Author Topic: jrpg hate in america.  (Read 58585 times)

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
Re: jrpg hate in america.
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2011, 01:08:25 AM »
It does have to do with culture, but more due to how Asian cultures and society in general tend to remain stagnant and stay with what they're comfortable with rather than accept any deviation from the norm. Innovation is embraced and praised in the west but in the east every stray nail has to be smashed down; it's all about staying inside the box. Of course, there ARE always exceptions, but yeah....

I mean, DQ9 furor, anybody?

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2011, 01:12:19 AM »
Hard to say that without applying it to the West either.  Quite frankly, both cultures seem cozy in the "box" where the video game ideas come from.

It's a tough debate.  But the definite pride in masculinity and femininity I think has another big part into it.  Unless, 2ch has remarks that SquareEnix's latest lead character looks to feminine.

I don't know.  I don't feel like typing, this debate could go on forever and more than I'm willing to talk about at the moment.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2011, 01:24:27 AM »
True, the West also has a box, but people and companies are judged much less harshly - sometimes even praised - for thinking outside of it.

In many of my experiences, Asians equate different with bad, regardless of the difference. It's why I'm still out of my element in Asian countries despite being Asian myself.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2011, 01:27:48 AM »
You had me at 'box'.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mullane

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2011, 01:33:22 AM »
I think PrimeMover has some good points and while these kinds of things certainly are adding to the problem, they are probably not the biggest factor. Game quality over the last few years is probably playing a major part.

I do think however that since gaming has becoming trend driven/cool, the things that sell and things that don't are much more defined. American gamers (generalising here) are currently following the trend of "cool" games, being shooters and a the like, and people who would have normally been interested in JRPG's are pressured into liking the "cool" games (either by society or people they associate with). It would seem that good games in the JRPG genre are largely overlooked by the general populace/trends (Nier and Valkyria Chronicles) and are only spread through more gamers by VERY strong word of mouth, anything less than stellar is not given that kind of attention by the fans.

There also seems to be a fad for reviewers rating an average JRPG a lot lower than an average shooter, and as far as I can tell, sites like Metacritic and reviews are having a very large impact on game sales.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:38:46 AM by Mullane »

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2011, 03:30:21 AM »
Stuff.

1. Games have always been trend driven. Assuming that means what I think it means.

2. Gaming trends are unpredictable as hell and trying to do so is largely pointless. Look at last year. Minecraft and Angry Birds were pretty damn successful. So were several FPSes and the Pokemon remakes. There probably IS an underlying trend there but good luck finding it.

3. Games are like 60 dollars these days anything less than stellar from any genre gets ignored because nobody can afford it.

4. From what I can gather the average JRPG lately has been pretty mediocre. JRPGs generally need to go out of their way to be fun more than your average FPS does because if an FPS is sort of mediocre, it's still an FPS. If a JRPG is mediocre, it's just a bunch of menus.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Mullane

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2011, 04:58:39 AM »
Stuff.

1. Games have always been trend driven. Assuming that means what I think it means.

2. Gaming trends are unpredictable as hell and trying to do so is largely pointless. Look at last year. Minecraft and Angry Birds were pretty damn successful. So were several FPSes and the Pokemon remakes. There probably IS an underlying trend there but good luck finding it.

3. Games are like 60 dollars these days anything less than stellar from any genre gets ignored because nobody can afford it.

4. From what I can gather the average JRPG lately has been pretty mediocre. JRPGs generally need to go out of their way to be fun more than your average FPS does because if an FPS is sort of mediocre, it's still an FPS. If a JRPG is mediocre, it's just a bunch of menus.

1&2)All you seem to have done is nitpick on terms I have used.

What I meant by "trend" would probably be better described by "hit". Similar to movies, only the hyped movies, well known and "cool" (again generalising) do consistantly well in box office. There are exceptions, like you mentioned, and I will liken those to sleeper hits in the indie movie scene.

3) What I meant by "anything less than stellar is not given that kind of attention by the fans". Is that anything less than stellar in the JRPG genre won't get the kind of word of mouth driven sales given to all the popular games selling today.

4) Is it really the case that comparing average JRPG to average shooter will have the shooter come out the better game? That seems exactly like the belief that many reviewers have at the moment. (I am seriously asking, I do not play a whole lot of shooters, but from my experience the average shooters I have played have been less than that.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:29:10 AM by Mullane »

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2011, 05:10:06 AM »
The thing with being more hit driven is due to the cost going into developing games. Mega Man 2 got 2 million sales years back and that was a smash success, some games won't even break even pulling that many, or will be considered underwhelming for it.

And while I don't think this is what Mesh was getting at with FPSes (probably the basic "run and shoot things" gameplay), they ARE on average much shorter games, usually between a fifth and a tenth the size. Personally I think I'm harder to please with FPSes, especially since I generally like them best when they're at least somewhat open ended (contrast Doom and Bioshock with Call of Duty), but I'm more likely to actually finish a mediocre FPS because it's that much smaller of a time investment than a mediocre RPG.

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2011, 05:21:24 AM »
Good FPS have longevity through Multiplayer. Hell, Multiplayer IS the game for a lot of the more popular FPS. The Single Player is just garnishing.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2011, 06:35:51 AM »
its that group of online mutiplayer fps players that i see most of the hate come from. and because the gaming media *coughgameinformercough* wants to apease them they jump on the bandwagon.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Sagacious-T

• Official Pony Thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »
oh shut up

CDFN

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2011, 07:04:17 AM »
Pokemon sure doesn't seem to be affected by this. Damn thing still sells really well in every region. I guess the monster collecting thing has universal appeal, something that most jrpgs just don't.
Like every entertainment industry, the videogame market is driven by trends but because of cultural differences these aren't necessarily the same in every region. That's pretty much all there is to it.
Same thing happens in music for example. It's like the metalheads making fun or even being condescending towards people who listen to pop and vice versa. Actually, Alisha's initial post reminded me of the weird looks I used to get as a teen from people who didn't like metal, especially from the metal = satanic crowd.

Personally I'm glad there's so much variety or else I would've gotten bored of this hobby years ago.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2011, 11:31:33 AM »
Nobody takes Game Informer seriously.

Nobody even buys magazines any more jesus christ this is 2007 bro-lady get IN the picture.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2011, 12:26:39 PM »

its that group of online mutiplayer fps players that i see most of the hate come from. and because the gaming media *coughgameinformercough* wants to apease them they jump on the bandwagon.

Gameinformer reviewed and gave good scores to Radiant Historia, DQ6, Tactics Ogre, Ys: Oath... etc.

I personally find this conversation lame. At every gaming convention I see vids and pics of I see plenty of jrpg cosplay action, and sales seem to be decent at least for most new jrpgs released.

Who cares if outspoken CoD fans think jrpgs suck?

MindCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
GI love how the very title of this thread is a generalization, and when someone makes another generalization in a reply they get flamed.
My opinion is they aren't as fun as they used to be and I don't know why. Something just plain broke. 90% of the Jrpgs I've played reccently had great concepts,  but had some very nagging flaws as well. NIER is ugly. FF13 is a mindless tunnel run. Resonance of Fate was grindy. Magna Carta 2 was boring.
Can't put my finger on it, but mabe it's not a simple problem. Maybe it's something that really can't be pegged as a genre wide failure. Maybe it's just a stream of games that simply aren't up to the same quality we've come to expect from Japan. I keep coming back to JRPGs looking for that spark I used to feel playing those games, and while some of them are fun for a bit, the thrill is gone. I think the negetive view comes from this general discontent with games in the genre.
Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor