Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 06:40:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319792 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PSone Classics PSN rpgs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: PSone Classics PSN rpgs  (Read 27769 times)
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »

Anyway, Mesh's impressions on the game are making me think twice lol.

I'll chime in to give another opinion since I've also owned LoM since launch.

I've always thought of it is a B, B+ game. I think I'd still say that is is a B, B+ except now there are some things about it I have a better opinion of (graphics, music, art direction) and some things I have a lower opinion of (difficulty, combat). I think the quality of the plot has stayed pretty much the same. It's never been stellar (it's decent), but it also hasn't gotten worse with age.

Again, another game where I wouldn't be surprised if people no longer find it suits their tastes, but the price is right. So giving it a shot should be a no brainer.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »

Anyway, Mesh's impressions on the game are making me think twice lol.

I'll chime in to give another opinion since I've also owned LoM since launch.

I've always thought of it is a B, B+ game. I think I'd still say that is is a B, B+ except now there are some things about it I have a better opinion of (graphics, music, art direction) and some things I have a lower opinion of (difficulty, combat). I think the quality of the plot has stayed pretty much the same. It's never been stellar (it's decent), but it also hasn't gotten worse with age.

Again, another game where I wouldn't be surprised if people no longer find it suits their tastes, but the price is right. So giving it a shot should be a no brainer.

Thanks for the input.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »

Kinda weird that no one around here have mentioned Einhänder yet. ...is a Squaresoft game, you know.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »

But it's a schmup rather than an RPG.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 09:49:39 PM »

Kinda weird that no one around here have mentioned Einhänder yet. ...is a Squaresoft game, you know.

That's pretty much the only PSN release I'm still anxiously awaiting. Maybe if I ever get a PSP (highly likely) I'll be more inclined to buy all the other SE PSN releases that I already own, but right now just popping them in my PS2 is sufficient.
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 11:35:40 AM »

Chrono Cross and Wild Arms 2 would be awesome. I assume that the loading times are much shorter due to the games running form the PS3s hdd but do they actually work any better than they did on the original PS (better frame rate, sharper 3d, ect.)?

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 11:39:26 AM »

Wild Arms 2 is already available in North America (not sure about Europe) - came out about a year ago.

Yeah, load times are much reduced compared to the original iterations.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 11:43:48 AM »

Awesome, I may have to look into that. I hear that the original release had some translation issues. Any idea if the PSN version was improved in that respect?

Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »

The translation is exactly the same. Liz is still nigh incomprehensible. I actually get a headache whenever he appears, but that might be the combination of the wonky lines and the really annoying font.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »

Totally new to the PSN, but was interested in the classic ps1 rpgs...does anyone have any recommendations as to what standout rpgs would be best to download first?
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »

You just cant go wrong with Suikoden, its one of my all time faveourite games, just look at my avatar.
If you can get past giant heads and vampires in polkadot capes, Wild Arms is also a great start. Xenogears, if you want something a little more complicted story wise. Despite suffering form "CD2" syndrome its concidered to be one the PSOs finest RPGs. I know its not an PRG, but Im gonna go ahead and reccomend Silent Hill as well, its just that good.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:27:45 PM by Maxximum » Logged

Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »

You just cant go wrong with Suikoden, its one of my all time faveourite games, just look at my avatar.
If you can get past giant heads and vampires in polkadot capes, Wild Arms is also a great start. Xenogears, if you want something a little more complicted story wise. Despite suffering form "CD2" syndrome its concidered to be one the PSOs finest RPGs. I know its not an PRG, but Im gonna go ahead and reccomend Silent Hill as well, its just that good.

Sukioden, I could see myself purchasing (liked III and haven't started V yet) and maybe Wild Arms. Wasn't fond of Xenogears years ago...does the PSN version still have that annoying screen flash everytime your character initiates an attack? What the heck was that all about? Talk about giving you a headache and I don't suffer from epilepsy either just totally gives me a headache. Any other old rpgs that suffer that same visual problem that would help to know about so I could avoid? Thanks.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »

The only game I physically couldn't play because it gave me headaches was Wild Arms 2. I dunno, the music just grated on me so bad I had to stop. The enemy models were no joy to look at either, but I got through 1 fine.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »

Okay, I think Suikoden will be my first download. Others I was considering are Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana (once they are released), FFT, Final Fantasy Tactics Lions of War, Hexyz Force and Tactics Ogre...but with TO I was surprised that even the download price is $40. Don't get me wrong I still would like to purchase TO but maybe if it drops in price.

Anyone know if any Shining Force games are available for download? I have Shining Force on my Saturn and still love it to this day but unfortunately the saturn is packed away.

Also, before I invest in another expensive memory stick does anyone if the new Sony NGP will support the psp magicgate pro duos? I'll buy an 8GB or larger if I know I can then take that stick and then use it in the new console and then play the games I just downloaded in the new machine. Oh, and without straying off topic too much what does it mean to "activate psp"? I saw that on psn? I guess I have to do that before I purchase a downloadable game. Thanks again all and sorry for straying off topic a bit.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:27:15 PM by Anime & RPGl and » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »

Shining Force 1 is on VC, iOS, and I think PC (Steam at the least) whereas Shining Force 2 is only on the VC for now. Might be wrong there though!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: