Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 08:48:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319310 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  jrpg hate in america.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print
Author Topic: jrpg hate in america.  (Read 21757 times)
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2011, 02:49:17 PM »

Or maybe you are burned out and should take a break from JRPGs or gaming in general. For me, JRPGs are as fun as they were 5 or 10 years ago.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »

Eww! God of War!

This post (taken from the game journal) I think sums up a great deal of why many people get their favorite types of games shit on.  I've seen quite a few RPG fans who are completely apoplectic when someone suggests that they play something that's not an RPG.

I'd guess that more than a small portion of the fans that feel like they've been placed in the JRPG ghetto have said (to the people that they feel are making them outcasts) something that's hateful toward "mainstream" gaming, or whatever you'd like to call it.

I think that you're going to get uninformed statements back at you if you make them.  I don't care about God of War (or the aforementioned post about it), but it just made me think of this thread.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2011, 03:54:19 PM »

Honestly who the fuck cares? They're video games.

I don't play these things to climb any social ladder. I play them because they're fun.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »

Yeah, this is a little bit like saying football is better than baseball or whatever. People are gonna play them and like them regardless, nothing you say is going to change it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:12:05 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »

I don't play these things to climb any social ladder. I play them because they're fun.

Bingo.  I'm all about playing nice and enjoying what I find fun.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2011, 04:27:58 PM »

Yeah, this is a little bit like saying football is better than baseball or whatever. People are gonna play them and like them regardless, nothing you say is going to change it.

BASEBALL IS BETTER THAN FOOTBALL GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

go phils
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2011, 04:30:10 PM »

If you said that, you'd be wrong.
I like all kinds of games, but I tend to hate on 3rd person button masher/ddr hybrids like God of war. I love Gears of War, but hate FPS games. Love platformers. Love Elder scrolls games but hate most other western RPGS.

Hell, I like what I like and hate what I hate, and frankly, I don't give a shit what's in style these days. It's going to change next month anyway. When I was a in HS FF7 was the shit, now it's not. Despite my displeasure with ff13 I did finish the game, I just didn't love it. I borderline hated it, but I was able to tough it out. Same with all the games I mentioned earlier. When ff7 was over though, I remember thinking damn, that's it? I want more! That was after like... 70 hours! I miss being hooked like that.

So far Radient Historia is getting me what I was looking for, we'll see if it sticks.

[Edit] dammit Dyeager beat me...
Well go Yanks anyway!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:32:56 PM by MindCandy » Logged

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »

I like all kinds of games, but I tend to hate on 3rd person button masher/ddr hybrids like God of war. I love Gears of War, but hate FPS games. Love platformers. Love Elder scrolls games but hate most other western RPGS.
Hell, I like what I like and hate what I hate, and frankly, I don't give a shit what's in style these days. It's going to change next month anyway. When I was a in HS FF7 was the shit, now it's not. Despite my displeasure with ff13 I did finish the game, I just didn't love it. I borderline hated it, but I was able to tough it out. Same with all the games I mentioned earlier. When ff7 was over though, I remember thinking damn, that's it? I want more! That was after like... 70 hours! I miss being hooked like that.
So far Radient Historia is getting me what I was looking for, we'll see if it sticks.

I have no idea whether or not you just agreed with me or said I was wrong.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2011, 04:34:21 PM »

I have no idea whether or not you just agreed with me or said I was wrong.
Yes

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
PSP - Disgaea
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2011, 06:48:31 PM »

This is probably the most intelligent statement made in this thread.

BTW, I like JRPGs and God of War!  What's with all the God of War hate? ;)

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2011, 09:26:35 PM »

Opinion's a bitch like that.
Mongoose, disagree on baseball, agree on the rest.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
PSP - Disgaea
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2011, 09:29:17 PM »

I've never even seen a game of baseball or football, what do I know?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2011, 09:58:32 PM »

This is probably the most intelligent statement made in this thread.

BTW, I like JRPGs and God of War!  What's with all the God of War hate? ;)
I assume because it's gory, heh.

I like JRPGs, God of War, and FPSes. :-P
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:07:47 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »

God of War's a little bland for me. I prefer Bayonetta or, for a more similar game, Lords of Shadow. I did like II more than I though.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »

BASEBALL IS BETTER THAN FOOTBALL GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

go phils

LMAO! Baseball is now the literal JRPG of the sports world.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: