Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:11:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327445 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Anxiety and Terror in games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Anxiety and Terror in games  (Read 4549 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »

Things that make me a little anxious in games:

A timed escape sequence. Unless I KNOW I can clear the area in time, it just adds more pressure. Especially when the place is falling part - Super Metroid, I'm looking at you.

Being chased. Digital Devil Saga 2 and the Jailer in particular was nerve racking, and he was creepy to begin with. The whole meat processing thing was on the icky side. Those games are not for the weak of stomach. The chase isn't always that freaky though - the part in Nocturne where Dante is chasing you isn't even bad. Then again, I love the guy and wanted to recruit him anyway.

Another one I discovered the other day that I don't always like: Sneaking around. Which isn't always bad - I LOVE sniping, but I found that during a particular mission/spec op in Modern Warfare 1/2, the whole evasion thing is more of a pain when I get noticed because of those damn dogs. I hate them.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »

I wussed out heavily on Fatal Frame one. At first, I wondered what's the big deal about it, since I heard a lot of things about it, but eventually, I began to freak out. I don't shout or do anything of that sort. Instead, I just have a lot of inner turmoil, and my heartbeat jumps A LOT in random moments. What got to me in the game when I open the door, and sometimes, the door suddenly pops in or, I walk around hearing nothing but footsteps, and a ghost pops out from a wall and attacks me. I couldn't get far in chapter 2 at that point.

I borrowed my friends copy of Silent Hill 2 and 3 a while ago. I heard great things about the series, and never played them before, but wonder if I should try to eventually. I do freak out a bit easily, and have a bit of a glass heart to horror games with very heavy atmosphere. :P

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »

I wanted to play system shock 2 so bad...
Fantasmagoria.
I was not ready...

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 06:32:52 PM »

This is my experience with Silent Hill 2:

"Oh hey this look identical to my home town. Well the scuttling zombies crawling out from under cars is sort of different but whatever. Oh look abandoned apartment buildings this is even MORE like my home town. What's this? A giant pyramid headed monster? Well that really IS different!"

And then 2007 happened and SH2 was TOTALLY identical to my home town.

@ SS2:

- Very scarce ammo (you melee a lot with a wrench)

I have to admit that I found that and weapon breakage more annoying than anything. I'm also not a fan of the RPG elements in SS2 because they just felt really tacked on.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 07:05:08 PM »

In the last level of Manhunt there's a guy with a pig head and a chainsaw chasing you all over the place. He's really fast and makes this really weird sound. That section was pretty tense for me.

The first time I played the underwater sections of sonic and was running out of air. God that countdown music really got to me.

Playing dead space for the first time was pretty tense for me. Sometimes I would think that I was save because I had my back to the wall, turns out that wall had a vent... Sometimes it would be the ceiling or the ground. Motherfuckers got the jump on me a lot of times.
I made them my bitches in DS2 though.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »

Things that make me a little anxious in games:

A timed escape sequence. Unless I KNOW I can clear the area in time, it just adds more pressure. Especially when the place is falling part - Super Metroid, I'm looking at you.

Being chased. Digital Devil Saga 2 and the Jailer in particular was nerve racking, and he was creepy to begin with. The whole meat processing thing was on the icky side. Those games are not for the weak of stomach. The chase isn't always that freaky though - the part in Nocturne where Dante is chasing you isn't even bad. Then again, I love the guy and wanted to recruit him anyway.

Haha I had problems with these two things too. 

I hate timed sequences, there's a lot of pressure to meet the time limit as (being a game) pass obstacles in the way.  FF6 I think instilled this in me, the Opera part is long, without save points, and pretty tight unless you avoid some of the enemies in the upper stage area.  Super Metroid didn't help...

I hated being chased, as I said, but yeah, forgot to mention the DDS2 part; I remember escaping him within an inch of the door, I needed a good 5 second breather before I moved again - that part was really frustrating!!

Also, with mention to hydrophobia.  I hated the N64 Mario water levels, especially the one that pokes it's head out - it's teeth, and any of those deep-sea ones with the gigantic saber teeth, terrify me.  Then Banjo Kazooie came along shortly after with the shark fucker when you're in certain waters.  What a mean/uneccessary addition...

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »

How about the sun level in mario 3 and the one water stage w/ the giant fish?

Those were fucked
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 09:03:05 PM »

One thing that actually terrifies me is deep spaces. Dying from explosive decompression because my suit ruptured in the cold black darkness of space had been a recurring nightmare for me for a while.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 08:13:40 AM »

I've never enjoyed water levels either, especially as someone who is scared of swimming pools in real life :P

There is a swimming pool near where I live that my dad took me to when I was younger, and it had the creepiest shit ever in it. It's called the time capsule, and it has got dinosaurs coming out of the water and shit, but there was one in particular that always scared me. It was this giant red sea serpent thing that moves and sprays water at you.

So now I can't swim in deep water because I think there is a giant sea serpent in there with me and it is going to eat me :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »

- Very scarce ammo (you melee a lot with a wrench)

I have to admit that I found that and weapon breakage more annoying than anything. I'm also not a fan of the RPG elements in SS2 because they just felt really tacked on.

Opposite here. If you always had perfect weapons and tons of ammo, this game would be a lot less scary (hello Dead Space).
That you need to decide if an encounter is worth using bullets/degrade weapons or just try to melee it is pure gold.

The RPG elements basically allow you to shape your character, which is a very interesting mechanic. For example, I always played a hacker/stealth character but my other friend loved psionics because there wasn't weapon degradation. We both got to play the game as we wanted.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »

the scariest game i've ever played is eternal darkness. i remember a time when a friend told me to examine a bathtub in this one room.....i dont think i EVER entered that room again! then theres the various wtf moments. like one time with the fire fighter dude i'm like sweet because there was ammo all over the ground but it was just a halucination...

also the first time i played silent hill i stopped playing at the school piano puzzle. and judging by the movie i think that was a good place to stop...

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »

So now I can't swim in deep water because I think there is a giant sea serpent in there with me and it is going to eat me :P

Seems to be a lot of that going on up there.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »

A lot of sea serpents?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 03:53:41 AM »

By far, the scariest video game of all time.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 04:43:40 PM »

Silent Hill scared the shit out of me when I was like 10 years old.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: