Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 03:39:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327156 Posts in 13392 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Recommendations on RPGs, please?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Recommendations on RPGs, please?  (Read 16780 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 03:26:54 PM »

That's a real shame to hear. The quirky humour is one of the reasons I love Disgaea, and I had hoped it would be abundant in the sequel as well.

And lack of Flonne is.. disconcerting. But as long as there is plenty of Etna I'm going to be satisfied. :P
Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 12:10:52 AM »

Hey guys (and maybe gals, I don't know), after my long day at EBgames (work there -_-), I have put my nasty paws over BOTH the DDS. I couldn't find a new DDS1, but the second one was :D. Anyway, I have another question. How is Growlanser Generations? I also want to hear opinions regarding Suikoden 3.

Thank you

oh, and by the way, I already pre-ordered Disgaea 2 :D.

What?!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 12:22:58 AM »

Growlanser 2 and 3 are supposed to be the worst in the series. But the rest hasn't come out here, so they don't have to worry about being in their shadow. I enjoyed 2, as stupid as the story was.
Shadow Blade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 12:54:40 AM »

oh. that's weird. I have heard that the story was actually quite good, but is the gameplay good?

What?!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 01:09:49 AM »

Growlanser generations is absolute horse shit. Don't get it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 01:17:08 AM »

Yeah, I should've noted that even though we may not have the better ones to make the games look worse, some people still hate it.

The story for 3's supposed to be good, but 2's I found horrible. Victor Ireland prefers it for some reason, but it tries to handle several plot threads... In a game that can be beaten in under 20 hours. In the end, you wind up rushing through several plot lines that had they only stuck with one, could've probably made a decent, albit generic, RPG. But I had a lot of fun with the gameplay, so it evened out for me.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 03:30:44 AM »

I enjoyed Growlanser 3 a lot. It's a good game, IMO.

2 was sort of 'meh', but still enjoyable.

Shadow Blade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006, 03:38:42 AM »

Sigh.... so I guess that GG isn't the great game Gamespot calls (they even gave it a 10 in replay value, which is VERY rare). So I guess I'll stop looking for it.

What about Suikoden 3? And does someone know where I can find Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne... not ebay?

What?!
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 03:47:27 AM »

Did you say that your PAL PS2 was not working? Because if it is, you can get the European version of Nocturne for just 9.99 which is insanely cheap for such an awesome game.

Finding a new, unused copy of the NTSC version will probably prove quite hard...
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006, 03:51:42 AM »

I'd still get Growlanser Generations for Growlanser 3 alone. But only if it was like, 15 to 25 bucks. :P

And Suikoden 3 is pretty good, story-wise. The game's pace is pretty slow though, and the music is sort of crappy, IMO. But overall, it's definately still worth playing through.

Shadow Blade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 04:56:07 AM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Did you say that your PAL PS2 was not working? Because if it is, you can get the European version of Nocturne for just 9.99 which is insanely cheap for such an awesome game.

Finding a new, unused copy of the NTSC version will probably prove quite hard...

Yeah, but I decided to get rid of my PAL collection because NTSC is better overall. Just need to sell my games through Ebay.

Well, I'll get Growlanser, just because I'm a big anime fan :P

What?!
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »

Growlanser Generations is a better game than it gets credit for.  Rather than repeat myself, I'll just send you to my review: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/growlansergen/index.html

The Shin Megami Tensei games all deserve to be played if you're really into RPGs.  Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne has some of the deepest gameplay in any RPG ever and the DDS games are all around awesome.

If you haven't played Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, I highly recommend it.  It's very different than your standard RPG with the result that many people just didn't understand it.  If you do "get it," it'll provide many hours of enjoyment at little cost (I've seen it selling used for under $10US).

Atelier Iris is a fun game.  I haven't tried the sequel yet; I hear it's about as good (better in some areas, worse in others).

Wild Arms 4 is another RPG that's worth checking into.  The story is really cliche, but the characters are enjoyable, and it has a unique and fun battle system that offers many cool strategic possibilities.  Nice anime style art as well (including a couple of anime style opening song/animation sequences when you load up your saved games).

Suikoden 3 has a really good story (with multiple characters' paths intertwining), but the gameplay wasn't very good in my opinion.  Too much running around areas that you've already visited a million times.  However it is pretty cheap these days and it has a really long and very cool anime opening so you might want to check it out anyway.

Finally, if your machine can play Japanese games and the language doesn't bug you, I strongly recommend Summon Night 3.  Best Strategy/RPG title around.  Hopefully Atlus will translate the upcoming 4th game in the series (I have hope since they're publishing the GBA spin-offs).

Shadow Blade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 12:03:42 AM »

Thanks Robert. Your reviewed help me, I think I'll get Growlanser. I've endured Tales of Symphonia story so I can endure all the cliches.

About SMT:N, I wish I could find it somewhere but unfortunatley, it costs more than 70$ at EBAY. sigh... I've got both DDS games so it's good, but I wish I could get Nocturne as well because my friend never stops talking about it.

About Breath of Fire, yes, at the EBgames I work there's a used copy of the game for 10$, so maybe I should get it. I have heard a lot about the fact that it's more "unique" than the everyday RPGs, but I have heard in Gamespot for example that it's a very short game. I hope not.

Wild Arms has always been a series that I wished I could play, mainly because only the third part was released in Europe. How's Alter Code F? Is it better than part 4? And I'm happy that they didn't change the original Japanese op, because as a fan of J-pop\anime and such, I don't like what they do in games like the Tales series.

Suikoden is actually not cheap because it's very rare. You can get it at EBgames online, but I can't make sure if they have the case and the instruction manual. I own Suikoden 5 and many people tell me I should own the third one as well, mainly because the second one costs hundreds.

I have more questions tho.

1. How's the Xenosaga series and should I get the third one as well?
2. How's Tales of Legendia?
3. Same goes for the Grandia series

thank you all :)

What?!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 12:39:40 AM »

Xenosaga... I liked the first, but a lot of people didn't. I hated II, and so did a lot of fans of 1, but some people liked it - they either were able to deal with the gameplay or are madmen who genuinely enjoy it. III sounds like it is the best in the series hands down, but after being burned by II, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Nevertheless, I will play it to the end if only to finish the story, and if you're going to get the XS games you may as well go and get III as well. Heck, III has text summaries of 1 and 2 apparantly, so you could feasibly skip both games, though I wouldn't recommand it.

I can't comment on Legendia, but for the Grandia games, or at least 1 and 2.... I had fun with them, personally. 1 was ok at the start, boring after crossing the End of the World (a place, not an event), then was really enjoyable for disc 2. Grandia II meanwhile is consistantly good, and the more recommanded of the two. Their stories can be entertaining, but honestly are stupid cliched bullshit. And both pull horrible twists at the end that undermine major plot events, an act I call pulling a Grandia thanks to these two doing it twice /in a row/. If you want me to be more specific...
Code:
Both have major heroines sacrifice themselves, only to be resurrected in a horribly contrived method at the end of the game, thus not only undermining what they've done, but cheapening the story on a whole, possibly to the point where it really is just a bunch of rubbish.

Oh, and BoF: It is short, but it'd be murder if it was longer. The game uses something called the SOL system, Scenario Overlay. It's like a new game +, but you only keep unspent Party EXP, all skills you've learned, and items that are stored in the new game, and more cutscenes are availble when you replay. It's also pretty challenging thanks to these and other factors, and if you die you have to either restart at the last save point, or at the beginning of the game. To further compound this, you now have a D-Counter which, after you've fully unlocked the dragon powers, steadily rises throughout the game, and moreso when you use the dragon powers - there is no way to lower this short of using the SOL features, and if you reach 100 the game ends. Don't let that scare you off though, it's a one of a kind experince you won't get with any other game, and I'm told the ending is amongst the best game endings ever.
Shadow Blade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 12:57:37 AM »

K, I'll get the BoF tomorrow if it's still in stock. still waiting for opinions.

What?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: