Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:30:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330153 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I made a game: Castle on the Night Land
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: I made a game: Castle on the Night Land  (Read 4994 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:56:40 PM »

For those that might be interested, I've written another game using the OHRRPGCE engine. This one is a an old school adventure game with mazes, inventory puzzles, and monochrome graphics. The premise is that you are mysteriously transported to a decrepit castle crawling with undead monsters and must devise a means to escape. Depending on how clever you are, it can be beaten in an hour or so. It's very much inspired by the old DOS game Castle Adventure.

You can download the game and view some screen shots here:
http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=4023

Send me any typos, bugs, or feedback. Thanks for playing!
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:37:39 PM »

Will it work on a Windows 7? Last time I tried to get a game made with the engine (Sword of Jade,) to work on my old XP, the game kept bugging up at every turn, and I'm pretty sure that this was due to incompatibility with the system, and not the game itself.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »

Will it work on a Windows 7? Last time I tried to get a game made with the engine (Sword of Jade,) to work on my old XP, the game kept bugging up at every turn, and I'm pretty sure that this was due to incompatibility with the system, and not the game itself.

I don't know about Windows 7, but it should run fine in XP. I'm sorry that I'm not able to be more helpful.
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »

Gosh, it's hard! I always get killed but that crazy skeleton...

I have fury!
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »

I'll have to give this a download and see what's up.  Just curious, how long did it take you to develop the game?  I've been looking to get into this sort of thing.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:59:05 PM »

Sword of Jade

I think Sword of Jade is made with the dos version of ORGPPRHGPRG and might need dosbox to run. IDK I'll go ask the guy that made it.

---edit---

Okay nevermind Paul didn't make Sword of JAde some of his friends did, w/e. I remember having a hard time getting it to work too so I think the game itself maybe had issues.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:00:56 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:23:50 AM »

"He wraps his boney claws wrap around your throat." <- Typo

Hidden staircase is sort of poorly indicated and i only found it by bumping into it by accident.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:41:22 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 09:16:07 AM »

Gosh, it's hard! I always get killed but that crazy skeleton...

Hint: You need a weapon. Or are you joking? I'm not sure actually.

I'll have to give this a download and see what's up.  Just curious, how long did it take you to develop the game?  I've been looking to get into this sort of thing.

About 2 months time. Probably around 80 hours, I'm guessing. It's not very big either. You should start. I'm really getting into making games myself. It's very satisfying.

"He wraps his boney claws wrap around your throat." <- Typo

Hidden staircase is sort of poorly indicated and i only found it by bumping into it by accident.

I'll fix the typo next update I make. Thanks! I knew I could count on you.

About the hidden staircase, the statue looks a little different from the others, but maybe I should make it much different? Did other people have trouble finding it?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:20:04 AM by Willy Elektrix » Logged
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »

Sword of Jade

I think Sword of Jade is made with the dos version of ORGPPRHGPRG and might need dosbox to run. IDK I'll go ask the guy that made it.

---edit---

Okay nevermind Paul didn't make Sword of JAde some of his friends did, w/e. I remember having a hard time getting it to work too so I think the game itself maybe had issues.

Thanks. It's not a priority right now, but at some point, I'll just have to try it on my Windows 7 myself.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »

I did notice that the statue looked different after the fact but it didn't look... I don't know it didn't look MEANINGFULLY different. Staircases tend to go up or down so if it's weapon was facing the opposite direction of everyone else's that might've helped a little -- sort of like a "go down here" thing.

I've also noticed that enemies tend to keep moving a bit after text boxes come up. It looks like they're just completing an already started move. I haven't played with OHRPGCCECEHCEHE in years so I dunno if you even CAN make them stop *right away* but it might be a good idea if possible.

I like that basically everything you bump into gives some kind of message. I like the completely black-and-white spritework. There's this really nice, mysterious kind of Jet Set Willy thing going on.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:57:51 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »

Works fine here, Windows 7 64-bit.

Navigating the dark basement is not fun, though.  Otherwise, it is cool how everything has a description.  It's like a reverse MUD.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »

I did notice that the statue looked different after the fact but it didn't look... I don't know it didn't look MEANINGFULLY different. Staircases tend to go up or down so if it's weapon was facing the opposite direction of everyone else's that might've helped a little -- sort of like a "go down here" thing.

I've also noticed that enemies tend to keep moving a bit after text boxes come up. It looks like they're just completing an already started move. I haven't played with OHRPGCCECEHCEHE in years so I dunno if you even CAN make them stop *right away* but it might be a good idea if possible.

I'll edit that sprite on the statue in the next update. Thanks for the advice. Movement is tile based so there is no way to make them stop instantaneously.

Works fine here, Windows 7 64-bit.

Navigating the dark basement is not fun, though.  Otherwise, it is cool how everything has a description.  It's like a reverse MUD.

Hint: There's an extremely useful Torch hidden in the courtyard. I never imagined anyone would try to do the basement in the dark. It's big! Here I was thinking I made the game too easy.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 12:55:16 AM »

Oh. Still really early on I guess but there were one or two instances where I thought something would work but didn't. In particular:

Code:
I sort of thought the sword would be for bashing that one statue. No idea what actually DOES bash it yet, as I'm not really there, but maybe changing the broken statue's message to indicate that, say, the sword isn't strong enough to break it would help (unless you already do this and I'm too blind to notice/dyslexic/stupid). This isn't really a HUGE deal since it's not something that I thought had a massive chance of working but sometimes anticipating a player's false attempts and giving them a "Good idea but not quite" in response is nice.

Also, the ghost conversation. I thought that was fine until the VERY last part, where she asks if you want to spend eternity together or something. SOMETHING about how it was worded made it sound like agreeing to that would've led to you spending eternity together with her -- right then and there. Maybe that was the intent, I dunno. In general insta-death things like that are sort of frowned upon. Maybe a fourth option if you guess wrong where you can recover?

Those are pretty minor nitpicks though, really. Basically I like what you're doing a lot and I think if you could give it a certain level of perfectitude you could really get a lot of people interested.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »

Oh. Still really early on I guess but there were one or two instances where I thought something would work but didn't. In particular:

Those are pretty minor nitpicks though, really. Basically I like what you're doing a lot and I think if you could give it a certain level of perfectitude you could really get a lot of people interested.

Those are both good ideas, especially concerning the ghost conversation (I really like the idea of the 4th box). It is my intent to implement them both. Did you ever figure out what tool to break the statue with? There are also a few read herrings - things that hint about being broken or manipulated, but cannot be.

I think the trickiest part of the game is the Catacombs. Has anyone made it down there yet and figured out its secrets?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:07:09 AM by Willy Elektrix » Logged
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »

Congrats on completing a game, Ive been trying to make one for years and still havent gotten anything done. Mind expanding on what the "OHRRPGCE engine" is?

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: