Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 04:37:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330051 Posts in 13525 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PSone Classics PSN rpgs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Print
Author Topic: PSone Classics PSN rpgs  (Read 29461 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2011, 01:08:51 AM »

It's most relevant to people who only have PS3s/PSPs and no Wii (or GBA/any DS but 3DS/DSi, but FINDING legitimate copies of FFV/VI can be another matter entirely), or just want to play portable on the PSP. For people that do own those, and ESPECIALLY people who already played these versions and were put off by the terrible translation/awful loads respectively it's pretty unappealing, especially if they ask for $10.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2011, 01:36:26 AM »

Hell even people with Wiis are sol'd when it comes to FFV (unless they've gotten access to the Japanese VC through whatever means that would entail) thanks to Nintendo's retarded blanket "Don't mess with it!" VC policy. I mean; yeah, it makes sense not to let devs go back and try to correct old shames and or corrupt a classic but so many potentially discoverable classics are held back by the lack of any sort of translation or localization. For instance, there was a huge potential for the VC distributions of the NES/SuperNES FE games back when the service first started; hell it's debatable that we might have even gotten SD3, one of the Romancing SaGa trilogy, or Bahamut Lagoon out of the deal (given the amount of crap that needed to get past the radar, even by today's standards) but never happened due to a lack of preexisting localization.

Tangent aside, only CC is worth it given the utter lack of alternatives for it, the vast superiority of the GBA's port of FFV, and the SuperNES version of FFVI being on the VC.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2011, 01:56:07 AM »

Ah, whops. Yeah, FFV is more problematic, but I believe its GBA version is easier/cheaper to find than FFVI's. It isn't hit as bad by load times either IIRC, though cutting those out helps a lot, it's mainly that the translation is godawful and needed at least another round of editing to remove dumb errors like Y-burn.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »

I got a DS lite when mine pooped out on me so I could still play my classic GBA games (FF5 and 6 included in that).

I'm not the type to make complaints on minor things, but the loading times suck serrrioous donkeydick on the PSX/SNES FF's.  And at least you get the bonus dungeons and espers/jobs in the GBA ones. =/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:04:02 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »

I'm getting Chrono Cross(PSOne) for my PSP.I still have the unopened case but I can't resist taking CC with me everywhere I go.I loved it,wasn't as good as Trigger but the music was simply masterful.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2011, 10:47:45 PM »

I got a DS lite when mine pooped out on me so I could still play my classic GBA games (FF5 and 6 included in that).

I'm not the type to make complaints on minor things, but the loading times suck serrrioous donkeydick on the PSX/SNES FF's.  And at least you get the bonus dungeons and espers/jobs in the GBA ones. =/

But there wasn't any load times on the SuperNES. The only thing the GBA version of VI has over the original is the translation, and that comes at the steep cost to the audio and visual quality of the game. The bonus dungeons and extra espers are the usual tedious Squeenix add on affair and serve to make an already ridiculously breakable game even more broken (A chance for Water Rondo in the WoR, the option to get both Ragnaroks along with the ability to nab unlimited copies of the sword, the chance for multiple copies of the Offering/Master Scroll and the Gem Box/whatever the retranslation called it, and a bug that allows unlimited levelups for the purposes of stat up grinding).

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2011, 02:55:06 AM »

But there wasn't any load times on the SuperNES. The only thing the GBA version of VI has over the original is the translation, and that comes at the steep cost to the audio and visual quality of the game.

What's your point?  Hooray.  My GBA version doesn't have the shitty load times that probably accumulate a good 5 hours on a complete run. :P
And COME ON.  Are the graphics that horrible a change?  Have reds turned to neon pink?  And sound quality?  I don't go to the SNES/GBA for that to begin with. =/
I am a bit blue I miss out on the opening FMV.... but that's nothing youtube can't cure.

The bonus dungeons and extra espers are the usual tedious Squeenix add on affair and serve to make an already ridiculously breakable game even more broken (A chance for Water Rondo in the WoR, the option to get both Ragnaroks along with the ability to nab unlimited copies of the sword, the chance for multiple copies of the Offering/Master Scroll and the Gem Box/whatever the retranslation called it, and a bug that allows unlimited levelups for the purposes of stat up grinding).

I'm not breaking the game, I don't even know about half of that crap.  Some of these bugs you gotta go through a pretty lengthy process to boot.  The game gives you a 2x EXP item about half way through if you can get through the puzzle to do it.
Half of the games you play are broken to some aspect anyways.  RPGs, to me, are broken half the time when simply leveling up fixes any difficulty issue (cheating aside, FFV's dual-weild and rapid-fire = victory).
No one asked for an extra dungeon either, I call that a perk even if you hated it.  I can't speak for VI (not there), but V was and always is a good challenge.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2011, 12:51:25 PM »

Graphics and sound quality didn't bug me in the VI GBA version. I didn't grow up with the SNES version, actually. In fact, I liked the sound quality.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2011, 01:21:08 AM »

For the sake of audio comparison.

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y6R4Luysnk&feature=youtu.be&t=1m13s

GBA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy1F4bqfq8k

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2011, 01:28:43 AM »

Missing the point: audio quality isn't a deal-breaker unless I'm listening too distorted noise that kills the cells in my ear.  It's not like I'm cranking the music up so I can bop around to it.

If the music made me shut off a game or hate it for what it is, I'd have to re-examine my priorities... especially in hand held gaming.

To each their own.  If audio fidelity is that big a deal to you, then que sera sera.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2011, 06:34:47 AM »

The original Silent Hill has made it to the EU PSO Classics, Happy Days!

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2011, 08:49:30 AM »

I'm a little late hearing the news of more RPGs coming soon to PSN. Everyone talks about how great Chrono Trigger is around here but I have to admit I never had the opportunity to play it before. Should I check this out now on PSN or go straight for Chrono Cross? Or do you recommend both. Heck, I'm still having a blast witih Front Mission 3.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2011, 11:51:53 AM »

I'm a little late hearing the news of more RPGs coming soon to PSN. Everyone talks about how great Chrono Trigger is around here but I have to admit I never had the opportunity to play it before. Should I check this out now on PSN or go straight for Chrono Cross? Or do you recommend both. Heck, I'm still having a blast witih Front Mission 3.

I'd either go for the Wii's VC version or the DS version since the PSN version contains lengthy load times.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »

I'd either go for the Wii's VC version or the DS version since the PSN version contains lengthy load times.

Not only that, but it may be better in some ways to just play CC first so you don't have the whole "this is the sequel to CT!" thing hanging over it. It's largely stand alone, but has enough significant tie ins it can be worth playing CT beforehand. I wouldn't say to the point of playing the PSN version though, not when the VC and DS versions are out there.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »

Not only that, but it may be better in some ways to just play CC first so you don't have the whole "this is the sequel to CT!" thing hanging over it. It's largely stand alone, but has enough significant tie ins it can be worth playing CT beforehand. I wouldn't say to the point of playing the PSN version though, not when the VC and DS versions are out there.

Yeah, I do remember seeing Chrono Trigger a while back for the DS and I didn't know about a version for the Wii. I find it more annoying though having versions of games across many platforms. First of all, I don't game much anymore but when I do I find it easier to just have all the games I'm interested in in one location. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I find it easy this way.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: