Author Topic: Hallucinations.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Hallucinations.
« on: March 18, 2011, 04:39:07 AM »
Let's discuss weird childhood hallucinations/ghost experiences/etc because I find that kind of thing really fascinating.

So I got this recurring one a lot. If I was looking at somewhere where I'd EXPECT to see people, for a split second, I'd tend to see them. This was usually when I walked by the computer room in my house. I'd see someone sitting in the chair (usually a middle-aged woman that looked like nobody I knew, which was weird). Anyway I think I remember reading about the psychological reasons this happens but I forgot what they were.

What brings this back up is that, while I haven't really had it happen in YEARS, about a week or two ago I'm walking back from the Kroger's by my apartment, and I see this guy sitting outside the bar that's between Kroger's and Subway*. I blink and he's gone.

USUALLY there are people sitting out there so my mind just like, constructed this false image. It was pretty jarring for a second. Also I think the guy I thought I see might've been real, the place has some regulars, but whatever.

... Though looking back I remember encountering a guy outside of a Toys R Us once, who was acting really odd but sort of looked like my next door neighbor. This was when I was in highschool. What's weird is that he started talking to me but he'd only say thing like "ugh." I figured he was just a bum and went inside cause, you know, don't talk to random hobos at night.

I'm not entirely sure that incident was real though.

* I live in the classiest fucking place, shut up.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
Re: Hallucinations.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:51:05 AM »
Weird, me and Yoda were just talking about this. I've never seen people that weren't there o.o but I have seen objects. I remember when I was little I used to see Tiki masks everywhere. I don't know why, my little brain just saw them in everything. Floral pattern curtains, floor boards, bed sheets, just hanging on the wall, but they were never there. My mum took me to see the doctor about it, and he said it was just an over-active imagination and that i'll get over it - and he was right. In about a year or two I would stop seeing them.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »
You're alone on hallucinations... but I just remember an overactive imagination as a kid.  I had a fear of the GameOver screen Ganon from Adventure of Link on NES. ("Ha ha ha!").

That, and I had these cute, pink, puffy, billowing curtains in my room as a kid... but at night, the lights from outside hit them and created a shadow illusion of those creepy ass deep-water fish with the large teeeth, trying to eat each other.

EDIT: I did have a wicked case of fever as a kid.  I remember feeling like something was trying to grab me - terrors and the like.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:16:13 AM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

CastNuri

• AMG A GIRL
  • There are no coincidences.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »
Cats. Used to see cats everywhere when I was a kid. Stray felines are pretty common in Selangor, so I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I expected to see them all the time. Used to have pet cats too.

I've 'hallucinated' people before-- usually at my old elementary and secondary school. Used to catch a glimpse of a student in uniform at the canteen after school hours, would look back and they'd be gone. Don't really think it happens anymore.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com

Vanguard

• I am America, and I hate JRPGs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 11:34:50 AM »
I think what we're talking about is tricks that your eyes can play on you. When I lived in New Hampshire and would be coming home real late, I always thought every mailbox I passed was a person. Then again, to see people walking home/hitchhiking isn't all that uncommon.

But hallucinations? Never. Not without drugs at least, and a lot of them.
Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »
Weird, me and Yoda were just talking about this.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »
Hypnagogic hallucinations anyone? I've had some really weird ones, like a very old-fashioned TV floating in the corner of my room with that old Sonic cartoon on. Oh, but mostly it's just the bloodcurdling screams of a few dozen people being brutally murdered.

sandiny0ursh0es

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »
I've met people that seriously claim they see ghosts.

I was at a friend's house, and one of the girls was really quiet during the party. She finally admitted that she felt really uncomfortable in the house because she could see a ghost in the corner of the ceiling, just chillin there. The friend that owned the house *confirmed* this, as she also claims to be able to see ghosts. WTF.

I also have a co-worker who says she can see ghosts. I think these people are full of shit or are attention whores or both. -_-

I've tried shrooming before and it was cool for the first hour. By the fourth hour I just wanted them to stop and go to sleep. Ugh.

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »
 When I was around 8, give or take, my grandma and mom accidentally both gave me medicine for something or other and the overdose led to actual hallucinations. This included a horse laying on my legs keeping me pinned down to my bed, some dude in my room with a mask who'd take it off to reveal another mask with another mask under that one etc and a skeletal hand reaching in the doorway. When I'd close my eyes to block it out dinosaurs.

Turning the lights on made most of it go away except for a pair of eyes where everything was hiding waiting for the lights to go back off(And with the horse and skeleton hand by the switch I couldn't turn them on myself). At one point my dad came in to talk me down without turning them on. He had a tail.

Don't do drugs kids.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:45:30 PM by Raze »

MindCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »
I saw some weird shadow thing on my wall once when I was a kid. It scared the crap out of me. I swear I was awake, but I'm not 100% sure. I also stayed home from school once with a feever and saw all sorts of weird stuff on TV that I'm pretty sure now wasn't real. That was one messed up episode of Seseme St let me tell ya.
Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 01:32:16 PM »
Sometimes, out of the corner of my eye, at my parent's house I swear I see my childhood dog sitting at the top of the stairs where she would always sit.

Fei

• !?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »
I was being gassed before surgery, age 8, when my mother and doctors became muppets.  They'd bend at the waist like puppets, but their heads were real.  This was ok, until I looked at my left hand index finger.  It was now a jack in the box neck/head.  I was able to manipulate it as if it were really my finger, which sent me into a conscious panic.  I contemplated the nature of reality and hell, and the doctors noticed my panic and stopped the gas.  I was apparently asking for my mom.

Next thing I know, surgery is over and I'm fine.  Hot damn.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 01:57:49 AM »
- Junior year. My math teacher assigned some homework assignment one Friday, I wrote it down, etc. My homework skills were rather lacking (as totally not indicated by my AWESOME MOTHERFUCKING GRADES) and I tended to basically do my math homework before first period AP history on the day it was due.

Anyway, I get into class, open my agenda, and... I can't find the assignment? I look around. Maybe I wrote it in another notebook or on some scrap paper. Nope. Nothing. Okay, so I forgot to write it down. Fuck. Guess I'm taking a zero.

And then I get to class and there wasn't any homework after all. That was kind of jarring.

- I could've sworn the last track on black eyed peas - elephunk was something called Albion or Avalon or something.

- I didn't buy Remain in Light for MONTHS because I thought it was 21.99 which is an excessive damn price for a CD. It was actually 12.99 and I'd been chronically misreading it somehow.

- One day I was zoning out in Englih class when I was a sophomore in highschool and thought I saw my teacher turning into some weird blue fish-thing with yellow lining.

- Various weird delusions about time flowing backwards when I was a senior in highschool. What's weird is that a lot of my memories seem out of order about that.

- Various points in time where I felt like I was floating above myself looking down.

- Around the time my 12th grade english teacher died last summer I started feeling like my expectations were affecting the outcomes of events.

- One time when I was in like, really early grade school, I was at a class picnic. I had three sugar cookies my grandma gave me. One of them turned up missing. When I asked her later that day I found out that she'd only given me two. What' weird is I showed my friend said cookies and he though there were three as well.

- Kindergarten or before it. Saw some large, unspecific black *thing* fly at my head while sitting on some playground equipment. I fell off trying to avoid it.

- Not sure when but it was a longass time ago. Curtains in my room started moving on their own. Mom said it was the cat. There was no damn cat in there and the windowsill wasn't even wide enough to support a cat. It was mostly her reaction that freaked me out but I don't remember WHY.

- Younger than five. Playing with some plush toys in my bedroom. Thought I heard something say my name, or talking. It freaked me out a looooot.

- Various things I remember that I'm not sure ever happened. Various absent memories of things that I know must've happened. Various other things I don't want to remember. Vaseline.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 02:21:55 AM »
Not sure about hallucinations, but in middle school the doctors gave prescribed me way too much of my ADHD medication and I was so high i felt like i was floating in the air.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 02:27:10 AM »
Wasn't this the entire point to that one visual novel/anime Ch@os;Head which through reams of random technobabble meant that hallucinations = magic.

I still want those 6 hours of my life back you fucks!
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.