Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 03:00:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327393 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  jrpg hate in america.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: jrpg hate in america.  (Read 22653 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2011, 11:55:32 PM »

My simile has grown a mind of its own.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2011, 03:04:44 AM »

I've said it before; but I credit FF's constant success in the States part of the fact they diverted from the cartoon-y style that FF7 had and kept it real (which seems to work for audiences here).  

Nevertheless, numerous Japanese publishers enjoy a ton of success here too, no?

FF9 was cartoony. (Though it was a much better game than FF8. But hell, Legend of Dragoon would be a better game than FF8 if it didn't have such a terrible battle system)

I think the publishers that are having success now, like Atlus, XSeed and Level 5,are the ones that are bringing over interesting things that may be Japanese but are also things we haven't seen before. I think that's why stuff like the newer Persona games, Professor Layton, 999 and even stuff like Retro Game Challenge seems to get buzz.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:08:46 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2011, 03:17:07 AM »

I've said it before; but I credit FF's constant success in the States part of the fact they diverted from the cartoon-y style that FF7 had and kept it real (which seems to work for audiences here). 

Nevertheless, numerous Japanese publishers enjoy a ton of success here too, no?

FF9 was cartoony. (Though it was a much better game than FF8. But hell, Legend of Dragoon would be a better game than FF8 if it didn't have such a terrible battle system)

I think the publishers that are having success now are the ones like Atlus, XSeed and Level 5 that are bringing over interesting things that may be Japanese but is also stuff we haven't seen before. I think that's why stuff like the newer Persona games, Professor Layton, 999 and even stuff like Retro Game Challenge seems to get buzz.

Mileage varies in that point.  Besides, what are the sales figures on some of these games?  My point isn't trying to look at cult-value...  Atlus, Level5 and XSeed *does* make interesting games, but....
...and, wait a minute, in talking of visual aesthetics, I'd actually chalk-up Layton to French animated stylings way more than Japanese (which could be a point of appeal for non-J-ers).
FF9 still tried to retain semi-real elements that could be interpreted more "cartoony" than necessarily anime (you see the especially with Steiner and various NPCs - those who don't fit typcical "anime" conventions).  I think the only title in the FF series (main series anyhow) that was overtly anime was FF7 (before then, the graphics were too small to call them out as anything other than tiny-sprites, not "chibi-SD" ones; furthermore, anime exposure wasn't all that strong in NA by this point for anyone to care, no?).  FF8 and after seemed to have taken a more realistic approach that stuck-on well with the (and I hate using the word for it) "maturing" North American audience who stopped being taken in by the J-charm.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2011, 05:42:15 AM »

Development costs are the killer. Every new generation of console brings with it new demands on development costs to fulfil the promise of better graphics and sound. Unfortunately, good JRPG experiences have rarely depended on such things so they end up having to attach the significant development costs to a well known name in order to guarantee a certain amount of sales.

I guess that's why handhelds are the RPG format of choice - low graphics expectations allowing for more resource on gamplay and storytelling.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »

...and, wait a minute, in talking of visual aesthetics, I'd actually chalk-up Layton to French animated stylings way more than Japanese (which could be a point of appeal for non-J-ers).

Which brings us back to whole ignorance thing. The visual style used for JRPGs is quite diverse. But you tell the right person it's from Japan and they poo poo it no matter which country's artistic style was most influential in its development.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2011, 11:55:59 AM »

I guess that's why handhelds are the RPG format of choice - low graphics expectations allowing for more resource on gamplay and storytelling.

Hi 1999 called they want their strawman back~

Serious refutation:

1. Unless you have a tiny studio art isn't handled by the 'gamplay' or storytelling dudes. No resource diversion there.

2. High-quality pixel art and high-quality 3D art don't really take different amount of 'work' or 'effort' inherently. Especially if the artists are actually good at what they are doing.

3. The DS is a perfectly capable piece of hardware and does not really have inherently lowered expectations about visual quality, whatever something so nebulous even means. I'm guessing development costs on the DS are cheaper since the hardware is simpler in other regards and isn't some multiprocessor clusterfuck that is impossible to program.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »

Which brings us back to whole ignorance thing. The visual style used for JRPGs is quite diverse. But you tell the right person it's from Japan and they poo poo it no matter which country's artistic style was most influential in its development.

They can be.  I'm kinda deviating here...but...  Some games make a blatant effort to be something other than J (Layton), but I can't help but think how ...ubiquitous "anime" styles are in Japan - it seems if you're a cartoonist in that country, you ARE drawing anime's big eyes, full and colourful hairdos, and whatever else.  I personally find American cartoons more diverse in terms of style at times; even Japanese realism tends to look unquestionably anime -- in fact, have they ever made a cartoon that *wasn't* anime-esque? (as is, FF titles containing almost impossible looking humans at times, and Prof Layton titles squeezed some anime broads into their title's youthful females).

Then I stop and question -- is this all a mere matter of perspective?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »

They can be.  I'm kinda deviating here...but...  Some games make a blatant effort to be something other than J (Layton), but I can't help but think how ...ubiquitous "anime" styles are in Japan - it seems if you're a cartoonist in that country, you ARE drawing anime's big eyes, full and colourful hairdos, and whatever else.  I personally find American cartoons more diverse in terms of style at times; even Japanese realism tends to look unquestionably anime -- in fact, have they ever made a cartoon that *wasn't* anime-esque? (as is, FF titles containing almost impossible looking humans at times, and Prof Layton titles squeezed some anime broads into their title's youthful females).

Well look at the ff games, especially the difference between 7 and 8. Nobody can arfue that the costumes and world art weren't anime in nature, but I thought the characters in 8 sure looked much more realistic.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2011, 01:40:07 PM »

Anime is sort of interesting in that a lot of the common features you see in it aren't really limited to anime. I don't know a lot about cartoons in general, but I think what you see in a lot of Western animation is like, heavily rooted in Chuck Jones and Walt Disney. Which wasn't that dissimilar from what you saw, IDK, from Osamu Tezuka (Lion King being a shitty ripoff of Kimba notwithstanding).

Although I probably would also raise the point that I think anime's just gotten really bad looking lately. I don't really watch a lot of it anymore thanks to my lack of cable, but it's like, yeah, there's really great looking stuff like Ghost in the Shell, but then you also get stuff like Full Metal Alchemist that's pretty generic looking (albeit not badly animated), or Naruto which is BARELY ANIMATED AT ALL apparently I mean seriously 50% of an episode will just be closeups of eyes shifting back and forth or dramatic pauses where nothing happens.

Also I think a lot of Westerners tend to call everything from Japan anime even if it isn't. Jack Layton was brought up as an example of being closer to French animation. Kaneko's art is... idk something between modernist and art deco. Legend of Mana and Romancing Song were pretty much based in like, Indo-European folk art. And Odin Sphere seems REALLY heavily inspired by Indonesian shadow puppetry. I've heard them all described as anime, though. There is an anime influence in a lot of JRPG art, but there's an anime influence on a lot of Western art as well. I wouldn't say that MOST JRPGs have a hardcore anime style in the same way that IDK Tales does.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2011, 01:49:22 PM »

Guys, Americans dont hate anime.
I've met the most ghetto ass dudes who love Dragonball Z
I don't know how much you were all picked on in high school for wearing naruto headbands but this isnt the reality of the world
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »

I don't know how much you were all picked on in high school for wearing naruto headbands but this isnt the reality of the world

but but but... even I make fun of narutards.
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »

but but but... even I make fun of narutards.
Yeah, I love me some animme too, but if you ran around with a dragonball shirt or Naruto headband i'd make fun of you too.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »

Well that's...dumb.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2011, 04:14:07 PM »

The difference between a fan of Naruto and a Narutard is akin to the difference between admiration and obsession.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »

You're all hypocrites
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: