorious Water Temple in like 40 minutes.

Additionally the fire area in Metroid Prime made me stop playing it.

I also hate the swimming bits in quake although that's probably because they remind me of the shitty goddamn flooded caves in Daggerfall. God, daggerfall, RUINING EVERYTHING. It's actually less to do with being flooded and more to do with being really dark and murky. I think it's the visual distortion that bugs me.

also the endless feelings of regret I guet from Spelunky.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:55:03 AM »

Ahhhh!
Those books scared the shit out of me when I was a kid!!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »

I played through Dead Space 2 on Hardcore. That gave me more than a few white hairs.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »

Scariest fucking game in the world? Taboo for the NES.

http://www.nesplayer.com/features/taboo/index.htm

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:32:19 AM »

I've never been a fan of games with count-down timers [visible or not] in which you die when it reaches zero. Games I can think of are The very last bit of Power Rangers the Movie Game for SNES, S.O.S., Sonic the hedgehog underwater levels, ect. Underwater level are a huge NO for me as well. I'm willing to play in disbelieve, that I can breathe underwater.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »

This! I mean, Clocktower. I think I played the third game with my little sister... running away from a sledge-hammer wielding juggernaut, that shit terrifies me. Less so now but it still makes a game exhilarating.

My sibs and I have a weakness for horror games. It's nice to be scared when we're all together. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »

I'll say one thing:

Play System Shock 2

It is one of the best anxiety terror game I've ever seen. I have a friend who refuses to play that game ever again from the trauma he had in a 3 player multiplayer game we did. (story below, because it is hilarious)

Why is it so scary?
- Very scarce ammo (you melee a lot with a wrench)
- If caught by surprise, enemies mess you up easily
- Totally random respawns
- You can hear enemies from far, but doesn't help finding WHERE they are.

My friend died, and you get to respawn in that game. He's coming back to us, but then my traumatized friend sees something turning the corner, panics and proceeds to empty his clip at it. Friend dies again. We laugh, and he's on his way back again. Traumatized friend sees something turning the corner AGAIN, panics and guts it down. We're rolling on the floor at this point and the guy leaves the game, never to play it again.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »

Clock Tower, you guys playing snes or playstation?

My friend died, and you get to respawn in that game. He's coming back to us, but then my traumatized friend sees something turning the corner, panics and proceeds to empty his clip at it. Friend dies again. We laugh, and he's on his way back again. Traumatized friend sees something turning the corner AGAIN, panics and guts it down. We're rolling on the floor at this point and the guy leaves the game, never to play it again.

Oh god that's funny. That reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loSzpvq73FY

(over dramatic but funny at times)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: