Author Topic: Crysis 2

CDFN

• View Profile
Crysis 2
« on: March 15, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »
MP demo for PS3 will go live today in the US/tomorrow in EU.
Did anyone here play the 360 demo? Opinions seem mixed.

I've been reading the documentation that comes with cryengine 3. The section where they explain the different challenges when developing for each console is very interesting. The engine seems very user friendly. I can't wait to see how it performs. The PS3 demo is supposed to be the retail version so we'll get to see exactly how it will look, at least in MP. Obviously they'll be able to push it a bit further in SP but I guess there wont be a demo for that so we'll have to wait. Comparing this with killzone 3 will be an interesting exercise. The struggle to render as much as possible in 33 milliseconds continues.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

CDFN

• View Profile
Re: Crysis 2
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:49:20 AM »
I'm downloading the demo now. I bet that they waited this long to show it because it's an inferior port.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »
So, first of all I have to say that I did have fun with it. But on a technical level the game fails miserably to live up to the hype created by crytech. You can tell right away that the game is sub-hd, there's this blurriness to the image that I really wasn't expecting. Combined with no AA and some pretty agressive LoD it doesn't look pretty. Frame-rate is pretty bad as well. There's some complex geometry and the lighting is nice but there's a ton of games on the platform that blow this out of the water.
Gameplay is good though, I had fun with it. It wont make me stop playing killzone 3 though so I'll pass.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »
Yeah the console versions of this will probably blow

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »
Check this out:

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head/verdictscreen-shot-comparison/head2head-crysis-2-multiplayer-demo-screenshot-comparison/

I can't believe how blurry and washed out the PS3 version looks next to the 360. It's UNREAL!

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »
I'm kind of surprised after all this time 360 still has the graphics edge in some games.

That's the reason I got it in the 1st place, Oblivion apparently runs better on the 360.

If things are going to remain as they are I'll probably never get a PS3, as I figured at some point games released on both would start to look better on ps3

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/16/crytek-talks-crysis-2-ps3-multiplayer-demo-now-available/

PSB: One recent IGN article said Crysis 2 didn’t look very good on PS3. CVG/PSM disagreed. What’s your response?

NC: I’ve gone on the record saying that if you stick PS3 and 360 side by side I would challenge anyone to find any meaningful difference. I don’t see it at all.

Biggest lol ever.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
I'm kind of surprised after all this time 360 still has the graphics edge in some games.

That's the reason I got it in the 1st place, Oblivion apparently runs better on the 360.

If things are going to remain as they are I'll probably never get a PS3, as I figured at some point games released on both would start to look better on ps3

You are missing out on some amazing games. I don't see your point though, if you already have a 360 you can always get the multiplat games for it anyway. Besides, a decent PC will always blow the console versions away regardless. What makes the PS3 interesting is that its best games can't be played anywhere else, if they were available on PC I wouldn't have bought a PS3 in the first place. I can play Crysis 2 on PC and easily get a better performance than any console version. Same for ME, Oblivion, Fallout, etc. I can't do that with Uncharted, Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo, The Last Guardian, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Killzone, God of War, Resistance, etc.
Obviously the 360 has some great exclusives as well but in my opinion there isn't enough that can't be played on PC as well to make me get one. Most of the multiplats I cared for lately are as good or better on the PS3 anyway (dead space 2, vanquish, FFXIII, castlevania).

At the start of this gen I was really considering only gaming on PC but there are so many great games that don't get a PC version that by the time the consoles start costing less than 300 euro it becomes really hard to resist.
In the end it's all about the kind of games you want to play, not the hardware itself. If you can't live without halo, gears of war, etc obviously you'll get a 360, it's a matter of taste.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 04:33:42 PM »
My point is that at this point I don't have enough money for a PS3, especially only for 5-10 exclusives.

Will I get one down the line? probably since I'm a greedy gamer

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 04:38:17 PM »
My point is that at this point I don't have enough money for a PS3, especially only for 5-10 exclusives.

Will I get one down the line? probably since I'm a greedy gamer

I've been noticing that a lot of people here seem to be broke lol.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 04:02:21 PM »
PS3 demo has been pulled because of the backlash. Now SP footage is surfacing and it looks pretty good. Hmm...

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
Eh, I enjoyed the demo on the 360 but to me the whole genre is just getting WAY to saturated.  I'm honestly starting to lose interest in FPS's.  I guess I just need a break from them.  It seemed pretty solid though.
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 08:42:40 PM »
Eh, I enjoyed the demo on the 360 but to me the whole genre is just getting WAY to saturated.  I'm honestly starting to lose interest in FPS's.

I half wonder if we'll reach a point where, like platformers, they go form ubiquitous to borderline niche, with only a few major entries. Then again they have been fairly prevalent for YEARS now, but nevertheless it's become a genre where entries either have to be exceptional or at least significantly unique for me to care about them.

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:46:57 PM »
I don't know what the hell happened but people are posting playthroughs of the SP on youtube and it looks fantastic. So either MP looks a lot worse than SP or the demo wasn't final code afterall (they said it was though, this is weird).

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
I don't know what is the problem with the PS3 version of some games, but the differences here is too much (is kinda stupid at this point actually). I wonder if the console versions of Battlefield 3 are going to be decent at the very least... the game looks insane on PC.