Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 07:23:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338703 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Recommendations on RPGs, please?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Recommendations on RPGs, please?  (Read 17417 times)
Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2006, 03:20:30 AM »

Ever since my PAL PS2 has been... let's put it as... "cyrogenically frozen", I decided to purchase more NTSC games. In other words, that gives more opportunities to get RPGs that have either:

A. Never been published in Europe
or
B. Have been published in limited quantities and 10 months after the American release.

So, right now I have (in terms of RPGs):

Dragon Quest 8
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Dark Cloud 2
Crimson Sea 2
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
and
Suikoden 5

Now, I have some RPGs I wanna tackle on:

Growlanser Generations
Shin Megami Tensei (any of them... DS2 even got a 99% game from one of the reviewers :O)
Suikoden 3
Atelier Iris (sorry for the mispell)
Kingdom Hearts 2
Makai Kingdom
Phantom Brave

So my question is, what game (or games) from the above list would you recommend? Do you have any suggestions of your own? I would love to know your opinion to make my collection better :).

Thank you :D

What?!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 03:25:00 AM »

I recommend Digital Devil Saga and Digital Devil Saga 2.

I hear I gave the second one a 99%.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 03:26:59 AM »

Absolutely the Digital Devil Saga games. The two games together constitute one of the best RPG experiences on the PS2.

And if you like them you should also pick up Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne. It isn't quite as story heavy, but it's a fantastic game nonetheless. Atelier Iris is also a good game, but a little short and.
Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 03:41:20 AM »

hmmmm, so except for the storyline, the Shin Megamis are the same?

What?!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 03:51:25 AM »

Not quite. The basic system is roughly the same, but there's some tweaks and alterations, the most notable being that you don't recruit demons in DDS and you're limited to 3 party members. It's more of a traditional RPG in that way, as well as having more cutscenes and the like. SMT:N is more like a demonic Pokemon in that you only have the main character, who goes and recruits demons to fight alongside him.

The story in both the DDS series and SMT:N are good, but it's different in presentation and focus. Others could describe it better, but a quick way to cover it would be to say DDS focuses more on the characters, while SMT:N focuses more on the setting.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 06:27:39 AM »

the best rpgs ever made are adyn chronicles,and quest 64 for nintendo 64. ^^;

in all seriousness dont play makai kingdom unless you are prepared to invest hundres of hours,because frankly the game sucks till you get to the point of getting secret characters.also if you get the bad ending with pram on your first playthrough you are fucked.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 09:39:06 AM »

Others could describe it better, but a quick way to cover it would be to say DDS focuses more on the characters, while SMT:N focuses more on the setting.

That's a good way to say it.

I would suggest both Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne (assuming you can find them).
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 11:27:47 AM »

The Digital Devil Saga series isn't one that should be missed, as pretty much everyone else in this thread has said. Nocturne is also a good choice, although I felt that the story in DDS(2) was way better due to the number and overall quality of characters.

Also, if you enjoyed Disgaea, the second installment in the series is coming out at the end of the month, if you're willing to wait. While I haven't played it, it is another Disgaea, so I'm thinking that it'll be worth it :P
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 11:50:51 AM »

I endorse these posts.

DDS and DDS2 are great.   Those would be what I'd recommend as well.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 12:56:48 PM »

I WOULD recommend DDS I & II, but DDS II ruined it for me, so I won't.  

But I would definitely recommend Nocturne.  One of my favorite RPGs.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 12:59:46 PM »

Quote from: "Sketch"
Also, if you enjoyed Disgaea, the second installment in the series is coming out at the end of the month, if you're willing to wait. While I haven't played it, it is another Disgaea, so I'm thinking that it'll be worth it :P

Don't get it, it'll be a waste of your money.

Suikoden III is great, and Atelier Iris is good for a fun romp, if you want something lighthearted. Phantom Brave is possibly the pinnacle of NIS' SRPG series, so if you enjoy those you'll want that and not Disgaea 2.

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 02:10:44 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

Suikoden III is great, and Atelier Iris is good for a fun romp, if you want something lighthearted. Phantom Brave is possibly the pinnacle of NIS' SRPG series, so if you enjoy those you'll want that and not Disgaea 2.

Hey Ley, why do you consider Disgaea 2 a waste of money? Now you're making me worried as I've already preordered (and pre-paid for) it. Is it a lot worse than Disgaea, or do you just not like the series at all?
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 02:20:54 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"

Hey Ley, why do you consider Disgaea 2 a waste of money? Now you're making me worried as I've already preordered (and pre-paid for) it. Is it a lot worse than Disgaea, or do you just not like the series at all?

I have heard that Disgaea 2 is just as good as the original, if not better.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 02:21:56 PM »

Knowing Ash, it's probably due to the lack of Flonne. :P

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 03:01:09 PM »

No be fair, it's not a TERRIBLE game... but it's almost like a carbon copy of Disgaea with new characters. There is virtually no improvement over the original game, which is what I look for most often in a sequel, and much of the wacky humor from the first game is gone. It really hurt Disgaea 2's standing with me. If you just want 'more of the same,' though, it's not too bad. But I expected a bit more.

And yes, a lack of Flonne made me stabbingly angry. :(

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: