Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332801 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Recommendations on RPGs, please?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Recommendations on RPGs, please?  (Read 17159 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2006, 03:15:31 PM »

WA4 is a blast. One of the best combat engines I've ever seen. Battles load fast and play fast.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2006, 03:18:49 PM »

Quote from: "Shadow Blade"

I have never played the original Wild Arms game mainly for the reason the first one wasn't distributed properly in European countries. The second one wasn't even in any store I had looked! So for a person who haven't played the original, would you recommend ACF or should I just jump over to WA3 or 4?

Just skip WA3. That game is pretty boring. :P

You can play ACF first, since you can do a transfer to WA4, with your file. But if that doesn't matter to you, definately give WA4 a shot.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2006, 03:24:18 PM »

Actually, my biggest complaint about Grandia 3 isn't the difficulty, but the way holds your hand through EVERYTHING. Every dungeon is accompanied by a complete minimap, so the sense of exploration is totally lost.

i lol'ed

minimap = win
wasting hours because you are lost = fail

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2006, 03:35:53 PM »

I actually really liked Wild Arms 3. But it's also the only WA game I've played, so I can't compare with the other three (four?). The battle system is pretty simple, but fun, and the story and setting is quite interesting. You don't often see RPGs set in in the Wild West. It also boasts one of the best RPG soundtracks to date. I rank Michiko Naruke up there with Yasunori Mitsuda as one of the top game soundtrack composers.

Also, the Wild Arm games are all totally unconnected storywise, so you don't have to worry about missing out on important plot points.

Wild Arms 3 should also be pretty cheap these days, so pick it up if you find it. I usually see it going for around $19.99-29.99.

Oh, I should mention that I haven't finished WA3 yet, despite having had it in my possesion for a year and a half now. Not because I got bored with it or anything, but it's a VERY long game.

Edit: And I should mention my biggest complaint about WA3 - having to "search" for towns. That friggin' sucks :P
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2006, 03:43:44 PM »

I hated Wild Arms 3 for one reason:

Code:
"You get to fight FILGAIA, YOUR OWN PLANET IN A TEN FORM FINAL BOSS BATTLE THAT WILL LAST FOR THREE HOURS IF YOU HAVEN'T PROPERLY PREPARED YOURSELF!"

"You fucking bitch."

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2006, 04:10:07 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
Actually, my biggest complaint about Grandia 3 isn't the difficulty, but the way holds your hand through EVERYTHING. Every dungeon is accompanied by a complete minimap, so the sense of exploration is totally lost.

i lol'ed

minimap = win
wasting hours because you are lost = fail

I'm all for minimaps that show areas you've already explored, like the ones in Champions of Norrath or Diablo 2.  Minimaps like the ones in FFX or Grandia 3?  Retarded.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2006, 04:16:22 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
I hated Wild Arms 3 for one reason:

Code:
"You get to fight FILGAIA, YOUR OWN PLANET IN A TEN FORM FINAL BOSS BATTLE THAT WILL LAST FOR THREE HOURS IF YOU HAVEN'T PROPERLY PREPARED YOURSELF!"

"You fucking bitch."

Yes, I think that's the worst
Code:
final boss
in all of gaming history. Took me over an hour with a faq because I didn't wanna deal with all that BS.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2006, 04:17:01 PM »

Ashton:

Code:
The boss of many forms wasn't that bad.  You can die on any form and not have to start over at the beginning.  In fact I died on the last form and started on the same form at full strength which made everything easy.  I guess it would suck if you ran out of gimmel coins though.  

Oh and Tales of Legendia is okay.  The second half of the game (character quests) is actually better than the main voice acted part of the game.  It does a really good job of character development, but the battle system gets really repetative.  Hold off on this one since there are better games out there.

Again Wild Arms 3 is the worse one in the series for me.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2006, 04:36:35 PM »

Quote from: "CluelessWonder"
Ashton:

Code:
The boss of many forms wasn't that bad.  You can die on any form and not have to start over at the beginning.  In fact I died on the last form and started on the same form at full strength which made everything easy.  I guess it would suck if you ran out of gimmel coins though.  

Oh and Tales of Legendia is okay.  The second half of the game (character quests) is actually better than the main voice acted part of the game.  It does a really good job of character development, but the battle system gets really repetative.  Hold off on this one since there are better games out there.

Again Wild Arms 3 is the worse one in the series for me.

Opposite for me. I loved WA3, but couldn't get into WA4. I liked WA2 alot as well.

Maybe it's because I was playing other games at the time I tried out WA4. The battle system was fun though. There's too many RPGs coming out these days. @_@ I don't have enough time to play them all like I used to.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2006, 05:24:17 PM »

I really don't know what is the deal with WA3 last boss. Not only he was painfully easy, but I don't remember he even lasting that much to die.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2006, 05:34:26 PM »

There were some tricky parts....like one form would auto heal unless you killed it in one round, another form would swap their strengths/weakenesses every round and the last form was just annoying.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2006, 05:39:20 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
There were some tricky parts....like one form would auto heal unless you killed it in one round, another form would swap their strengths/weakenesses every round and the last form was just annoying.

Haha, I guess I just have a terrible memory when it comes to games.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2006, 06:06:14 PM »

I don't see where all the complaints about the WA3 final boss are coming from. I mean, when you think 'final boss', wouldn't you rather have a tough as nails, 10-form bastard as opposed to some wimpy final boss battle that is easier to win than it is to lose (hi FFX.)?
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2006, 06:25:41 PM »

No...I'd like to see the game ending and not have the final story momentum killed.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2006, 07:25:48 PM »

ZING

Oh yeah, and I hated WA4. A fun battle system dungeon design aren't enough to make a great game for me. I need a story and characters that I, ya know, /like/.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: