Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 07:50:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334680 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Recommendations on RPGs, please?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Recommendations on RPGs, please?  (Read 17224 times)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2006, 12:07:30 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
No no, it is the composer Chopin.

Videogames and culture?! What is this?! Though from what i've read of the plot of this game, it has nothing to do with Chopin really.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2006, 11:13:56 PM »

Absolutely the Digital Devil Saga games. The two games together constitute one of the best RPG experiences on the PS2.

Then I should hurry up and get this game before it become too much rare. Unfortunatelly I don't love used games. Is there a place where I could buy both of them brand new?
Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2006, 12:19:46 AM »

EB might sell the second one as new, but it's very hard to find a new copy of the first one.

By the way, should I preorder SMT:DS?

What?!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2006, 12:24:45 AM »

Quote from: "Shadow Blade"

You won't get any bonuses, but it might be a good idea just to be safe. Depending on where you live and the stores you have though, it might not be a big deal.

Edit: If you're wondering if it's worth getting on the other hand, and not simply whether you should pre-order or buy off the shelf... It's looking like a worthwhile buy. It's not the same as other MegaTens, as it's apparantly not as hard outside of boss battles and has a battle system that looks similar to SO3, but I enjoyed that, and it looks to have strong graphic adventure elements.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2006, 12:34:12 PM »

My recommendations are: Dragon Quest 8...great graphics and gameplay...story is predictable but the immense size of the explorable area makes up for this.

Grandia series...overall a great series. In my opinion this series had some of the most likeable characters and one of the best battle systems in all of role playing games. Grandia Extreme was the weakest of all the Grandias though.

FFX- incredible graphics, twisting storyline, fun interactive battles.

Zelda series....same thing as the Grandia series. Although more action oriented. These games are some of the best. Great gameplay.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »

Quote from: "Anime & RPGl and"
Zelda series....same thing as the Grandia series. Although more action oriented. These games are some of the best. Great gameplay.

... Those series are /nothing/ alike, unless you just meant that what you said for your Grandia blurb's the same for Zelda. Even then, people don't remember Zelda for it's combat system (despite that essentially resulting in half the action RPGs that're out there), and I don't recall any exceptionally great characters. Unless you count Tingle, then you might be a freak.

Outside of those? Grandia has exploration as a story theme, Zelda has it as a gameplay theme. And Zelda has dungeons focusing on puzzle solving and using new items to access new places, while Grandia... I think I stepped on a switch or something once.
Shadow Blade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2006, 01:31:10 AM »

besides, I don't think Zelda is considered RPG. More like... Action\Adventure.

Plus, I already have DQ8

What?!
Puddles

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2006, 05:50:59 PM »

Quote from: "blackthirteen"
Absolutely the Digital Devil Saga games. The two games together constitute one of the best RPG experiences on the PS2.

Then I should hurry up and get this game before it become too much rare. Unfortunatelly I don't love used games. Is there a place where I could buy both of them brand new?

You should be able to find them both new on eBay. The 1st goes for about $50, the second for somehwat less.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2006, 03:29:12 AM »

EB might sell the second one as new, but it's very hard to find a new copy of the first one.

I was lucky as hell, I've found Digital Devil Saga episode 1 brand new while going in a flea market. Now I will hurry to get episode 2 before it's too late.

hmmm now that I'm thinking about it, is the story connected with other previous games? Will I understand the story perfectly?
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2006, 03:33:25 AM »

The Digital Devil Saga games are completely stand alone. They don't have any ties to the other SMT games, other than purely thematic ones.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2006, 03:34:53 AM »

that's awesome then, thanks!
Shadow Blade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2006, 06:47:04 PM »

I have a question about the Atelier Iris games. Are they good or not?

What?!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2006, 06:53:20 PM »

I have a question about the Atelier Iris games. Are they good or not?

The first one's decent, but not all that stand out of a title outside of the whole 'hey, this RPG's the only one mostly in 2D on the PS2!' thing. I enjoyed the item creation, but heard it got gimped in the sequel.
Shadow Blade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2006, 06:58:56 PM »

well, according to the site, it got good scores (90% and 89%)

What?!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2006, 07:19:01 PM »

well, according to the site, it got good scores (90% and 89%)

It's always good to check other sites too, and Gamerankings is my personal fave for seeing what the overall score for a game is.

Edit: Keep in mind to check /why/ someone likes/dislikes a game. Some games may have crippling flaws that can ruin the whole thing for you, or something a reviewer complains about (IE lots of cutscenes) may not mean a damn to you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: