Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 10:08:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327921 Posts in 13426 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PSone Classics PSN rpgs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: PSone Classics PSN rpgs  (Read 28923 times)
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 08:12:43 PM »

I just finished listening to the soundtrack to Legend of Mana for the 20th time and it gets better and better after each listen :)

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »

Alright! I just read that Legend of Mana is coming! KEEP UP THE FLOW SE!!!!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »

Alright! I just read that Legend of Mana is coming! KEEP UP THE FLOW SE!!!!

This reminds me...

So. Let's talk about Final Fantasy XIII.

It can't have eluded Square Enix's notice that Final Fantasy's mojo has been in perpetual decline since 1997. Final Fantasy VII is still widely regarded as Square's best game and the high point of the Final Fantasy series, and the undying rumors of a PS3 remake still tend to excite fans much more than any new games Square Enix might announce. It doesn't take much business savvy to figure out that it isn't a good sign for the health of your franchise when your fans are still more interested in what you were doing thirteen years ago than any of your current projects.

from Final Fantasy XIII: The World Is Square Tube

This was written last year, and is still true.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:13:24 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »

LoM was my favorite RPG when I was younger but now I pretty much hate it. There's no challenge and the combat's tedious as fuck. Especially later on when enemies have more HP since you're just hammering on them while they never actually attack you. They also respawn when you leave the map segment you're in. And the dungeons are all pretty mazelike and constructed of identical looking rooms so you backtrack a looooooooooooooooooooot.

also the music, despite being really good, gets kind of annoying in game because there's only like two or three dungeon tracks and they get used everywhere.

LoM has a good idea and I love the story but there's nothing about the gameplay that isn't irreparably broken.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 10:52:20 PM »

Great point! I can't remember any SE "masterpiece" form last years (Well, DQIX was great but it's the only one I can think of)... I tend to think that Atlus pretty much replaced SE today. They have the successful SMT series with a quality standard, and they still release some standalone gems like Radiant Historia. I'm really excited about their latest projects, whereas I buy SE releases almost only out of respect for their glorious past :P

I have fury!
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »

Great point! I can't remember any SE "masterpiece" form last years (Well, DQIX was great but it's the only one I can think of)... I tend to think that Atlus pretty much replaced SE today. They have the successful SMT series with a quality standard, and they still release some standalone gems like Radiant Historia. I'm really excited about their latest projects, whereas I buy SE releases almost only out of respect for their glorious past :P

That is a terrible reason to buy a video game...so you pretty much stated you are rewarding them for any bullshit they release due to the fact that they were once on top of the RPG franchise...
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 04:52:45 AM »

I buy SE releases almost only out of respect for their glorious past :P

I swear to God that I don't understand this way of thinking. Why would you do that?

Anyway, Mesh's impressions on the game are making me think twice lol.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »

Since we're talking about Square, you might want to know that "they are ready".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-17-square-enix-expanding-for-new-consoles

"The new consoles from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will require more attention and more staff," commented Eidos Montreal boss Stephane d'Astous. "We want to prepare ourselves."

Hell yeah, expect all the big SE franchises in the launch line-up of all next gen consoles
Code:
Yeah right

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 10:39:19 AM »

I don't think that's what they're saying at all.

However, I see this as being a more negative trend in a different way: if the new consoles require even larger teams than the current generation - in which a game like Homefront allegedly must sell 2 million copies to break even, we're going to have even less in the way of innovation for high-budget titles.  We'll continue to have to turn to downloadable titles and handhelds for any sort of niche title.

One thing to consider as well is that Square Enix now has a significantly larger stable of titles than they did at the launch of this generation.  Square Enix didn't own Thief, then, they didn't own Deus Ex, they didn't own Tomb Raider, or Hitman or Legacy of Kain.  They had just acquired Space Invaders and all of the other Taito brands.  They now own a significantly wider variety of brands that would function as brands at launch of a potentially new console.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:41:30 AM by KeeperX » Logged

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »

Does anyone know if I purchase downloadable games from PSN or Amazon and download to my psp will I be able to play that same game on a ps3 or the new psp once it's out? Or do you have to rebuy it for each console?
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »

OK, so here's how thing break down there, A&RL:

PSN minis:

Playable on PS3 and PSP (and probably NGP)

PSone Classics:

Playable on PS3 and PSP (and probably NGP) - a couple of exceptions, Pocket Fighter is only playable on PS3, etc.

PSP titles as downloads:

Playable on PSP and NGP.  No PS3 play.

Your PSN account can be attached to 5 devices, I believe the limit is.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 10:50:10 AM »

OK, so here's how thing break down there, A&RL:

PSN minis:

Playable on PS3 and PSP (and probably NGP)

PSone Classics:

Playable on PS3 and PSP (and probably NGP) - a couple of exceptions, Pocket Fighter is only playable on PS3, etc.

PSP titles as downloads:

Playable on PSP and NGP.  No PS3 play.

Your PSN account can be attached to 5 devices, I believe the limit is.

Wow, thanks for the specs on the psn thing. Good to know that you can use most of the same games across your consoles.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »

However, I see this as being a more negative trend in a different way: if the new consoles require even larger teams than the current generation - in which a game like Homefront allegedly must sell 2 million copies to break even, we're going to have even less in the way of innovation for high-budget titles.  We'll continue to have to turn to downloadable titles and handhelds for any sort of niche title.

One thing to consider as well is that Square Enix now has a significantly larger stable of titles than they did at the launch of this generation.  Square Enix didn't own Thief, then, they didn't own Deus Ex, they didn't own Tomb Raider, or Hitman or Legacy of Kain.  They had just acquired Space Invaders and all of the other Taito brands.  They now own a significantly wider variety of brands that would function as brands at launch of a potentially new console.

I was jocking. I think it's safe to say that the first FF will arrive sooner than XIII though. Probably other big franchises too. They are probably preparing the tech, I wonder if sony, MS and nintendo already gave them some basic specs to work with.

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »

However, I see this as being a more negative trend in a different way: if the new consoles require even larger teams than the current generation - in which a game like Homefront allegedly must sell 2 million copies to break even, we're going to have even less in the way of innovation for high-budget titles.
I think the bubble will burst at this point and it will be the Atari collapse all over again...

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »

I buy SE releases almost only out of respect for their glorious past :P

I swear to God that I don't understand this way of thinking. Why would you do that?

Anyway, Mesh's impressions on the game are making me think twice lol.

Woh, I was half-joking there! :P I don't buy EVERYTHING they release of course, only things like DQ and FF-spinoffs (and recently Tactics Ogre). Not that I don't enjoy them, I just meant that I'm not as excited in their games as I used to be, and Atlus took over this place in my heart... But I still enjoy most of their games, I'm just waiting for their next great release that wouldn't be a remake and/or sequel. But, you know, I don't buy their Eidos stuff or things like the new action-oriented Front Mission or Supreme Commander... Only their RPG stuff that interest me at least a bit. I'm really excited about this new FFIV port on PSP, but It's pretty much a remake of a remake, which is pretty sad.

I have fury!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: