Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 07:01:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335204 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  jrpg hate in america.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: jrpg hate in america.  (Read 23809 times)
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »

To everyone claiming it's a quality problem: There are still good JRPGs coming out, they're just obscure and largely ignored.  Look at Radiant Historia.

When I mention this, everyone ignores it. The JRPGs people know are Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and anything released before this generation of consoles (and not even many at that). As far as they're concerned, Radiant Historia is some random, shitty Chrono Trigger ripoff I'm gay for.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »

Before, I think people would look at the anime stereotypes and/or the voice acting and laugh them off.

Now, it's trendy to say JRPGs (and Japan in general) are tired and Western RPGs are Teh Best. Plus the look at the character design and say something along the lines of "Is that a guy"? They totally dismiss a genre because of character design.

So, I would say it's more based on the games themselves.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »

Plus the look at the character design and say something along the lines of "Is that a guy"?

I've had very little issue with distinguishing the gender of RPG characters. But I was starting to doubt this until my nephew of 5 years old was watching me play Digital Devil Saga one day. It immediately caught my attention when he referred to this guy:

http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/dds/art-009.jpg

As a guy. He hadn't even heard him speak. He just knew. After quizzing him on all the characters I had acquired he didn't confuse the gender of any of them. In fact, he was rather confused why I was asking him questions with such obvious answers.

I don't know how a five year old who's not even allowed to play video games (they hype him up WAY too much if he actually plays) is so much better at this than all the complainers.
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:04 PM »

Before, I think people would look at the anime stereotypes and/or the voice acting and laugh them off.

Now, it's trendy to say JRPGs (and Japan in general) are tired and Western RPGs are Teh Best. Plus the look at the character design and say something along the lines of "Is that a guy"? They totally dismiss a genre because of character design.

So, I would say it's more based on the games themselves.

I've actually found the opposite is true. Most people I know who are un-knowledgeable about RPGs would prefer to play a JRPG to a WRPG because they assume it's more like the difference between anime and western cartoons. Of course now that I've reread what you said, I think I'm responding to the wrong idea/ can't tell what your point is...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 09:25:57 PM »

Isn't it because America hates everything that isn't America?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »

Isn't it because America hates everything that isn't America?

B-but Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 are hilarious.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »

americas just hate everything that isn't farmville or halo

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »

americas just hate everything that isn't farmville or halo

This is just more proof that my mom must have cheated on my dad, otherwise I would be too white to enjoy Radiant Historia.

Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »

I agree with you Kevadu. In fact, I'll extend by saying that the best RPGs I played in recent years are on the DS. I think the problem right now is that there is a high standard of quality on HD consoles, and it's tough to develop a good RPG on them. It forces developpers to make a game with good graphics, but loses some of the magic that some JRPGs had. Look at FFXIII: it looks amazing, but many people disliked its linearity. Well, I don't think it's possible for anybody to make a game that will be an epic 60-hour adventure and meeting the industry standard. Look at Nier. I think it was a great and original game well worth playing. The problem: it received bad reviews because its graphics weren't good enough. But the sad thing is, most people didn't buy it because of those bad reviews. Hell, I don't give a shit about graphics, I just want to have fun playing a good game. That is possible on the DS, with its limited graphics. A 32-bit styled game can receive great reviews as well, because of the console on which is released. Same thing on the PSP, which has some great "2D" RPGs. So, my point is: most people don't think playing the DS is "cool" enough and play PS3/360. And the JRPGs on these consoles are mostly bad, or if they're good theyr receive a bad reception from the mainstream. I think that's what lowers the general opinion of JRPGs. My conclusion: they should buy a DS!
Oh, and let's share a story. I work in a Gamestop. I think it happens one time every month that a customer asks me for a good RPG. I tell them that they are mostly on the DS nowadays. The answer is always something like: "Oh well, DS, you know... I prefer my PS3". I don't know why but it seems most people have a fear of the DS! Anyway, the solution is pretty much on the PSN/Xbox Live, where devs can release low-graphics games for a minimal price, and still receive good reviews because they're "indie".

I have fury!
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 10:41:42 PM »

Oh, and let's share a story. I work in a Gamestop. I think it happens one time every month that a customer asks me for a good RPG. I tell them that they are mostly on the DS nowadays. The answer is always something like: "Oh well, DS, you know... I prefer my PS3". I don't know why but it seems most people have a fear of the DS! Anyway, the solution is pretty much on the PSN/Xbox Live, where devs can release low-graphics games for a minimal price, and still receive good reviews because they're "indie".

That reminds me of a story. The FPS person I know once tried to convince me to cancel my 3DS pre-order and buy a PS3 instead. His whole argument was, "The PS3 will have more games released on it than the 3DS." Over and over again. HE had no rhyme or reason, just a hate for Nintendo.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 10:45:57 PM »

Nintendo lost me want they told me they wanted me to move while playing games.
I play games to sit on my ass and move as little as possible, not the opposite.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »

The problem with handhelds are simply a lot of people do not want to play on them.  I have adapted, but I do not care for them much either. I'd  rather play with a controller on my 50 inch plasma TV,  and  7.1 surround  sound system, which is what home consoles are good for.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 11:27:01 PM »

Anyway, the solution is pretty much on the PSN/Xbox Live, where devs can release low-graphics games for a minimal price, and still receive good reviews because they're "indie".

'low-graphics'

Look if you were me I'd just assume you were being ironic, but you're not me. I'm me. And therefor I refuse to assume anything.

That reminds me of a story. The FPS person I know once tried to convince me to cancel my 3DS pre-order and buy a PS3 instead.

It's funny because all of the good FPSes are on the PC anyway.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »

That reminds me of a story. The FPS person I know once tried to convince me to cancel my 3DS pre-order and buy a PS3 instead. His whole argument was, "The PS3 will have more games released on it than the 3DS." Over and over again. HE had no rhyme or reason, just a hate for Nintendo.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind a person to force someone to share my ideas. When I'm asked for a good RPG, I just ask if the person has a DS as I have more suggestions on this one. But I do try to find a RPG on the console I'm asked. Well, on Wii it's harder though :P On PS3 i usually suggest either Fallout or Dragon Age: Fallout had a tremendous success, while less people seem to like DA:O (I usually get the graphics argument :P.
Oh and didn't mean wrong by "low-graphic" Jubby. I only used the term by opposition to HD and because most people seem to think that if it's not HD, it's ugly (well there was a little irony indeed!) But anyway, as I said, I don't care about graphics. I prefer things like a good story and good art direction. I don't really care about technical quality and resolution. Hell, I still have fun with my GameBoy and hell, are those games ugly!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:49:16 PM by Arhkaos » Logged

I have fury!
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind a person to force someone to share my ideas. When I'm asked for a good RPG, I just ask if the person has a DS as I have more suggestions on this one. But I do try to find a RPG on the console I'm asked. Well, on Wii it's harder though :P On PS3 i usually suggest either Fallout or Dragon Age: Fallout had a tremendous success, while less people seem to like DA:O (I usually get the graphics argument :P.
Oh and didn't mean wrong by "low-graphic" Jubby. I only used the term by opposition to HD and because most people seem to think that if it's not HD, it's ugly (well there was a little irony indeed!) But anyway, as I said, I don't care about graphics. I prefer things like a good story and good art direction. I don't really care about technical quality and resolution. Hell, I still have fun with my GameBoy and hell, are those games ugly!

I wasn't sayingyou were doing anything it just reminded me of a story. Oh, and I'm now going to suggest saying "Eternal Sonata" for the 360/ PS3 people if they're looking for something for kids. I think it's T-rated due to the theme of death or something. I think a total of two characters die though... One tries to commit suicide. In the opening sequence. I think Eternal Sonata is the epitome of JRPGness though. It hits every JRPG standard that isn't a cliche (and it hits some of those too).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: