Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I made a game: Castle on the Night Land
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: I made a game: Castle on the Night Land  (Read 5114 times)
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »

Tell me if you'd like some music made for the game: I do chiptunes in my spare time. Might as well make them for a real game! :P

I have fury!
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »

So to the people who've been playing this, is it good/ worth the time?

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »

Congrats on completing a game, Ive been trying to make one for years and still havent gotten anything done. Mind expanding on what the "OHRRPGCE engine" is?

It's game making software written in FreeBasic back in 1998 (maybe?). Without scripting, it allows the user to make RPGS highly reminiscent of the SNES Final Fantasy games. With scripting, you can make all kinds of things. It has built-in editors for making sprites. It runs in the native resoltuion 320 x 240. It's very easy to begin using if you aren't interested in complicated scripted.

Tell me if you'd like some music made for the game: I do chiptunes in my spare time. Might as well make them for a real game! :P

I'd love it! Do you have some samples of your work? I'm imagining something discordant/borderline irritating, but also highly moody. The trick is, the music must be written as a MIDI.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:18:28 PM by Willy Elektrix » Logged
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »

I'll send you something tomorrow, I'm not at my place right now, and they're on my computer. I can only make .WAV and .NSF files, but I'll check if I can do something about MIDIs.

I have fury!
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »

Congrats on completing a game, Ive been trying to make one for years and still havent gotten anything done. Mind expanding on what the "OHRRPGCE engine" is?

It's game making software written in FreeBasic back in 1998 (maybe?). Without scripting, it allows the user to make RPGS highly reminiscent of the SNES Final Fantasy games. With scripting, you can make all kinds of things. It has built-in editors for making sprites. It runs in the native resoltuion 320 x 240.\

That sounds awesome. Is it easy to use?

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »

Been looking for a good free RPG making tool. Im currently giving sphere a shot, but Ill have to give this one a try as well.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 08:21:18 PM »

iirc the main problem with OHRRPGCE is that it's sort of limited in terms of users adding their own status effects?

Maxximum, my personal favorite game maker is megazeux, which is rather archaic but also rather... well, you can do a lot with it if you try. The main and glaring limitation is the visuals, which are limited to 2 color editted ascii characters (although you can make them four colors if your want using... some... different rendering mode although only one guy from Quebec was ever really good at it from what I remember).

VERGE is another option if you want something really geared towards RPGs, I guess? No idea how developed it really ever got.

Game Maker and Constructs are other big ones. Construct is totally free but apparently might still have some weird glitches.

Lots of people use Flixel with some kind of freeware flash IDE.

---edit---

Oh huh, Verge apparently lets you use Lua for scripting. Worth checking out for that, I'd think. Lua's a really nice language. Not quite as awesome as Common Lisp but it's close.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:33:46 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 11:40:17 PM »

No mention of RPGMaker? Figured that would be a shoe-in.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 02:58:59 AM »

RPGMaker costs a lot of money and sort of sucks. I think the only reason people still use it is because it has some sort of culture behind it. idk, game maker is 40 dollars cheaper and a lot better, and pretty much everything else is free. Verge uses Lua so there's no doubt at all in my mind that it's more feature rich and usable.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 03:05:00 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 09:58:39 AM »

Dont really want to derail this topic with more talk about makers (but hey, at least its keeping his game bumped). Maybe Ill just start a seperate thread about game creation tools later.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »

iirc the main problem with OHRRPGCE is that it's sort of limited in terms of users adding their own status

The status effects in OHRRPGCE are regenerate, poison, and stun. You can change attacks through a variety of options to do lots of things though. For instance, lower/raise attributes (simulating buffs and debuffs) and drain life. By chaining attacks together you can do even more.

Sure, it's limited but if you're creative you can still make very interesting encounters. Honestly, most old school RPGs have really boring encounters. Monsters are limited to hitting one, hitting the whole party, or healing. OHRRPGCE is much more flexible than that.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 01:26:52 AM »

Okay I just found a /huge/ bug.

If you save in the catacombs it is really easy to accidentally save next to an enemy spawn point. Meaning you die instantly on reloading. Meaning your save is unwinnable.

:(

o/` I do not dream o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 08:46:26 AM »

Okay I just found a /huge/ bug.

If you save in the catacombs it is really easy to accidentally save next to an enemy spawn point. Meaning you die instantly on reloading. Meaning your save is unwinnable.

:(

Oh shit. I can set it so that it remembers NPC positions when you save or leave the room, although that brings up a a whole host of other problems (especially in the Catacombs). Maybe I should disable saves in rooms with enemies? Hmm. Tricky. Let me do some thinking about this.

In your opinion, how do you feel about the items being hidden inside piles of bones in the Catacombs. Are they too hard to notice? Should I just use regular old chests that might be more obvious?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:48:33 AM by Willy Elektrix » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »

No, the bone piles were plenty obvious. IIRC I'm not sure I immediately identified them as bone piles but they looked like hidden caches regardless.

Wily, can you stick a script on the tile right next to the door/entrance to a level that resets the NPC positions, but otherwise have the game save NPC locations when changing levels? That should cause NPC positions to reset when you /actually/ level or enter the level but not when loading from a save.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 09:32:35 PM »

Wily, can you stick a script on the tile right next to the door/entrance to a level that resets the NPC positions, but otherwise have the game save NPC locations when changing levels? That should cause NPC positions to reset when you /actually/ level or enter the level but not when loading from a save.

Possibly. Let me see what I can figure out.

My intent is to possibly have some music made for this game, implement your suggestions, and then put out a new version of the game in a couple of weeks. So keep coming with ideas and fixes, they are very important at this stage in development. I can't thank you enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: