Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 06:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332945 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  jrpg hate in america.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: jrpg hate in america.  (Read 23523 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »

i pose this question. do you think the jrpg hate in this country is an actually hate of the games themselves,or hate of those that like jrpg's? even i have noticed that if i'm around my brothers and someone asks if i want to play halo someone will almost always say "nah she plays rpg's" as if because i play jrpg's some sterotype is being placed on me. sorta reminds me of the nerd bashing in the 80's.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »

I have a lot of friends who do indeed mock me for liking JRPGs. Some of it is certainly deserved but some isn't, most of them have never even played a JRPG. Not that it would help, me showing them one now. Your game preference is something that catches you at an early age I think, and just sticks with you.

JRPGs are just simply not in the majority right now, compared to the mid-90's and pretty much anything now enjoyed by the majority is viewed with at least some degree of mocking.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:21:46 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »

I play a ton of rpgs. I also play lots of shooters. And racing games. And beat'em ups. These things aren't mutually exclusive. If you only play rpgs it's probably normal that people don't expect you to enter a halo deathmatch. I dunno, In my mind there are 2 genres of games, the ones that I like and the ones that I don't like.
I guess jrpgs aren't cool anymore so mainstream oriented gamers might consider people who play them nerds or something, I dunno.
You're talking about America so what the fuck do I know anyway, never been there in my life :-)

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »

You're talking about America so what the fuck do I know anyway, never been there in my life :-)

I just expanded her question to "The World Outside of Japan" so that I could comment on it :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »

I like all genres of RPGs. It's just that JRPGs these days have gotten shittier and shittier, and the only good ones are the "Anime" JRPGs like Persona, or the ones that are western-inspired like Demons Souls. I'd say the biggest issue is quality.

Both the WRPG and JRPG genres have major dilemmas right now, traditional JRPGs are stale as fuck and WRPGs keep shifting and adjusting to accommodate the typical call of duty gamer.

It's not the era that is hurting JRPGs, it's the games themselves. The JRPG Genre is also extremely brand-name driven. Remember in the 90s where Squaresoft would just bust out some awesome new independent property RPG? Good luck with that now..

Then there's the whole maturity thing. JRPGs are literally aimed at children, while the bulk of the gaming market are people 20 and up.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:30:24 PM »

Back in the good old days you were a nerd for playing any kind of video game.  When did this shit go mainstream?

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 07:37:35 PM »

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about, Alicia.  I have been made fun of by more people for loving hockey (several) than I ever have for liking JRPGs (0).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:40:13 PM by KeeperX » Logged

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »

I don't think Alisha is making it up, I probably get made fun of for it more than any other thing I do. And I collect plushies. I'm not saying it is this epidemic, but yeah.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »

I think the worst I've seen is from someone who refused to like anything that wasn't set in the real world at a real time in a realistic way. This even included Cooking Mama apparently. Back to the RPG thing though; his reason for hating every RPG (didn't matter what it was, if it was an RPG this was his reason for hating it) was that "...monsters won't wait their turn to attack you." That included action RPGs too. I think that's about all I've seen for RPG hate though... Hrm... Umm... I've had a friend tell me why Halo was better than Mass Effect once. Does that count?

(The point of this bad post is to say that I don't really think I've seen RPG hate/ have never been made fun of or anything for liking RPGs (I have been made fun of for liking games no one has ever heard of though (which usually happen to be JRPGs, but that isn't the reason)))

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 07:50:49 PM »

Back in the good old days you were a nerd for playing any kind of video game.  When did this shit go mainstream?

For me it was with the psone. I still remember how games like gran turismo, resident evil and tomb raider suddenly eradicated the "games are for kids" mentality.
People were too embarrassed to play sonic or super mario at a demo station in the middle of a mall, but GT? Hell no, that shit was cool. There were no cute animals jumping around, there were cars and they looked fucking real.
And Lara Croft? For the first time people would look at a videogame character (the art, not the in-game model mind you) and say "she's hot". I remember buying a gaming mag that had a special about tomb raider with lots of pics of Lara in bikini and night dress and some friends of mine who had never shown any interest in videogames were like: "wow is that from a game? What game is it? What's it like?"
Then later another friend of mine was reading the mag. He opens it on the Nights review and was like "wow, this is retarded, you're too old for this shit man". Next there's a review of F1 for the psone. "He looks at the pics for a few minutes in complete silence and then asks: "wow, games look like this now? This is so cool!". Then he looks at the score, realizes that it's slightly lower than Nights' and goes on a rant about how the reviewers must be retarded.
I was actually stupid enough to try to explain how great Nights was but he just looks at me and says: "Dude... WTF?"

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 08:10:22 PM »

John likes JRPGs. He sucks!!!! Let's all laugh at him!

There, now the number is ONE.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »

John likes JRPGs. He sucks!!!! Let's all laugh at him!

There, now the number is ONE.

Now that I think about it, I think JRPG hate really only exists on the internet. In fact, good JRPGs seem to be played by everyone. I've even made the most harcore FPS gamer fawn over SMT: Strange Journey. Of course, I'm still one of the only two people I know who play JRPGs as close to religiously as I do.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »

I can dig what she's getting at.  I can count on one hand the number of gamer friends that I have who like JRPG's.  Maybe 3 or 4.  Most(of my friends) are of the FPS or 'sandbox' genre but personally, JRPG's comprise a big chunk of my all-time favorites.  It's just that these days there aren't many titles that are of the caliber of say, the SQUARE juggernaut of the mid 90's. I guess that to appreciate the genre you'd have to be at least in your 20's(for the most part).  Get what i'm saying?

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »

I was going to give a more elaborate response. But I'll give the quick version instead:

Xenophobia, ignorance, and the growing option to play games designed for Western instead of Eastern audiences.

I can't think of a single complaint of JRPGs that doesn't have an analogous complaint in WRPGs. A lot of the times it isn't even analogous, it's the exact same complaint!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »

To everyone claiming it's a quality problem: There are still good JRPGs coming out, they're just obscure and largely ignored.  Look at Radiant Historia.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: